Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oddyad, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What are you doing? Are you rubbing and pressing the outside of the sleeve?

rebellovw likes this.
  2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Jumping up and down on them, sprinkling lots of particles from the air on them, rubbing them against the edge of the sleeve and just generally stuff like that really? Isn't that what you do? :eek:

AaronW likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, now I see how you are getting scratches.:p

AaronW, rebellovw, Jack and 1 other person like this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

In all seriousness though, some of these Mofi pressings Ive had have been taken out the sleeve maybe 3 or 4 times and have started to reveal hairline scratches. I just slide them in and out carefully into the 'non-scratching' sleeve. They are new, clean pressings and I am very fussy so I know how to handle them.

Since swapping out my sleeves for standard poly sleeves, I find these don't really scratch or mark at all compared to the QRP, MFSL type of sleeve. I don't notice any new hairlines and they are much better. Sorry, but I really don't understand the hype of these type of sleeves. I don't feel I am missing anything by not using them...

5. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have hundreds of the MOFI sleeves and this has never happened.

rebellovw likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

:hide:Maybe the hairline is actual hair you just lost ?

Tullman and rebellovw like this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No it's not MFSL fanboy...

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I am no fanboy of their sleeves, i mainly use nagaoka and analogis.

9. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

i've used them and have never had any problems...I have about 600 lp's, all in mofi sleeves

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. Wow! I have ALWAYS had static electricity issues and with someone mentioning the hairline scratches too, I've seen plenty of those also. MoFi has exclusively used RTI out here in California to press their records. In those from other record companies pressed by RTI, which came in paper sleeves, I've NEVER had problems with static electricity nor the hairline scratches.

richbdd01 likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

How long overtime? I've had some MFSL sleeves for over 7 years and they still look and feel like new.

If one prefers standard poly sleeves they should keep in mind that some are better than other. They are more cost effective than MOFI sleeves. But make sure you know what your buying (I know you do richbdd01 so that you is a general you). I've had some where the open edges curve down and scrape across the record. It was a sound that makes you wince.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I have the same experience as Vinysoul with these sleeves. For me they don't add static electricity. Ditto the hairlines. I see nada.

13. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

My entire collection of vinyl is in MoFi inner sleeves with none of the issues mentioned. I treat all of my lp's for static electricity after cleaning them on my VPI record cleaning machine. As far as hairline scratches, I don't see any or hear any. All of my pristine vinyl is still pristine and plays very quietly. I started replacing all my inner sleeves years ago with these.

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

The mo-fi sleeves are fine, there was a batch several years ago that tended to leave some sort of residue on records, but cleaned off. newer onces don;t have this problem. As for hairline scratches, yes, possible, but all sleeves (including original paper ones) can do it. I tested some out a while back and here is my post from an earlier thread (or two):

I have actually tested and basically any type of sleeve will make some kind of marks on a record if you rub it back and forth.with say the weight of the record pressing on your hand. Actually some of the ones that did this the least were original sleeves on some UK records that have kind of a waxed inside (not just plain paper, maybe the ones someone referred to as "onion skin" - but not like the poly-lined paper ones either). So nothing is gonna be perfect. my test results:

-plain white paper - can make the worst scuffs, thicker marks
    -mofi/diskeeper/etc type - make thin hairlines, not as bad as paper, but still visible. My guess is the plastic material is a bit abrasive. It's might be worth bringing this up with the various manufacturers to see if they can improve it
    -paper sleeves from UK LPs with a kind of waxed inside - lighter than plain paper or the mofi/diskeepers
    -plain poly/polylined paper - definitely less scuffing/hairlines than all the other sleeves, at least the ones I had on hand (original to some LPs).

However, even with the least scuff prone options there is a drawback. I have seen issues where LPs stored in polylined sleeves or the UK paper type above, get some kind of marks on them from long term storage. For example, I recently opened a sealed copy of a cat power record that had never been opened. It was an RTI pressing, but came in poly lined sleeves. at the areas where the poly liner is i guess glued to the paper, it had made a clear hazy discoloration on the vinyl (so just at a couple places on the edge, but kind of like LPs that have been left in those thick PVC sleeves can get, from the plasticizer.) And with other paper types, I have seen LPs stored in them for a long time get that slight blotchy discoloration, I'm sure most collectors are familiar with it. These things, like the hairlines generally, are fortunately not usually audible (the cat power LP played perfectly). So maybe there is no perfect sleeve (just like there is no actually perfect record?) Just be careful inserting and removing them and you will probably be fine.

ogdens_sliced and richbdd01 like this.
  15. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

note, the hairlines are pretty faint. you might not see them if not looking under a bright light. But then most records have some marks on them as obviously they were sleeved at the plant, transported, shipped, but on display in a store or shipped again to the buyer etc.

Tullman likes this.
  16. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

I agree with this. I find it doesn't matter which sleeve type you use and how careful you are, you will get faint marks from sleeve removal. obviously it's worse with a unlined paper sleeve, but if you need a bright light to see the marks, it's just gonna show off the other imperfections on the vinyl surface. Vinyl isn't perfect. I can only see the marks (and barely) when using the led light on my phone at the brightest setting, and even then I have to strain my eyes to see it. There's no way that this can affect audio fidelity in any meaningful way.

Just my 2cents

All Down The Line and sublemon like this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Im glad that you are at least acknowledging the issue does exist with these sleeves. Granted, they're not as bad with the Mofi sleeves, but also the QRP sleeves leave some pretty bad marks! I just don't get these with standard polys. Mofi isn't as bad....but once you've pulled these records in and out a few times, they're not going to be in quite the same condition as when you put them in there.

18. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've got records with paper, sleeve-city plastic, Mo-Fi, plastic-lined paper, and who-knows what else inners. If I buy a used record and the inner is somehow disgusting or wrecked, I replace it. If not, I leave well enough alone. I have records from the 1950s with brown paper inners. They sound great. This is yet another of the aspects of the hobby that are far, far less important than the neurotics advise.

19. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Not quite the same condition no, but would it be enough of a difference to be noticed? Probably not. The more you play a record the more wear it gets, its just part of the format. I don't think its a good thing worrying about this stuff too much. Just be as careful as you can and your records will last a long, long time.

When it comes to used records I always replace them after a record vacuuming anyways, if not for the better protection, but to at least know which have been cleaned. I would be fine with most poly lined sleeves, but anything paper i wouldn't keep.

IanL likes this.
  20. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I have all my records in Mofi sleeves. I used to use the paper outside/poly inside sleeves but as Sublemon stated I was finding blotchy discoloration on many of my records that had been in the poly sleeves for years. It doesn't come off with a wet cleaning with my record cleaning machine either. The records still sound fine but they sure don't look good. I haven't noticed any fine scratches with the Mofi's but haven't really looked very hard either. I'd rather have some very fine/hard to see scratches (as long as the sound doesn't suffer) than the blotches my poly sleeves were leaving. Just my 1 cent's worth :).

sublemon likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when I had a huge vinyl collection on my special albums I always used a MoFi Sleeve to replace the plain original, but I kept that as well......they are fabulous.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No problems with my MOFI sleeves. But I have a question to everyone about a different type: the paper sleeve with a "slick" inside. These are the type that come with the Satanic Majesties 50th anniverssary. Is this slick "finish" supposed to protect the record as it's being pulled out or is it harmful to it?

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

If you're talking about what I think you are...its like an onion skin finish? Yes those are supposed to protect the vinyl as opposed to untreated paper. A couple of my Neil Young reissues had them, but I replaced with Poly sleeves.

24. I emailed MoFi concerning the problems with their inner sleeves and here is the reply I just received: "The static issue you are experiencing would be caused by both the condition of the air in your room as well as the sleeves". So, they obviously know that their inner sleeves can cause a static electricity problem. Here is a solution they suggested: "Placing a humidifier in the room your records are stored in would also help prevent static issues".
    As far as the scratches, here is what they replied: "Additionally, if you are having a problem with scratches on your LPs, they are not coming from our sleeves. Our sleeves do not cause scratches. Small scratches can still occur if debris gets into the sleeve though".

I suspected the cause of the problems I have with the MoFi inner sleeves was what they replied. I live in a semi-arid climate and realize that static electricity will attract all kinds of unwanted contaminants. I really don't have room in my record room for a humidifier, plus spending money on one would mean I couldn't spent that money on buying more records.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Don't forget...they are not likely to say 'yes, our sleeves cause scratches' or more specifically, hairline scratches...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.