Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oddyad, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

If the sleeves could scratch vinyl - imagine what they could do to your skin if you stuck your hand in one -(I know this is extremely crazy - so don't try this at home!!) I did - absolutely smooth. Just a silly hobby argument.

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Nothing ruins a listening session like awful nagging thoughts of semi-imaginary inaudible hairline scratches.

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Doesn't ruin my listening session...I don't use them anymore! ;)

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I think it is quite slanderous what you keep spouting with out any proven evidence.

Nothing is worse in this hobby than little audiophile fictions people create. I have a zero tolerance stance on this. Call me a fanboy.

Mission accomplished @oddyad

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What a pathetic outburst...:o

6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

:tiphat:

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Old MOFI sleeves can develop microscopic hooks over time that can scratch and ultimately ruin a record. These micro-hooks tore a chunk off of my favourite Mantovani record:

[​IMG]

MOFI sleeve under microscope:

[​IMG]

I don't even use sleeves anymore. I sprinkle a handful of concrete dust into the plain cardboard LP sleeve -- reduces the cardboard friction -- then put the record in and vigorously slide it in and out 5 or 6 times to get the grind down smooth. Works wonders. Leaves the vinyl whitish and dusty, but I've found a couple of squirts of lighter fluid takes care of that nicely.

Matt Starr, H8SLKC, TLMusic and 4 others like this.
  8. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Mantovani! Wow, a rare record. You must have been devastated. :-popcorn:

rebellovw likes this.
  9. EdogawaRampo

I had to shiv another Mantovani collector at the St. Vincent de Paul store to get my hands on it after he'd spotted it first, so yeah, pretty let down. Not the way I usually roll, but I've seen worse.

rebellovw likes this.
  10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I think some sort of lawsuit is in order. Either that or paying a visit to the Goodwill here, which can sometimes yield rare Montavoni treasures by the buttload.

rebellovw likes this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Kudos to you for recognizing that it's not all the sleeve. The humidity thing is always an issue-- keep it moist and it's better for static but perhaps not so good long term for cardboard storage-
    Less humid = more static, something I've experienced in the winters in the NE.
    I don't know about the micro scratches though.

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Tough audience.
    I don't doubt those who claim to experience micro abrasions using one brand or another of inner sleeve- I don't why some people have the issue and others don't. And, I'm not sure it's about different handling techniques. I think I've used pretty much all of them and can't say I love any. The MA Records inner is my latest try. I know one forum member who uses the rounded bottom very light inners, like those that came with some japanese pressings originally - those seem ok, I just don't like handling them as much.
    Personally, I prefer a paper inner with a lining- like the ones that came on some UK pressings. Sleeve City had a version of that, but it wasn't quite the same as the UK ones of old.
    My biggest concern in all of this is simply that the sleeves don't affect play or cause any chemical interaction. Ease of handling is also a plus but the MA isn't too easy to handle. I don't know that there is a perfect inner.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  13. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Next Topic: "Can movement of the air cause a small micro lines on my record?"

The best way to avoid any additional abrasions is not to open record at all.

Regards

ssmith3046 and rebellovw like this.
  14. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have many types of inner sleeves, including MFSL sleeves. I find them to be of good quality and I use them without hesitation. I have not experienced the problems that some of you are referring to.

I have not heard much in this thread about record cleaning. I use a VPI 16.5 record cleaner for all new and used albums. The only thing I put in a MFSL (or other comparable sleeve) is a record that has first been cleaned on my VPI.

Could a lack of cleaning be the part of the reason why some of you are having issues?

Scott

rebellovw and Bill Why Man like this.
  15. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

I wholeheartedly agree with you. If you are that worried about the scratches the best way to avoid them is not even open the record at all The more you play a record the more signs of wear it will have, it doesn't matter if you are the most careful person, mishaps can and will happen. if you are afraid that these sleeves may be damaging your vinyl, there are many alternatives out there that may even be cheaper. These micro hairlines used to really piss me off, but once you realize its part of the deal and doesn't affect sound quality much (in most cases not at all).

rebellovw and DrZhivago like this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

Air is often a cause of micro lines on a record and is not recommended. I installed a massive deoxygenation/atmospheric vacuum unit in my listening room for use when playing records. A portable O2 tank provides me with filtered air for personal breathing. I don't hear the music -- only as much as trace gases allow -- but my records are pristine and no longer at risk for atmospheric micro abrasion.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Fine with MFSL vinyl.
    Use other source for new/old vinyl if required.

rebellovw likes this.
  18. EdogawaRampo

Like the nagging misery of being in a wool suit at an interminably long business meeting where you're last on the 10-page agenda to present a detailed statistical analysis while enduring a persistent burning rectal itch. Not me. Happened to a friend. A colleague. Soothene cream works pretty good. I heard.

rebellovw likes this.
  19. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

In 2017. Record plants scratch your records.

Porkpie and Gumboo like this.
  20. I love those old lined sleeves which came in the UK albums. Didn't ever seem to have a problem. I still keep my Rolling Stones original Decca LP's and Moody Blues LP's in them.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This subject gets my deja vu thread of the millennium award.

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Fair question, and a good one. Flip side: It could also be that the chemical residue from cleaning interacts with the poly inner.
    Doomed either way, I guess. (I'm of the cleaning school, so I'm not insinuating that one shouldn't clean).

23. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have used Mofi Master Sleeves for years.

Never, ever, had a problem with them.

rebellovw likes this.
  24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like the Mofi sleeves. I wish they were a little cheaper though.

rebellovw and Gasman1003 like this.
  25. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

But, if they were cheaper they might damage the records...............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.