Cannot access eBay for the last few days

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by SVL, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

from my home computer; can get to eBay just fine from my other two ISPs, but this one is the fastest, and the one that I used for bidding.

eBay does not ping (no packets returned at all), and when I try to trace route, it times out doing a request to a server in either San Jose or Sacramento (?).

What is funny is that I can access eBay from this ISP using a proxy server (a US-located proxy, but could be any other one, I assume).

Any ideas?

:confused:

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

3. SVL

It is essentially the same address; the whole block of eBay addresses seems to be inaccessible (ebay.com, co.uk, de etc.)

Does not look like a DNS problem either, 'cause 66.135.208.101 is not responding either.

It is almost like eBay is blocking my ISP, which is probably the worst thing, because eBay's tech support seems to be nonexistent.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Maybe they blocked your ISP for security reasons (IE, some other user was attacking their servers or abusing the service). Like a domain K-line on IRC servers...

5. SVL

Yes, that is what I am thinking too... it is a small and generally friendly ISP though, I don't believe they may be up to anything shady:).

Apart from that, blocking an ISP and letting people through proxies is really not a way to stop a hacker:)

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:laugh: True enough. But it's a step in the right direction, I guess, and requires the hacker to be a bit smarter. All it takes is one user to get a foreign or small ISP K-lined most of the time, unfortunately.

7. SVL

Just sent eBay an e-mail with my IP address, whatever good this may do:(

8. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't access Ebay either, nor many other pages for that matter. There seems to be something of a general slowdown on the 'net today.

I hear there's a new one of those worm thingies making the rounds, maybe it has something to do.

Too bad, there were a couple DCC Doors I was gonna try to jump on. Oh well.. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.