Can you get Blake-style gatefold sleeves (that actually open)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by keiron99, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So this chap kindly sent me a sample of these gatefold sleeves (which actually open with the gatefold).

Here's the link to Amazon UK. He's also on ebay.

This is my take on them:
    • They fit gatefold sleeves (single or double LP) nicely
    • The seams are not as neatly joined as Blake sleeves, they are a bit rougher. But it's only really if you put the 2 side by side that you notice.
    • They actual material they are made of is very similar if not identical to Blake. They are NOT milky, but don't seem to be quite as absolutely crystal clear. But when put on to the album sleeve, you don't notice. They have a similar effect to Blake in that regard.
    • The inside panels cover almost the entire area of the record sleeve - it's not just a skinny strip - looks great
    • The biggest (but not massive) downside is that the polypropylene itself appears to be "scratched" or scuffed, as though it's been through a roller in the manufacturing process which has left marks on it
    • But again, those marks are not really visible once an LP sleeve has been inserted
    • Unfortunately they are quite expensive even when bought in bulk.

Overall, as things stand, they are the best solution for me for gatefolds as they fit well and look good. It's just a shame that Blake doesn't make these - I do find it odd that there isn't sufficient demand to justify it.

I also bought some from the seller in Ukraine talked about above. They will take a couple of weeks but I suspect that they are probably from the same production line.

Monaro and Carter DeVries like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.