Canon Optura Problem

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RetroSmith, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Guys, just in case anyone else has had this problem, I thought I'd ask about it.

I have the Original Canon Optura DV camcorder , the one from 1997 that looks just like a 35mm camera.

The cam works great. The problem is that when I plug it into my Firewire port on my XP machine, XP just will not recognixe the Camera, period. Xp shows nothing when I plug in the cam. its the only device that I've ever plugged in that XP says nothing about, not even "huh--whats this"??

Now, I know the Firewire card in the Pc is fine because it works great with with my IPOD. I know the Firewire port in the CAMERA is active because when I plug a cable in, the camera screen reads "DV In"

Someone told me that the early Canon and JVC cams have a 1394 spec that is different from the current one and thats why it will not work with XP.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks,

Mikey

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Like you say, it could be just old firmware in the camera: my Canon ZR60 pops right up as a new device when I plug it in. It even shows up in my various video editing programs and works properly without having to install any type of driver or support software. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.