Canadians: Purchasing Used Vinyl via Discogs From UK, Shipped via Royal Mail/Canada Post. DUTIES??

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TheRunoutMatrix, Dec 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Oh ok. Sorry, thought you were selling on Discogs, which uses Goldmine/Discogs grading exclusively.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue. Thread Starter

Ugh, I know the one. Brown cover? I used to manage a record store in the 90s and we sold hundreds of them. We had to play it all the time; it was on our stupid mandatory playlist! That one and Jagged Little Pill. Had to play both all damn day.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, for some reason it still sells by the truckload here! I've never heard it before and hopefully won't again! I've just cleaned it and will sell it tomorrow. Halfway through side two, no surface noise so far! Fingers crossed! It's currently out of print so I'll probably ask what a new copy would cost, about £20, assuming it continues to play this well.

The worst thing is I played Parliament - Mothership Connection before it, which is pure joy!

TheRunoutMatrix likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is awful...

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh no, I understand. :righton:

Like I say, there's at least three grading systems, so it is all a bit blurry. VG+ or above should always be playing to a very high standard no matter what.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  6. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue. Thread Starter

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's actually beyond me why anyone would chose to listen to that. The music is bland, with an overly slick sound for that kind of thing and I just thought the lyrics are trite. If you're sat thinking 'I hope the next one is slow and boring, about issues' then it repeatedly doesn't let you down. There must be a big market for it. Hopefully nowhere near me.

8. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Don’t mean it’s inconsequential at all. The most expensive recording I ever bought was when I was a teenager… took a lot of saving up to get one little tape that ultimately arrived from the UK with a crack in it!

But if I’m buying from out of country, I include all taxes, duties in my budget. If I’m already broke when it arrives, an $80 bill is even worse. But if I’ve planned to spend that extra bit and the bill never comes then I’m golden.

9. TheRunoutMatrix

One of the records I bought in this package is a strong VG+/VG+ Wide Spine Sgt. Peppers in mono with all inserts and the flame inner. Very expensive for me, but a good deal IMO at £130.00 - about CAD$217. I've wanted a wide spine for a long, long time and I finally pulled the trigger. And like I said earlier, I am not wealthy. This hurt financially but it is an lifetime purchase for me! There's also a EX media / NM sleeve first press stereo Help that I'm very excited about.

jalexander likes this.
  10. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

None of my packages from UK got dinged with duty. However, they were $50-$100 in value only. They were sent with Royal Mail and handled by Canada Post.

Fedex charged all kinds of fees on the one package from Spain I received. (but at least it only took 4 business days door to door).

TheRunoutMatrix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.