Can - Live In Cuxhaven 1976

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tedd, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Tedd

Tedd Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Eiszeit

Eiszeit Forum Resident

Weirdly that link takes me to this:
    "Coronation Street" Cookbook: Over 100 Favourite Recipes from the Stars of the Street

I am in UK mind and the link goes to an Amazon.co.uk page. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get a mail from some retailer telling me the album is coming soon and would I like to order it.

3. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

This title will be released on October 14, 2022.

Jimmy Jam, Eiszeit and Dennis Metz like this.
  4. Eiszeit

Eiszeit Forum Resident

Yes, I read somewhere that it was being released in October, gives me time to start saving.

5. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

6. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident

I turned 14 in 1973, and had a paper route, which earned me about $35/month. My uncle took to Licorice Pizza in downtown Long Beach (Ca) and I saw this strange looking LP (Can: Future Days), it looks so cool I bought it without ever hearing it or ever having heard of Can.

Loved that album and fell in love with Krautrock back then, an affliction I still enjoy, albeit on CDs nowadays...

Hopefully, this live venture features some great versions of songs off Ede Bamyasi and Future Days... such a magical time, for Can, for me and for Krautrock releases...

7. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

8. marmalade166

tracklist according to

The CAN - live

Morning Glory 8'50
    Bel Air 14'20
    Dizzy Dizzy 9'00
    Vertigo 11'20
    Vernal Equinox 11'10
    Chain Reaction 23'00
    Spoon 6'30
    Vitamin C 6'00
    Mother Sky 10'00

9. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

I find it a bit strange that the tracks are not identified in this CAN live series.

marmalade166 likes this.
  10. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident

What great work, collecting all those live events on the website!!!!

11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm torn, I would like to hear the actual songs identified a little more clearly in the tracklist. But at the same time, they mess around with things so much that it isn't always such a clear line and I kind of like the element of surprise when approaching these archival releases.

RogerE and crozcat like this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Those are probably bootleggers' track titles, guessing what the band are playing. When Can played, their "songs" could be the basis for an improvisation - though the improvisation could end up going somewhere else entirely - or the songs could emerge and develop out of an improvisation or they could even sometimes be played simultaneously - the drumbeat from one song, the melody of another, the bassline of another. So a lot of the time it's guesswork and obviously the band - or Irmin! - don't really have any interest in identifying fragments of or quotations from songs.

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Do you guys think we should combine this thread with the other two and just have a single "Can Archival Live Releases" thread? Users might be less likely to miss out on announcements of new releases that way.

Anyway, I checked out Brighton recently and enjoyed the hell out of it, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

timnor, MC Rag, RAZORMADE and 3 others like this.
  14. marmalade166

I put a request in a while back but got knocked back - mebbe someone else could try again? Or even start a new thread with links to the old threads in the first post?

15. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Is this really only an 1LP release? Haven't seen more than one disc being shown on any promo pictures

16. coltrane1013

coltrane1013 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this Cuxhaven release. Have both the Stuttgart and Brighton 3LP releases. Usually play the shows over the speakers first and then a headphone session a few days later for an entirely new experience. Such an interesting band.

17. Z eb

Z eb Forum Resident

I know what Volume 4 and 5 is, One is a Two Disc Set From 1977 and the other a One Disc (CD atleast) and is THE Best sounding Concert that exists with Damo.....

Spoon, who i sent 15 or so concerts, told me ;)
    Next Year !!

izgoblin, MC Rag, uzn007 and 13 others like this.
  18. marmalade166

I must admit I got really excited when I first read this, thinking it might be one of the great 1971 gigs like Volkshalle, Watzenborn-Steinberg, Giessen 1971-10-22* but on further reflection I guess it's either going to be Edinburgh 25/08/1973 or Paris May 1973 as their quality is better. Don't get me wrong, the 1973 gigs are great but there is something about the energy of the 1971/72 gigs that I REALLY like!

I like getting a 1977 gig as I adore Holger on shortwave radio whilst Rosko brings the funk - maybe it'll be the rest of the Keele University concert seeing as they've already released part of it on the Can Live (the first 5.50 seconds and last 0.15 of Fizz)

Volkshalle, Watzenborn-Steinberg, Giessen 1971-10-22

01 - Peking O 22:17 [-50]
    02 - Paperhouse 11:57 [-50]
    03 - Full Moon On The Highway 6:39 [-45]
    04 - Lies 9:14 [-70..50] first 3:04 [-50] the rest
    05 - Hakucho-Convolutions 18.54 [-100..-85]
    06 - Bring Me Coffee Or Tea 7:08 [-100..-75] first 2:57 [-75] the rest
    07 - You Doo Right 16:36 [-75]
    08 - Halleluwah 13:05 [-75]
    09 - Turtles Have Short Legs 6:35

crozcat likes this.
  19. Z eb

Z eb Forum Resident

Well, i sent 15 concerts, and within a day they deceided their 2 next ones, we can still get the others you mentioned, cause i sent all the ones i had (almost)

Fred Dender, omiewise and surfling like this.
  20. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Is your contact with them good enough to inquire about the strange remastering choices for the shows they have released so far?

MC Rag likes this.
  21. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

What is strange about them?

22. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Just the way they mixed and mastered them.
    It's pretty obvious on the Stuttgart release where the full recording has been available for years.
    To me the official release did sound good until I heard the untreated tape. It has a LOT more high end.

MC Rag likes this.
  23. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Mixed? I’m pretty sure these were just audience cassette recordings from a pair of microphones and not multitrack tapes.

izgoblin likes this.
  24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Audience recordings with the tape player and mic hidden in someone's coat if I recall.

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Sounds like you are admitting to something @ralphb ? :winkgrin:

ARK, MC Rag, Larry L and 2 others like this.