Can you live with your current speaker until you die?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

Don’t we know it:)

2. tom rogers

tom rogers Active Member

Philharmonic Audio ftw! I'd love to have a pair of the BMR's.
    I am getting what will probably be my end-game speakers on Sunday. An immaculate pair of ADS L910's, with the original stands. Wish they had the bi-amp cards, but I'm not complaining. Seller is driving down from Phx. to deliver, to avoid damage in transit. I have no idea where they'll go until we move in the spring. Probably a temporary setup in my pc gaming room, where I already have a pair of L810's in near-field on this desktop. I'm like a kid on Christmas day!

Tim S likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I definitely lean to the BMRs. Congrats on the 910s, I love vintage ADS and those are awesome. I had a pair of 700 series and I liked them a LOT, especially for classical and jazz - there's a sweetness and purity to the top end in ADS tweeters that just can't be beat.

I'm very happy with my lower budget ascend speakers now (the ADS were ruined in flooding) - and I could certainly live happily with them forever, I just don't want to!

4. mjb1959

mjb1959 Active Member

"It is more important to enjoy music rather than sound. If one crave for nice sound, then it get difficult to concentrate on music."

^Well stated words Thomas Kong, audio gear and hifi is "stuff", but great music is "substance." Wisdom tells us the the eyes are never content or happy with all that they see, same can be true to the ears as well, there will always be more speakers , amps, and cables, tables, etc. To chase after.
    But hearing your favorite music even on a transistor radio is special.

I too have found my speakers for life, me being 60+ the Braun/ADS brand has been the example of audio nirvana for me, and what they do for the music I love is magical. I have had a few of them restored to their former glory, they are always so welcoming, enveloping and soothing to sit with for hours.
    Sorry to learn of the loss of your Father, I miss both my parents, but it gets better over time.

thomaskong likes this.
  5. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your kind word.

ADS is my first serious speaker that I got on 1978 with Garrad Tunrtable and Fisher Intergrated.

Enjoy it!

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

There are certainly better modern speakers but I am happy with my vintage Dynaco A35 speakers I have had since 1973. I bought a second pair, changed the crossover caps and stocked up on spare woofers and tweeters as backup.

I will keep these at least until I retire and help my daughters through college and hopefully then have some discretionary income to play with.

Of course, if I hit lotto all bets are off! :)

spiralgalaxy5 and thomaskong like this.
  7. mjb1959

mjb1959 Active Member

I also got my first ADS speakers in 1978(L810), along with the Yamaha cr-2040 receiver, and a Yamaha up d71 tt.

Went with many other brands since then, until I came upon some L880's and L980 monitor's, they simply sound correct to my aging ears. Truth is, I would be wasting money and time trying to get something better, contentment is not for sale, but it is a great thing to find

thomaskong likes this.
  8. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Yeah, me too. :goodie:

But for me it is critical to include THE most "symbiotic" or "synergisic" amplifier and room acoustics along with the speakers. It's a trio, a circle, that cannot be broken.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    thomaskong and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Correct!

11. Warren Jarrett

I have heard almost every model of Audio Note AN/E speaker, and found that I love ALL of them. Yes, the more expensive ones can sound better, with just the right amp. But, I've settled upon THE model that 100% satisfies me, at a much lower price than simply buying the highest model I can afford. And I tried various amps, only a few of which brings this model of speaker into my "live with forever" class.

The combination of AN/E-LX-HE with AN-Empress-Silver amps, provide me with everything I need. And all that satisfaction comes at under $20000 for the pair of pairs.

jsr and thomaskong like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Is it cheating to say I can live with four different speakers?

I am fortunate to have been able to acquire some nice speakers for the different systems In our house. Especially now that I put the little Harbeth P3ESRs in my office, I have all the different flavors I would ever need:

KEF Reference 1...the name says it all, my reference. Detail, imaging, tone, dynamics, just perfection. The best speaker I will ever need. If I had to choose just one this would be it without a doubt.

B&W 805 D3...Superb detail and resolution. A little more energetic in the mids and treble. A really fun speaker that gives just that little bit of extra sizzle for vocals and electric guitar.

KEF LS50...Amazing holographic imaging, great detail, beautiful midrange, and killer tone especially with tube amplification. Great bass slam in a small to medium sized room. An incredible speaker and one which I will never let go.

Harbeth P3ESR...The newest addition to my line up. The term "Natural" is so subjective, but this is it. Well recorded instruments simply sound real. Think of the beautiful tone that comes from the resonant body of an acoustic guitar or percussion instrument and you have an idea what this speaker can do. In a small room this one just checks all the boxes for me. I fall more in love with these every day.

13. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

No. Easiest part is buying new speakers. Hardest part is trying to unload the ones I have.

14. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Try Facebook marketplace or craigslist. Speakers weigh too much to make shipping worthwhile in most cases. You won't get what you paid. But there's gotta be someone in your community that wants good speakers for < retail prices. Just don't expect full MSRP.

thomaskong and Madness like this.
  15. Warren Jarrett

I have VERY enjoyed brief listens to all 4 of your choises. What amps have you tried with the KEF Reference 1, with what sonic results?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Hi Warren, thanks. I have only run the Reference 1s with the Rega Elicit-R. Tone is just on the slightly warm side of neutral. The amp has enough power for great dynamics, but the standout feature for me is a big soundstage with very precise detail.

I would love to hear them with tubes, but not willing to haul another amp up to the third floor :).

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.