Can we get a quick rundown of Oppo players/Universal players.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 83SE is an excellent player! I had one awhile back and wish I still had it. I recently bought an 83 in real nice condition. I contacted Oppo to see if they could do the SE upgrade. They replied back that they no longer stocked the components to upgrade the 83 to an SE. I would have also liked to compare the 83SE to the 205. Maybe it's good that I didn't. Some time a less is more design of a player like the 83SE is better than a more complex design such as the 205. Either way both are excellent sounding players!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    screener likes this.
  2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Why not just hook the 83 to a good DAC? Wouldn't that do the job of the SE?

3. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 980H still working fine.. Have a Oppo Also an Oppo 93 with the NXE board. Also the Oppo 105. So ya, I guess you could say I like them, a lot! :)

The Pinhead and Bill Mac like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I could do that but the 83 is not being used now and is just a back up player.

5. On my 205, gapless playback is in the setup menu. Either on or off. It is no longer on the option menu at the bottom of the screen, which I did like better.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I read the whole thread; no-one insulted you, let alone called you an idiot, very especially Bill Mac. Vent your anger and complexes at a shrink's, not here. It does seem to me it's you who are being disrespectful toward other posters, engineer or not (doubtful from your mistaken statements). DACs for DIGITAL video, on a player with HDMI-only video outputs ? OK.......:sigh:

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

No, because the digital output does not carry the full resolution of SACD or DVD-Audio to an external DAC. Now that some DACs do have the capability to decode Hi-Res, it would seem logical that they should. But no, by license, no SACD or DVD-A shall output full resolution to ANY digital output.

8. Warren Jarrett

Thank you for your opinion. I agree that there is never a good excuse for having or venting anger within this forum. We are all here for the fun of our hobby, and therefore all here in good spirits for enjoyment only. There is no good reason for any personal entanglements.

I apologize to everyone. I just get too emotional about this stuff, particularly since I have become so ill and in constant pain (within the past 3 years), that audio and this forum are about the only things going on in my very simple life.

9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Hmmm, will check that setting. Thanks!

10. The Pinhead

I'm so very sorry about that, and understand a person might lash out once in while in your situation. I wish you well, and hope you can recover from whatever condition is making you so miserable.

SandAndGlass and SBurke like this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

He’s right guys! I remember this review clearly and the reviewer used the word ‘compromised’ referring to the DESIGN of the DACs, and how OPPO compromised the design to make a player that didn’t need a fan to keep it cool, I believe.

so in a way the design of the 105 and 205 WERE a compromise over the dac circuit design in the 95.
    The word compromised here meaning circuit design and not fidelity I think.
    Beave

12. The Beave

Ah, I’ve done it plenty of times myself, get caught up in a moment and let loose, no big deal, an apology fixes that. Pain sucks, I feel it every morning when I look into the mirror!
    :D

Beave

SandAndGlass, SBurke and The Pinhead like this.
  13. Setup -> Playback Sedtup -> Gapless Playback -> On or Off

14. The Pinhead

Oh man; you're the guy with the condition derived from radiation theraphy; I remember now. Man that's awful !:cry:

SandAndGlass and Warren Jarrett like this.
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have 980 H in my garage system.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally understand. Been there myself as far as getting to emotional in regard to responses to fellow SH members. Sorry to hear of your poor health and pain issues. I truly hope that things improve and you can live a pain free life in the future.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. The Beave

Ah, this is what I was referring to.
    Beave

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I suppose that the reasons for bringing out a new model of anything is because of improvements, in this case meaning technological improvements.

Since, once the digital outputs on any player went to digital HDMI, as long as that player faithfully delivers the digital signal to the HT processor or to the TV for decoding, it should make little difference what player it came from. The video should all look the same.

DAC = Digital to Analog Conversion. In the case of a CSS Saber DAC or any audio DAC, they are designed and built to operate strictly on the conversion of a digital audio signal and have nothing to do with a digital video signal.

Also, they can not be used to do anything with any video signal conversion.

You know pretty far. All ESS Saber DACs are used exclusively for audio conversion only. That is what they are made for.

There have been many discussions on the audio quality of the different Oppo's as each of the new models have come out.

The general consensus has always been that each unit had audio that was superior to the preceding unit, owing perhaps to a newer generation of DAC's and possibly improvements made to the analog sections.

I believe that Bill's point is a valid one.

As most of use are in complete agreement with.

I doubt that your rig is too "mid-fi" to the point of not being able to recognise the differences between players.

I don't know that any of the 03 series is any warmer sounding or that any of the 05 series is any more clinical sounding.

The evolution of the 05 series has always been based on a newest top of the line ESS Saber DAC.

The 03 series has always opted for a less expensive DAC from other manufacturer's.

Although, in each case, DAC technology continues to improve with each new model DAC that is introduced.

Having gone from the 93 to the 205, I couldn't comment on the 103/105 series.

The DAC in my Peachtree iNova, which serves as the main DAC in my audio system is the ESS 9016 Sabre DAC. The DAC in the 95 series is the ESS 9018 Sabre DAC, which was then their top of the line model.

Since then the 105 used a ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs and the 205 used the ESS ES9038PRO Sabre ProDAC

From the Oppo web site:

"The OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 share the same primary components (including the mainboard, laser, and loader) for superb audio and video playback, and while the BDP-103 and BDP-105 are identical in performance when it comes to audio and video over HDMI, the BDP-105 offers a number of enhancements:"

The purpose of the Oppo 105, like the 95, in using two ESS Saber DACs is that one of the DAC's is dedicated to 7.1 surround sound HT processing and the other DAC is reserved for 2-channel stereo processing.

One very important thing to keep under consideration and this goes for @Warren Jarrett also, is system synergy.

I built my audio system around using my Peachtree Nova integrated amplifier and later upgraded it to the iNova, which had the ESS 9016 Saber DAC, which is a previous model to the 2018 ESS DAC used in the 95.

I am perfectly happy using the 2016 DAC as the central system DAC in my audio system, along with the electronics in the iNova.

Although other DAC's may be superior, they may not have the same system synergy that my iNova and its 2016 Saber DAC does.

As to modern DAC's, even less expensive DAC's have evolved tremendously over the just the past few years.

I think the main differentiation is due, less to the DAC chips themselves (although very important), than to the supporting electronics and the analog conversion section.

Although I used both my 93 and 205 strictly as transports for stereo and as such, have equal performance as such, there have been definite improvements in the DAC sections, when using HDMI to the HT processor.

Because I use a separate HT processor to decode the surround sound, I use all of the rest of my system as equally for both HT and stereo. I treat the output of the surround sound processor, the same as I would any stereo source (I have a separate amplifier for the rear and center channels).

Music, within media oriented video movies sounds excellent on my older 93. But, when I played a CD through the HDMI cable and through the processor, the CD sounded vastly inferior to the same CD, when played through the iNova.

After upgrading to the 205, I noticed a definite improvement in the sound of the CD when played through the same processor, which by this time, I had upgraded to a 4k processor.

The main thing, is does it sound good? As long as you can answer "yes" to this question, then the individual DAC or anything else is of diminished importance.

The Pinhead and Bill Mac like this.
  19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Nice tip on the Sony. $279 at Amazon for a refurb.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Quite nice and refreshing to see you fellas work things out in this thread. It's good to feel passionately about things and to have friends who do too.
    Cheers all :cheers:

21. Warren Jarrett

Yes, that's me. Not so bad, really. But I have nothing to regret or feel bad about, though, because it was the radiation that saved my life and gave me 40 wonderful years of health, adventure, and fun. Plus, surviving changed my whole attitude about life, to not take anything too seriously EXCEPT my hobbies and interests.

At the time I received the radiation, almost all cancer patients died within 5 years. I am such a rare example of anyone surviving so long, from cancer treatments so long ago, that the City of Hope invites me back to observe and test me, for their continuing research.

:magoo::cheers::edthumbs:
    Sick old man vs. cool dude, controversy resolved. Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  22. The Pinhead

I read this on several forum, so not my impression I can't really compare. Apparently the Cirrus Logic DAC inside my 103D is shared with a similarly-priced Marantz CDP, so prolly not too shabby. As a matter of fact, the sound is strikingly similar to that of the ancient Technics CDP it replaced (warm, yet detailed enough) which was just what I was hoping for, being, as I was, perfectly happy and used to it after 26 straight years of listening to it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. The Pinhead

Sure; for that anyone should be grateful, but I doubt you weren't hoping for a total absence of side effects, esp after 40 years of perfect health. And that must be REALLY frustrating, even if you are the glass-half full type. A really difficult situation to get to terms with I'm sure. My sincere condolences. I've heard nothing but praise about your company.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I just selected Setup Menu>Device Setup>Firmware Information>UDP20X-65-0131, which is said to be the latest firmware. Then, Setup Menu>Playback Setup and Gapless Playback is shown. I have it set to On. As I recall I installed the latest firmware about a month ago to set the OPPO to process MQA. It was an ordeal.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Well, it seems that you picked two things that are both interesting and important!

Bill and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.