Can it be the reason why Uriah Heep never were taken seriously....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Of all their fantasy-themed lyrics, "The Wizard" is my favorite. It just seems to have a nice, comfortable flow to it. Never really liked "Rainbow Demon" because it sounds too much like, "Hey, let's do something like that sounds like ELP." :laugh:

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

On what planet did this happen?

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think Demons and Wizards sold 3 million copies. Does that mean they were taken seriously? What an absurd premise.
    As far as Byron, he was an alcoholic and ended up being booted from the band.

old school likes this.
  4. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

My memory (yes, I was a teenager back then) is that lots of folks liked the Heap but they were nobody's favorite band, we all preferred one of DP, LZ or BS. I think it is sort of wonderful that bands like that keep going and rock on for decades with pockets of fans all over the world. It's a better life than most and the idea of them being taken 'seriously' or not seems sort of irrelevant. The guys can play and they seem to be having fun still. This thread has me thinking I need to find a decent Heap collection or pick something up in the used racks. Good luck to them.

5. old school

old school Senior Member

Why waste my time?

old time fan and Zeki like this.
  6. old school

old school Senior Member

Why don't you get out of that cave and find out for yourself!

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

How could he look cool? With all that chewing gum on his boot. :laugh:

Mark B. likes this.
  8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

They were at least known, I'd say moderately popular if you were male and into hard rock. Easy Livin' and Stealin' got pretty good radio airplay. There were a lot of competitors in that basic genre at the time. Perhaps they didn't stick out enough and had somewhat of a Deep Purple sound. Plus it sounds like they were never really promoted. I started off with them with the Sweet Freedom LP and dug that so much I bought the Best of Uriah Heep.

As far as Byrons look in the video you posted, personally, I thought a lot of rockers from Hendrix to Bowie to Plant to Jagger all had a similar somewhat feminine, sequin bedecked look, maybe even a feather boa........which was just the way a lot of rock frontman-ship was at the time. Ronnie Van Zant they were not. And thats Ok. I still love to play my Heep albums.

jay.dee, Zeki, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  9. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Well, I particularly like the guitar break in Rainbow Demon, but the whole albums full of musical moments I really like. Very melodic- and I do prefer it to anything DP put out (just for those who call them Purple copyists). In fact the only thing I really dislike is the final note of the album, just too over the top.

10. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

They weren't taken seriously. They were second-billed to a puppet show!

Oops, that was Spinal Tap. Easy to get them confused.

Actually "Demons and Wizards" is a pretty good album

Bananas&blow likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I love the whole first side of that album but I am pretty cold to the second side, especially "Paradise/The Spell." But every track on Side 1 is great.

12. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Personally, I find Lee Kerslake's mustache harder to take seriously in the OP's video than Byron's flourishes.

David Byron had one foot in the grave from alcoholism by 1975. He was much tighter and in control around the time of the live album.

old school and Zeki like this.
  13. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

My ears still hurt from enduring them at the Whisky A Go Go 40 some off years ago. Sloppy and intentionally way too loud. Subsequent live exposure was not much better but at least the volume was not so extreme.

Back in the day I very much liked their debut album (US version) and Look At Yourself and parts of Salisbury and Demons & Wizrds. Today, not so much. I have not played their stuff in years. There are many, many better bands of that era than Heep but for a while they were fun.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  14. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

First concert I ever attended was Uriah Heep headlining in Denver think it was 1973 or 1974. Sold out show, arena help around 15,000 if my memory is correct and it was a big show. Everyone I knew had Demons and Wizards and the Live 1973 is still one of my favorite albums. Lost interest after Sweet Freedom.

15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I was an English lit major so I know where it came from but it doesn't make it sound any worse. I mean hoobastank could release sgt pepper but that band name is still awful

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

An English Lit major and you think "steaming heap of"! Hmm.

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Yea if that is some bull I don't know what is.

Zeki likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hey we had a college boy here last week typing inarrested for interested, so...:whistle:

Fullbug, old school and Zeki like this.
  19. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i think they laid the groundwork for the horror that was STYX and their ilk.........

MungoMusic and Echo like this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yes but I wrote it in iambic pentameter

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure how much "product they moved" - at least in comparison to the bigger bands. UH had 4 gold albums in the US across 1972/73 and no platinum releases.

Gold is good, of course, but it's not superstar level. And none of their albums ever charted higher than #23 US. They also had one single crack the top 40...

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Based on hair/mustache/clothes, he would've looked silly anywhere - the stage was the least of his worries! :laugh:

Not sure if that song's indicative of the UH catalog, but IMO, it's a pretty bad track. Maybe their other stuff's better...

MungoMusic likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Platinum didn't exist until 1976. Also, in '72-'73, a Gold album represented a million dollars in sales. Today gold is 500,000 units sold.

MungoMusic, tkl7 and old school like this.
  24. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Agreed with everything you've said here. I don't mean to argue (and I don't think anyone else would either) that Heep ever approached Led Zep or even Purple-level superstar status. They were a C-list band whose big moment came and went quickly. They did have a couple of really good years in the States, though, and they've kept soldiering on.

The threshold for "being taken seriously" is a personal thing (if it's a thing at all), but I'd say that multiple gold records and arena-headlining tours qualify.

Zeki likes this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I didn't know Doug Henning performs magic AND sings.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.