Canada : Acoustic Sounds $29.99 flat rate shipping - No Duty/Tax

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by brimuchmuze, Aug 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident Thread Starter

Acoustics Sounds has been advertising a $29.99 flat rate shipping to Canada, with no duty/taxes.

It sounds too good to be true. Has anyone tried it?

It seems to be using FedEx International Ground, are there brokerage fees?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  2. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

There are always brokerage fees AND Canadian taxes on top !

3. brimuchmuze

Yes, it seems misleading. But they say "Duty and Tax Free on any Size Order"

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It’s possible they are paying for the duty and tax themselves like how it works when we purchase from Amazon UK or US now. The only difference is the Amazon’s calculate the amount based on your purchase price whereas AS seems to be just taking the “win some lose some” attitude in that they will make a few dollars on small purchases but lose some on large ones. Doesn’t seem sustainable.

5. brimuchmuze

Well I placed an order and will report back later :)

6. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I put one in too. 6 discs, two of which are preorders. Requested they ship in stock now and send others when available. Only charged one shipping charge (so far). Sent by fed ex. See what happens with their duty and broker fees.

7. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I've always been 'dinged' for broker/custom fees with FedEx with anything I've had delivered from the U.S. Hope you have a happier ending.

8. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Same here. Usually, an invoice arrives up to 2 months later.

monte4 likes this.
  9. allbrosca

Me too. I guess I could have asked if duty and taxes included brokerage fees, but I just rolled the dice.

monte4 likes this.
  10. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

For air services (Express and Priority, I think they call them), brokerage is included; you just pay the taxes. (And for quite a while there, my orders that were processed through Montreal were only being hit for 5% GST, instead of the full 15% HST for NS. But they seem to have "fixed" that over the past year.)

You will get hit with a $10 "advancement" fee when FedEx clears your package for you; however, just set up an account with them, with a credit card on file, and they will charge the card, with no advancement fee. (They've even reversed the advancement fee for me when the system. didn't match the shipment to my account.)

I can't wait to hear the details of this new option, although, at $30, I'll still be building bulk orders to help spread the cost. (Also, I'm very happy with how smooth my shipments via FedEx Express have been, for only $20-30 more, so will wait for a few reviews before jumping on it.)

11. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Those of you who placed orders, were you charged GST/HST by Acoustic Sounds, as part of your order? I just can't see these getting through (unless under a certain value) without customs unless the Canadian sales taxes is collected at source. Would be happy to be wrong, though!

12. allbrosca

The promotion says duty and taxes included which I would think would cover HST/GST. My invoice just adds $29.99 for shipping to the unit costs even though 2 items were preorders. I will update if I learn of any additional charges. Status is pending so not shipped yet.

Fractured and noname74 like this.
  13. brimuchmuze

I have a shipment on the way.

Interestingly, when I look at the FEDEX "Shipment Facts" for my tracking number, it says:

BILL DUTIES/TAXES/FEES TO
    Shipper

Maybe AS will be getting an invoice from FEDEX?

Well, I assume AS thought this through :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Strat-Mangler and allbrosca like this.
  14. noname74

Order now before they realize they f’d themselves on this! :laugh:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. brimuchmuze

Got my package :)

No Duty/GST/Brokerage Fees!

On the invoice it says "Terms of Sale (Incoterm): Bill Sender"

16. allbrosca

Mine has not shipped yet. Had them split it into 2 orders, separating the preorders, so I will get two shipping fees but they won't hold the rest of the order to wait for the preorders, one of which has an October release date and one of which is TBA.

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Bit confused. $30 US for shipping is considered a deal? Strange times.

monte4 likes this.
  18. allbrosca

It is when it also covers duty and taxes. It's like rolling the dice to see if you get dinged for it if your shipment is over $30 and then you also get dinged by customs brokerage and handling charges of various sizes depending on how they ship it.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  19. allbrosca

And my order came through. HST alone would have been over $29.95, never mind shipping, duty, brokerage and handling charges.

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I’m thinking it’s time to place an order, maybe combine with others ;)

chaz and allbrosca like this.
  21. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Just received a few LPs from them. Shipping by FedEx ground, $30 flat. No additional charges, taxes.

chaz, Twinsfan007, Blair G. and 2 others like this.
  22. noname74

Can someone point me to where it states this new policy as I can’t find anything about it on the site…

23. allbrosca

On the home page there is a banner. Right now the Labor Day Sale comes up first. Scroll through about 3 more till you get to it.

noname74 likes this.
  24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Not really a new policy, just a limited time offer.

25. brimuchmuze

I guess this offer is dead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.