can SACD play DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Krink, Feb 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krink

Krink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry in advance if this has been pointed out before...

I was wondering if SACD players can play DVD-A, and if so, are there any limitations?

:confused:

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

SACD players cannot play DVD-A.

3. Krink

Krink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks a ton!!!

May you have as much good luck as the Patriots!!

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not so fast Bradley! A few of the newer players can.

The manufacturers are starting to specify what a particular player will play right on the unit. If a format is not stated it is hit or miss, except for mp3. If it is not stated that a player will play mp3, that player will NOT play them.

To their credit, Sony lists everything a particular player will handle so there is no mistaking.

One big problem, even some DVD-A players do not have the all-important bass management, needed for proper DVD-A playback.

5. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

And a DVD/SACD player can play the 5.1 Dolby Digital program on the DVD-A disk in Dolby Digital 5.1.:p

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

There is/shortly will be several "universal" players that can do both formats - e.g. Apex AD 7701 and Pioneer DV747. In a more upmarket category, there is Luxman DU-10 player available in Japan, and there might be something from Accuphase.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

What, exactly, is the "all important bass management system"?:confused:

When I dip into the SACD / DVD-A pool, I'll need this info! Thanks!

8. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

The Apex has received generally poor reviews. Don't make the mistake of buying it.

9. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Go to www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewforum.ph...veryone's experience with the 7701.:rolleyes:

10. I've seen and heard the Pioneer DV-747A Universal DVD/SACD player at this past Jan. Las Vegas CES. It's being released in the U.S. as the model DV-47A Elite. Much better build quality and sound, as it should be for $1,200 manufacturer's retail! It also does native resolution multichannel SACD instead of converting the DSD bitstream to PCM like the Apex. This should be available in Pioneer Elite dealerships by mid-February as they just shipped last week from the factory.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.