Can you identify this great swing tune?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Quoflector, Jan 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quoflector

Quoflector New Member Thread Starter

I want to play this tune on YouTube but can't because I don't know its title. It's the introductory swing tune, played for 30 seconds, for the attached YouTube video.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2019
  2. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

I don't know exactly which recording is used as the intro in this video, but the song being played is "Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing)" - written by Louis Prima and immortalized by Benny Goodman & His Orchestra. The version used in the video sounds more modern than Goodman's recording from the mid-1930s, but if you search YouTube for "Sing Sing Sing" you should find no shortage of versions.

Here's Goodman's original studio recording (also check out his 12+ minute live version from his 1938 concert at Carnegie Hall).

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes; with Gene Krupa on drums, correct ?

4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I believe so.
    When Peggy Lee became Goodman's singer a few years later, the crowds at their concerts would often call out for "Sing Sing Sing" - she didn't know that was the title of the song and she thought they were egging her on to sing louder.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

They woulda figured it out, if she'd walked over to make Krupa give her the drum stool...("Hmmm...nope, THAT ain't it-!")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.