Can we get a quick rundown of Oppo players/Universal players.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well, after this thread SUCKED me back into OPPO land, (you guys shouldn’t have done that!) I realized that of all the OPPO’S I’ve had, I’ve never had the 83SE. I looks so unlike the later OPPO’S and I like that! So I went onto the Bay yesterday and there was a seller who had 2 in near mint condition for $300. So I bought it! Everything’s included, original box,manual, remote. So what the hell, I haven’t bought one in over a year and a man can’t have too many OPPO’S can he?

lol
    Beave

The Pinhead and Bill like this.
  2. The Beave

Bill, I just scored one yesterday for $300 in near mint condition, so their out there.
    The deals that is. You really need to pick one up and do an audio shootout between it and the 205. That would be very interesting to see how it stacks up against the 205.
    Beave

3. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

I once owned a n Oppo 83SE. What I remember about it was a friend owned an Arcam FMJ player and bought it over. Now he actually liked the Oppo 83SE's presentation a bit more. I thought the Arcam FMJ was more refined or finished. But that was years ago and memory can fail!:) But the 83SE is very easy to listen to, quite relaxing and smooth if I remember correctly. The Oppo 105 played at a higher level.

The Beave likes this.
  4. bluenosens

I should also mention the Opp Nuforce 93 Extreme edition with NXE board. I has a lovely rounded presentation. It is a bit special IMO. Yes I have one. And the 105.

The Beave likes this.
  5. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Can anyone list some of the specific differences between an 83SE and a 95?

6. The Beave

I think the 95 was built on the 83 SE platform, with a Sabre 9018 dac while the 83SE had a 9016 dac (help me out here Bill). But still 4 stacked in parallel for the 2 channel audio section.
    The 95 also did 3D whereas the 83 didn’t.
    Take this with a grain of salt until someone chimes in with more info.
    Beave

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  7. Warren Jarrett

I ask because I noticed some nifty feature got deleted (and others added) from the 105 and 205, as various contractual requirements changed, and various new technologies were introduced. Since I am old school, I actually like some of the deleted features more than need the newer ones. So I wonder if there is anything in a 83SE that was deleted for the 93/95.

Some people say that the worst thing about the 93 and 95 is the fan. But I found that by removing the top cover, the fan never goes on. Also I believe the 93/95 has no digital input, to use the Oppo as a DAC for some other digital source. That is potentially a biggie, but I would never use it, because I already have high end DACs in all of my audio systems.

As I discussed earlier (and which caused that whole controversy about me not knowing what I was talking about), the 4 stacked DACs in parallel, for the 2 channel audio section, is a gigantic plus for me, (along with the most upgraded audio section) which leads me to focus on the 85SE and 95.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    The Pinhead likes this.
  8. bluenosens

I believe the 95 has a fan and is physically heavier and larger than the 83SE. I believe The Beave has nailed the major differences.

9. The Beave

Well, I have the 95, had it in my Stereo vertical rack and the fan rarely came on, and when it did, it was for all intent and purposes almost silent, the speed depends on the temp.
    Now I have to say you hit something with this thread that in my zeal to OPPO myself over the past two years, I can now slow down, which I've done, and really hone in on what's important to me when it comes to OPPO.
    I've had almost all their decks except for the 83se and a 203. and they've all been fun decks but with very different feature sets.
    I love the way the 205 sounds, but it looks ugly in my Stereo rack.
    And as I was using the OPPO's for mainly audio purposes and not video, the video performance was never a big factor for me.

But in getting to know the OPPO models after I acquired the 205 I started seeing the evolution in these machines, I started at the 93/95, not really thinking about the 83SE. But it does definitely look like there was design compromise going from the 83/95 to the 105 and then the 205. The 83SE and 95 being the two 'Purist' models with the 4 Stakker DAC's. Even though those are older DAC's, the 9016 and the 9018, I have no idea how they sound compared to each other.
    My 95 sounded excellent.
    My 105 Sounded good, but not involving like the 205.
    But I never compared the 95 to the 205 either, just know that
    my 105 was the least satisfying out of the 3, this is why I'm really curious to see how the 83SE fares against my current audiolab 8300cd.

And I thought I was done, and you guys just sucked my a$$ right back into it............
    will it never end???????
    Probably not. But it Is a fun hobby and a lot less expensive than Sailboating!
    beave

10. The Beave

Think of that for a moment.....4 STACKED DAC'S PER CHANNEL!
    Who does something like that??? It's insane some of the Overkill things
    Oppo did that very few others do or have done.
    Is there any DAC, component or otherwise that does something like this, and what do they charge for the gear???
    I be a hell of a lot more then OPPO charged for their gear.
    Beave

Warren Jarrett and bluenosens like this.
  11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Leema Acoustics original Steam CD player had 16 (!) while Kenwood and their terrific DP7090 had eight (just!) TOTL DACs in their player.

The Leema was about £1300 in 2007, the Kenwood was £400 back in 1998.

12. bluenosens

Accuphase stacked dacs on one of their models, forget which one. Of course it was "stacked" as Accuphase is [in a very good way]. :) A British mag loved it!

13. bluenosens

I'm thinking the Accuphase 75V or 85 had stacked dacs. Perhaps someone can correct me on this? As I 'm not sure the model number.

14. Warren Jarrett

Thank you. Finally someone is confirming my comments from early in this thread. :agree:

FashionBoy and The Beave like this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Hopefully not !:D Today I played my first DVD (I know, but I was busy playing BDs, CDs, and files these past 2 months, since I bought the NOS 103D). The DVD had a VBR pic that ranged from 3.5 to 7.7 mbs, so quite average, far from fantastic (have seen fixed 11mbps).

WOW ! I wasn't expecting such a good upscaled pic; barely a perceptible artifact on the darkest parts or the fastest of movements. Tried the Darbee but liked the unprocessed pic better. I'm in love.:love:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. The Beave

What deck did you play this on?
    Beave

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:righton:

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Here's an experience you can have with your 205 today that will leave you with no doubt about how marvelous the 205 is with media as extreme as the Player. Go to Acoustic Sounds and download the 5.1 channel FLAC of The Seattle Symphony's performance of The Firebird. Send the files to a thumb drive. Insert thumb drive into OPPO's front usb port. Select Music from screen menu. Then, press file icon>artist/title>track. The music will begin to play and will play through all tracks gaplessly. Press (I) button on remote for detailed account of bit and bite rate, etc. Now, after hearing this multi-channel performance without it stimulating a WOW to come off your lips would be a surprise, since the music played via the OPPO is for sure just awesome.
    Stravinsky: The Firebird; Nikolaev: The Sinewaveland

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. The Beave

Well I got the 83 SE a few days ago and just got it out of the box last night.
    It is, cosmetically in excellent condition. But when I put some test discs in (a new jazz cd I just opened and a Disney Blu Ray of Toy Story) it didn't track them well. The cd, when I hit play, it started playing at 2:34 minutes into track 1!

But I was expecting this to tell the truth.
    I'll be sending it to OPPO next week for repair, which I wanted to do anyway as I'm thinking this will be a keeper for me.
    I like the size and layout of the deck........
    Now for more coffee.
    Beave

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. highway

highway Forum Resident

Hi.

I currently have a Samsung HT BD2E universal player.

I am happy the way my surround sound 5.1 DVDAs (Wilson Jethro Tull boxes) sound through the five speakers and also how my CDs sound in stereo, but I was recently gifted with some SACDs (the Dylan 2003 set) and there are certain Blu-rays in my collection (Allman Brothers) that the Samsung won’t play.

Can I just plug and play with the Sony ES UBP-X1100ES?

Looks like the going rate is $498.

Thanks for any advice.

21. Warren Jarrett

I have a Sony ES UBP-X1100ES, and yes, it plays all of these formats, and any 24/96 disk, such as from Chesky and Classic Records. The 23/96 and Blu-Ray Music Discs (such as that same Allman Bros) are sonically my favorite formats now.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    highway likes this.
  22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Great. However, you can do this with other (103/105/203) Oppo players as well.

Bill Mac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.