Can - Live In Cuxhaven 1976

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tedd, Jul 23, 2022.

1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

The Lost Tapes was my introduction to Can its fantastic and without it I probably would not have bought the other albums.
    If only other bands had such quality archive material

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

interview with the late great Andy Hall about his time with Can and how he came to record them so much in the '70s

tobyd, jwoverho, surfling and 2 others like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Am I the only one who really wants to hear a live recording of the Rosko/Reebop lineup?

ARK, izgoblin, marmalade166 and 3 others like this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

No you're not.

ARK, hutlock, bRETT and 1 other person like this.
  5. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I once had a boot of their Aston 1977 show with this lineup, and the performance was pretty uninspired. It was more like aimless jamming than the spontaneous creativity Can is known for. As I recall, the music never really took off. I don't know if they had collectively lost it live by then, or if it was just an off night.

bRETT likes this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

If the band thinks they have something worth releasing, I'll give it a listen. I'm happy with what they've delivered so far.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  7. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

I haven't listened to a full show of this lineup, but I like that video on YT with Holger playing a radio.

marmalade166 and uzn007 like this.
  8. no.nine

I've seen some live video from '77 but don't remember what I thought, which probably means I wasn't impressed. Looking to revisit again, I just found a track on youtube from the very same boot I had!

This clip confirmed my recollection. The music doesn't go anywhere. The track is cut short here but it accurately reflects my memory of the entire boot.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the more laid back, grooving, jamming vibe of that lineup, of course. But to me it just doesn't measure up to what I know Can had been previously capable of. IMO it's watered down and lackluster.

jay.dee and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I like it more than you do. Sure, it's more a traditioanl rock jam than you expect from Can, but it has a great mood and builds pretty well.

uzn007 likes this.
  10. no.nine

Well, that's the thing. I'm not interested in traditional rock jamming from Can. It's like how I feel about Miles Davis' Jack Johnson album. Lots of Miles fans love it and even consider it one of his best. But to me, it's more of a traditional rock jam album. And that's just not what I want from '70s Miles because he was capable of so much more.

I admit I don't use this same yardstick with all musical artists. I have some favorites who I cut slack for things like this (not consciously, just in terms of my honest reaction). But Can and '70s Miles are two examples of artists from whom I expect more just because they're so adventurous and exhilarating when at the top of their game that doing more-traditional anything is just a disappointment for me.

Jarra Lad and bRETT like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not sure where you'd put Miles' On the Corner but that's my favorite album of his. Which may be why I like this era of Can, they aren't that far apart.

420JJJazz666 and uzn007 like this.
  12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I sure hope someone gave Andy the chance to tell his stories for 4 or 5 hours and recorded it!

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The Graublau stuff was one of the highlights of the set for me, though I loved all of disc one in particular.

Amoepe and marmalade166 like this.
  14. no.nine

I put On The Corner WAY up there! Personally, I don't see a similarity with anything I've heard from the Rosko/Reebop era. I think OTC is much more creative!

Tristero and bRETT like this.
  15. marmalade166

The Keele University gig from March '77 may be more up your street, excellent recording as well as I think the students recorded it for their radio show if I remember correctly

CAN
    Keele University
    Keele, UK
    2 March 1977

cd1
    1 Fizz
    2 Improvisation/Pinch/Don't Say No
    3 Improvisation

cd2
    1 Animal Waves

Holger Czukay
    Michael Karoli
    Jaki Liebezeit
    Irmin Schmidt
    Rosko Gee

uzn007 likes this.
  16. no.nine

Thanks. I just spot checked it on youtube and it does sound promising. I'll listen to this when I can.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    marmalade166 likes this.
  17. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'll be grabbing this one as well. Cd is fine for me for these shows.

I used to have a bunch of their shows on cdr, grabbed them years ago from an FTP site some 20 years ago. There was a really great 77 show, but I can't recall what date it was. Sound quality was ace.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. marmalade166

Just realised I made a mistake, this is the gig that the University's students recorded for their radio station, might be worth checking out as well to see if you like it?

University of Nottingham, Nottingham, England
    1977-03-19

Source: Recorded & mixed on Studer B52 tape machine using 8 Neumann KM 84 mics > 2 Neve Kelso mixing desks >
    two master 10” reels of ¼” tape

Holger Czukay - short wave radio, gadgets
    Rosko Gee - bass
    Michael Karoli - guitar, vocals
    Jaki Liebezeit - drums
    Irmin Schmidt - keyboards

Disk1:
    01 - Fizz 11:03
    02 - Don't Say No 13:02
    03 - Cascade Waltz 9:52
    04 - Animal Waves 18:03

Disk 2:
    05 - Dizzy Dizzy 11:38
    06 - I Want More 11:24
    Encore:
    07 - Call Me 13:06

Total time: 1:28:09

izgoblin, uzn007 and no.nine like this.
  19. JohnOO

JohnOO Well-Known Member

It's a fantastic sounding recording, and yhe performance is very "subtle" for Can.

Reebop didn't play with them live all that much, from what I've heard.

There is a London concert they did in late 1976, with Rosko on bass, that is very good.

20. marmalade166

Do you mean this one ? According to Rob Young's book Rosko joined late 1976 in time for this English tour so the stated line up is wrong here

CAN

NEW VICTORIA THEATRE, LONDON
    1976-12-04

Quality: Worth and A now
    ========================

This show was originally combined with Grenoble as a single post from different ends of 1976. The original is very good
    sound quality, audibly from a master, but very raw and slightly distorted. Given the theatre and the short length, this
    is possibly a BBC FM broadcast if the phase shift is anything to go by, although others claim it is either SBD or a very
    good AUD.

Anyway, the simple remastering improves the sound quality substantially, so I hope folks like it.

Holger Czukay, bass guitar

Michael Karoli, guitar, vocals,

Jaki Liebezeit, drums, percussion

Irmin Schmidt, keyboards

01 - Moonshake + Don't Say No 14:13

02 - Vitamin C 7:33

03 - Pinch + Improvisation 24:45

21. JohnOO

JohnOO Well-Known Member

I think it might be that one, yes, though the version I have has a second set.
    01 Don’t Say No 14:13
    02 Vitamin C 7:33
    03 Pinch 23:45
    04 Silent Night 10:27
    05 Spree 14:53

The version of Pinch is a personal favourite. Holger is definitely not playing bass at this concert.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  22. marmalade166

These tracks are noted as being from Grenoble 16th January and the significant change in sound quality seems to support this

Here's the release I'd really like to see, but I don't know if it would be considered sadly. The notes say the sound quality isn't all that but to my ears it sounds amazing for a mono audience recording from 1971 plus it has an amazing setlist

CAN
    ==========
    Volkshalle, Watzenborn-Steinberg, Giessen

1971-10-22

Source: Mono Audience recording > DAT > Bootleg LP > Project turntable > Sugden amp > Apogee converters > WAV (24bit 44.1KHz) >
    WAV (16bit 44.1KHz) > Amadeus (tracked and split) > xACT > FLAC

Quality: B not unexpected given the historic early date - previously rated as C
    ===============================================================================

This post is the first in an occasional 'Fizz' series, presented in remastered / speed corrected format with new jonsatticuk art using
    the earliest lineage / best sound quality version from the many that [redacted] have sent me (thanks to all even if I didn't use yours)

The source for this re-master was the original vinyl rip (done by Richard F in January 2014 and first posted on [redacted] in January 2015).
    There were a further two sources not taken from the vinyl boot plus other [redacted] legacy recordings to consider, but they all proved to
    be inferior sounding. Three further Richard F re-rips were received, but they were all of varying quality, contained more vinyl clicks
    and none were better that the first rip. Flambay had applied speed corrections to some other rips and he kindly agreed I could use the
    same settings for this re-master and supplied a further small update in track 04. The recording was converted back to its original mono
    and a few other small fixes were applied to improve the sound.

The sound quality may still not be terrific, but the performance is clearer and shines out now.

01 - Peking O 22:17 [-50]
    02 - Paperhouse 11:57 [-50]
    03 - Full Moon On The Highway 6:39 [-45]
    04 - Lies 9:14 [-70..50] first 3:04 [-50] the rest
    05 - Hakucho-Convolutions 18.54 [-100..-85]
    06 - Bring Me Coffee Or Tea 7:08 [-100..-75] first 2:57 [-75] the rest
    07 - You Doo Right 16:36 [-75]
    08 - Halleluwah 13:05 [-75]
    09 - Turtles Have Short Legs 6:35

[-75]

Total = 112.27 (was 108:06)

Tristero likes this.
  23. JohnOO

JohnOO Well-Known Member

That Giessen concert is good, I'd love to see them wave their magic sound wand at that one. Karoli's guitar playing on Peking-O is so creative. Have you heard the Birmingham concert from 1974?

24. marmalade166

aye, and that Birmingham has some dark magic for sure, people must have been staggering out the doors at the end!

25. fuzzyste

fuzzyste Well-Known Member

Do you have your concerts online?