Cancelled Television Shows - Ongoing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, May 22, 2020.

1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm not losing any sleep over it but I think the lesson is to never trust NBC (or any network for that matter like FOX with Prodigal Son) to deliver on a promise to keep a series with a continuous storyline going. I gave up on Debris half way through. I did stick with Manifest and hated the last two minutes. But, there should be some contractual obligation for these shows to be allowed to wrap up in a two hour movie or something. It would build trust with fans and keep them from fleeing broadcast TV even more.

I will still stick with Law & Order: Organized Crime because NBC will not screw over a Dick Wolf show without having a proper ending.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

I don't trust continuity based shows until season 4. Once it gets there it has a conclusion 90% of the time. Sitcoms I will watch from season 1 because those don't really need an ending. Unless I hear it's a great show that's my threshold for big story based shows.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

regular law and order had an ending?

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It was not a continuing storyline like Organized Crime is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You'll never stop saying it...just look at how many shows there are now, in development, shuffling from network-to-netflix, spinning-off, channel-after-service-after-streamer...don't worry, there's always something that's gonna disappoint you.

And most of them will never have the chance to assemble the critical mass of viewers they will need to really consider them a success, because there's no "majority" audience that can access the show, wherever it ends up.

That's what "choice" is. :pleased:

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I was just going to start watching Manifest, but I will wait to see if it moves to Amazon or Netflix first.

7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Van Buren got good news on her cancer treatment so it felt endingish.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It's true the original Law & Order got an abrupt cancellation. The story goes Dick Wolf asked NBC for too much under the assumption NBC would give him anything he wanted because he assumed NBC would keep the show going to break the record for longest running show. So, he overplayed his hand. It's a shame because I thought that show had improved the last couple of seasons with Sam Waterston moving up to boss and Linus Roache and Alana de la Garza the new prosecutors. Supposedly, S. Epetha Merkeson was leaving the show anyway so that is why her storyline was wrapped up.

Anyway, that was over ten years ago. Nowadays, Wolf has entire nights of programming on multiple networks and some of his shows are getting renewed for three years instead of one. He has more power now than ever.

That is why I said I can safely watch Law & Order: Organized Crime because if it ever does get cancelled I'm sure enough notice will be given to him to properly wrap it up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh, i WILL stop saying it about 'manifest', you can bet the house on it.

10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

My wife and I enjoyed Rebel; I can't believe they didn't renew it. It was really good.

11. More Than A Feeling

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

14. More Than A Feeling

15. MikaelaArsenault

Yes.

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. George P

George P Notable Member

18. More Than A Feeling

19. George P

George P Notable Member

20. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

In the mid-2000's NBC carried two or three new long-storyline shows every year. I got hooked on two, and, despite good reviews and ratings, both were cancelled halfway through. One, a show about a kidnapping leading to a deeper conspiracy plot, did get a kinda-sorta mid-season ending. The second, a really fun heist show set in LA, just stopped. I have up on watching anything like that on NBC ever again.

tonyc and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

marmalade166 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….