Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oddyad, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Not luck. Some are just more anal about their records.
    Ive met people who say all their records are perfect. Upon visiting I wouldnt rate a single one over VG+. Different standards.

2. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Do you use the zerostat with the LP on the platter?

I have a zerostat that I picked up half price but have never got the hang of the correct pressure to be applied to the trigger.

3. Leonthepro

Im not sure the pressure is important, more so the speed of the pulling. Is that what you mean?

4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I sure hope they don't damage LPs. All my new LPs (and old ones) get an initial cleaning with Okki Nokki, and their old sleeves are replaced with MoFi sleeves.

dvcarrick likes this.
  5. ogdens_sliced

Yes, speed / pressure can be interchangeable in this scenario. I understand it should be silent when pulling the trigger, but I often get clicks on mine.

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

In another thread on the gun, it was stated to hold the record in the air while very slowly squeezing the trigger. Clicking means you're going too fast. (I don't have one yet)

7. ogdens_sliced

Yes I understood that the record should not be on your table when zapping.

I just can't get the "slowness" required on my gun. Click city in my house.

8. Leonthepro

Yeah the click is no supposed to happen until the very end. I never had one, is it really tought to pull on?

As for putting it on the table, I dont know if it matters. The record doesnt need a ground I dont think, so it might not matter. With a brush its typically better to hold the record however.

9. ogdens_sliced

Yes, there is quite some resistance in the trigger so need some pressure applied.

Maybe my gun is faulty.

Anyways, I don't need to use it as luckily I don't have static issues after wash / vacuum and resleeve of all records prior to first play.

10. Yes.

11. Yes, on the platter. Surprisingly there wasn't any clear info that came with it. Looking online at various methods, I found that slowly squeezing and releasing the trigger is the way to do it. If you hear click, then you did it too fast. The method that seemed to work best was shooting the record in 4 places, like a clock face, and a 5th pull aimed at the spindle. For light weight LP's, one series does it. For 180g LP's, 2-3 series and changing the pattern for the 2nd like starting at 12 O'clock and when you would start the next, 1:30. If had 200g LP's take 4 series. Variation depends on what the vinyl mix was used to make the record.
    Some records, like 45's made of styrene, don't seem to have a static charge. Some 78's can have a charge.

12. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I use a Milty Zero-stat gun on my records and on the MoFi sleeves, works great!

13. Russian_Autumn_Heart

Russian_Autumn_Heart Forum Resident

All of my records are housed in Mofi inner sleeves. I order the sleeves in 50-packs from Amazon ever so often.

dvcarrick, MusicNBeer and DK Pete like this.
  14. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

I have the printed text of the mofi sleeve imposed on the record, I'm going back to the cheap standard white polylined inners ....

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yikes! Did you report this to MOFI? I use these inners as well and haven't really had any issues, but I know that people occasionally have had problems. A few years ago there was a bad batch that left powdered residue on records.

16. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

My mofi batch from 2013 did damage my records, which i am discovering as i go thru my collection. Replacing them with paper sleeves & cleaning records from residue these mofis caused, it gunked up my stylus as i did not initialy see until you put vinyl under light , you will see how terrible the residues are.

17. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Any pics...?

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

As the ink is printed on the outside of the sleeve I don't see how what you are claiming is possible. Please post a couple of photos of this.

DK Pete and MusicNBeer like this.
  19. Leonthepro

Its extremely difficult to capture in photo but here is my best attempt with my Diskeeper 7". So I fully believe him that it can happen with MFSL too. These singles are stores in a box by the way, I took them out after a year maybe and noticed it. Meant to contact Diskeeper about it too but was too lazy. Havnt tried cleaning them either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

I’ve used MoFi and Nagaoka inners - both do the job perfectly well with ZERO scratching, unless you’ve managed to get something in there that shouldn’t be. To be honest, I now use some much cheaper looky-likeys from Amazon, which are equally good. A little thicker than the MoFi, but never had a single problem with them.

21. ogdens_sliced

Wow, difficult to capture but also incredibly clear.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Wow, bizarre.

23. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

On the Diskeeper sleeves, the ink printing is on the outside?

24. Leonthepro

It seems to be on both now that you mention it.

EDIT: nevermind, I think its just on the outside.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  25. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.