Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oddyad, Sep 27, 2017.

1. werk

werk Active Member

Good thing I decided to stay away from them! Was surprised to see my Three Blind Mice reissues from Impex to come in those as well.
    Poly lined paper is what I mostly use as well, sadly in some cases it makes for a very tight fit so I also use the Spincare's version of the Mofi sleeves:
    AUDIOPHILE 12 Inch Inner Vinyl Record Sleeves (Pack of 50) - For 12" LPs

Never had any problems with surface scratches and I actually prefer them to the Mofi and QRP ones. The paper backing in those is slightly thicker so the corners don't bend around as easily.
    Makes it easier to get the record in and out of the outer sleeve. Also here in the UK they're around half the price of the Mofi's. The lack of any printing on the front of the sleeve is a good thing for me.
    As you showed with the Diskeeper 7" sleeves that ink stamp can migrate to the vinyl surface. And overall it looks better to me when you can see the full vinyl surface without any branding.

I'll keep an eye out for any surface scratches (due to those sleeves) in future. The thing is if the record comes in a nice poly-lined inner sleeve I will usually leave it as is.
    The most common usage for those Spincare sleeves is records that came in paper inners and have very tight fitting (usually gatefolds) outer sleeves.
    My two Tone Poets that came in the RTI hazy inner sleeves are currently in Spincare's "Audiophile" inner sleeves so I will have to keep an eye and see if they develop any hairline scratches like other people have experienced from Mofi sleeves.

All Down The Line and Leonthepro like this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Autodidact Debater

Nice alternative, they would seem a lot better then if cheaper and sturdier. Which is exactly why I prefer poly lined paper. Get mine at local store for less than half the price of a MFSL sleeve, its really a no brainer for me.

There is one time I use MFSL sleeves though, if for example the release comes with some nice lyric sleeve or a box that is packed too tight I might line those with a MFSL sleeve myself.

werk likes this.
  3. werk

werk Active Member

For printed inners with lyrics etc I only use the Nagaoka pocket style inners. For me they are the best inner sleeves out of all and its a shame they don't use the same material to manufacture Mofi style ones. Its incredibly smooth, very strong and in my experience actually effective at keeping static at bay. A lot of my old and recent Japanese pressings come with a similar style inner but the material is never as good. They're perfect for putting inside printed inners as all other alternatives I've tried are slightly too wide and will crumple eventually. I've tried to use cheaper alternatives but when it comes to those nothing beats the real deal. I also use them on their own sometimes and that works okay but because there's no paper backing the corners can bend easily if you're not very careful with them.

Regarding the paper poly lined ones they're basically all good and I mostly use whichever ones I get from ebay. There is one brand that is slightly different though and they have very good quality to price ratio. Audio Anatomy Deluxe inner sleeves are quite special. Made in Germany, full square as opposed to having cut out corners so less holes for dust to get through. The paper on them is slightly thinner than the cheaper ones but just as strong so they're better for tightly fitting sleeves that won't take two LPs next to each other without bulging out too much. They just feel more premium overall so I mostly only use them on records I really like haha

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

It occurs to me the printing may occur before the sleeve is in its final form. Probably large sheets of plastic printed with the logos for a dozen or more sleeves are printed, which are then slit, folded sealed...whatever to get to the final product. Printing on plastic is not easy. Perhaps it is printed on two sides unintentionally. A little too much ink was used and the ink from the front of one sheet of film, offset onto the back of the sheet above it in the pile as it comes off the press. Or if a stack of freshly printed sleeves was pressed down with a clamp in order to cut them.Offsetting is possible if the weren't quite dry when they were cut. So this ink resulting from offsetting is present on the back side of the sleeve and is what is causing the problem. I worked for 5 years as a pressman and printing on high gloss surfaces is a lot more difficult. Offsetting is a constant worry throughout the process.

All Down The Line likes this.