Can you have too much audio gear?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JorgeGvb, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member Thread Starter

2. nebfan

nebfan New Member

If your married, definitely yes :hide: , now that I'm single again my collection is growing at an alarming rate :laugh:

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Perhaps if you are a collector, you can never have too much collectible gear. OTOH, if you are an audiophile music fan who doesn't have the collector bug, anything more than you actually listen to is wasted.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Uh, no, but you sure as hell can have too much Pioneer audio gear..

:confused: :confused: :confused:

on7green likes this.
  5. Audio72

Audio72 Senior Member

That's some crazy S#!T :eek:

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've always wanted one of those silver Reel To Reel decks. Still see them on ebay.

Were they worth a damn? Much better practical design than the standard upright space hogs we all know as Akai, etc.

7. joelongwood

joelongwood Forum Resident

I had always wanted one as well, but could never afford them when they were new (kids, mortgage, etc.) Now the kids are grown, the mortgage is history, and the toys (amps, receivers, turntables, speakers, headphones, etc.) are coming fast. I recently picked up a mint Pioneer RT-707 RtR ............beautiful to look at, and the design and sound are both superlative. Highly recommended. :D

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I could never afford one as a kid at 14. But god, what a cool design! And you found a Mint one! Good to know that it sounds good.

9. JorgeGvb

I spent some time researching some of the prices on eBay this weekend and was rather amazed how cheap much of this vintage gear sells for today. For example, a couple of Pioneer SX-1010 receivers sold for approx $135 and $180 plus about $40 for shipping. Not bad for one of the best receivers ever made. I believe they were about $500+ back in the 70's.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, its true. I still have my eyes open for a certain Pioneer TT. The design knocks me out still, and performance is acceptable.

But the reason old receivers are not so high priced is, as you might already know, the newer ones with digital in/out, and 6 channels at 100 watts each, remote control, and other very useful features make these old ones that still sound great, outdated. I have two receivers in the bedroom stacked up and a DTS outborad decoder hooked with them. So I can play surround on the other room. These two Yamahas were $15.00 each at the thrift store.

20 years ago you could not find good quality used gear like you can today. Anyone can afford a separates system now.

11. JorgeGvb

:agree: I am interested in putting a system together for vinyl, so some of these old receivers are perfect and have terrific phono stages too.

12. JorgeGvb

13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm collecting Pioneer gold components. So far I only have 2 though...that'll proablty be about it unless I someday get a DV-AX10.... Good gawd, hit me, what walls of stuff!

14. JorgeGvb

I had a gold SX-9 back in the 80's. :righton:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.