Can it be the reason why Uriah Heep never were taken seriously....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Who is your favorite Heep vocalist?

carlwm likes this.
  2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I just realised. Here the thread is about a perception of a lack of respect for UH and already near 1000 replies. Someone cares.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Zeppo.

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Pete Goalby.

stax o' wax likes this.
  5. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I saw Heep with Pete a couple of times and they were outstanding.
    I saw them open for Def Leppard on the Head First tour and they blew Def Leppard away.

carlwm likes this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Loved to have seen that one!

7. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Anytime you want to start a Wishbone Ash thread, I'm game. :righton:

old school likes this.
  8. steve phillips

I started with "Live" and it made me a fan for life.

9. steve phillips

I think that's more than fair. I have Fallen Angel, and Innocent Victim. I think they are good albums, but I just don't play them very often, choosing to spend that time on the Byron era. A friend of mine had Abominog back when it was current, and we played that a lot and liked it. I don't know if I would like it now. I haven't heard it in 25 years or so. I'm starting to really like the Bernie Shaw era stuff.

carlwm likes this.
  10. steve phillips

Yeah, Pete Goalby, that's his name. Wasn't he on Abominog? I remember liking him back in the day. I might have to re-visit that one.

carlwm likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He was, indeed. Sang on Head First & Equator as well.

It's essentially Uriah Heep - the AOR years but they do it so well!

12. steve phillips

I've never heard Head First or Equator. I'll check those out. This band has a rich history, to say the least.

carlwm likes this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Equator is a very slick pop/rock record & therefore probably the most reviled album in the band's catalogue. Having said that, I love it!

I will say it sounds more like Asia than Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble though!

steve phillips likes this.
  14. steve phillips

Let's talk about "Wonderworld" a little bit. I remember when that was released, but for some reason I didn't buy it, maybe because there were so many other albums to consider, and only so much grass-mowing money to spend. I did pick up a nice copy sometime in the 90's and have enjoyed it. I know it's not a fan favorite, but after listening to the whole thing this morning, there are some really good tracks on it. If I had to pick three favorites, they would be the title track, The Easy Road, and Something or Nothing. Those three stand up with their classic material to me. I think the main issue with this record is the production seems to be a little dull, or flat sounding. I'm pretty sure I read that it was rushed. I think if it had the sound quality of Demons and Wizards it might be seen in a more favorable light.

stax o' wax likes this.
  15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Mine is the original vinyl.

vinyl diehard and steve phillips like this.
  16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't know...this might get in the way of you figuring out what the other song is (on Demons and Wizards) that Clarke plays bass on! :D

17. steve phillips

Ha Ha! I can multi-task. :laugh:

Zeki likes this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is what it says in wiki, under personnel:

• Mark Clarke – bass on tracks 1, 10 and 11, co-lead vocals on track 1
    Track 1 is The Wizard. The original album doesn't have a track 10 and 11. And the "remastered '96 with bonus tracks", track 10 is "Why" a co-write with Newton (so I doubt Clarke is on that). But it could be, I guess. Track 11 is an extended version of Why.

For the latter, it says recorded during Demons and Wizards session.

That would be two songs...and, come to think of it, Clarke just says "recorded two tracks for Demons and Wizards. That might be it (with wiki wrong about the single version of Why).

Maybe.

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I think it just sounds like tired, like a dead end of that line up. Exactly like Purple Who Do We Think We Are. You picked up the standout songs, the rest are classic filler. A big step down from 72-73 records and next year Return to Fantasy was a major, major return to form if you ask me.

steve phillips, stax o' wax and Zeki like this.
  20. old school

old school Senior Member

Use the search their already is a excellent Wishbone Ash ABA going on now.

steve phillips and Bob J like this.
  21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I only have the "Classic Heep: Anthology", but it is very good and I never thought the band was a joke.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Bad example. A very enjoyable album.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  23. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Who Do We Think We Are is great! Jon Lord is at the forefront on a number of songs because Blackmore limited his playing intentionally.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Here's a great Mick Box interview that covers a lot of ground including harmonies:

Ray Shasho: What inspired you and David to write “Gypsy?”
    Mick Box: “We were in a rehearsal studio, where it used to be us in one room and Deep Purple in the other room rehearsing. It was a hell of a racket. I came up with a riff and it was very-very powerful. In those days we were working around using harmonies as an instrument. In the 60’s harmonies were always very sweet and they just sang along with the chorus … just following the melody line and singing harmony to it, were as we wanted to use it more as an instrument. So we came up with the idea of the block harmonies that are on “Gypsy.” And it came together rather quickly. David was always intrigued with Gypsies anyway because there was a big Gypsy culture in Europe. So it just came together very quickly.”

THE CLASSIC ROCK MUSIC REPORTER: Exclusive: Mick Box of Uriah Heep “When we were onstage, we were untouched and unbeatable."

steve phillips and carlwm like this.
  25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

And Wonderworld is no slouch either. These days I'd rather take it and the preceding Sweet Freedom, their return to a more straight-forward rock, over the Dungeons & Dragons musical from Demons & Wizards and Magician's Birthday. I loved D&D rock when I was a teenager, but I cannot connect to it the same way any longer. Maybe when I get older and wiser I'll return to fantasy again.

Hence nowadays the best Uriah Heep in studio are for me their first three (Salisbury above all), then Sweet Freedom and Wonderworld, and nothing more. OK, I have a soft spot (a guilty pleasure?) for Conquest, especially when... It Ain't Easy! :D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Rufus rag and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.