Capitol Records 2-track Reel-to-Reel Tapes, 1957-1958

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That Where Are You mix is my favourite version of the album, even if there are tracks missing.

Nice 'N' Easy does exist in reel to reel, albeit not in that series, and does sound really sweet as well. Another one to track down is Come Dance With Me.

.crystalised. likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And the Nice 'N' Easy and Come Dance With Me are 4 track tapes and therefore not in this discussion while excellent in early duplications. Where Are You is the only Frank Sinatra 2 track Stereo tape ever offered.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

My apologies. I had forgotten that they were of a different kind.

Turmatic likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for continued discussion, and sharing stories in this Thread.

Interesting!

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The Capitol "Grand Canyon" Effect was the most wonderful thing for Me,but the CD versions of some of those Flatlines that Magnificent Sound terribly!

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That said, they are still superb tapes. And recommended for those with 1/4 track playback heads.

Simon A likes this.
  7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I know it's not relevant to this particular thread but I'd love info on this tape. I've never seen a 7 1/2 ips mono pet sounds

More on topic: I actually stumbled upon a small cache of Capitol Z-reels while on vacation in the Caribbean, of all places... $5 a pop but they didn't look pretty. I passed. That said, if they had "Where Are You" in the collection…

8. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

The texture of the strings on "Autumn Leaves" is stunning, breathtaking. I've rarely heard nuances that moving in recorded music of any age or condition. I'm left to wonder if it's the "open" mike configuration or the half-track transfer, or a combination of the two. Really powerful moment for Where Are You?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Simon A likes this.
  9. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

So here is a list I made combining what was on this forum with my own collection. Some I own and some I do not. If anyone can fill in the missing numbers with titles and/or more info, I would greatly appreciate it!

Capitol Z tape series 1957-1958

ZA-1: Intro To Stereo
    ZH-2: A Study In Stereo (has a few tracks missing from other tapes)
    ZF-3: L’Italia
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra – Carmen Dragon
    ZF-4: Bolero & Capriccio Espagnol
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony – Felix Slatkin
    ZF-5: Symphonic Dances
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony – Felix Slatkin
    ZF-6: Gypsy
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony – Carmen Dragon
    ZF-7: Toch: Third Symphony
    Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra – William Steinberg
    ZH-8: The Orchestra
    Stokowski (made up of New York symphonic musicians)
    ZF-9: House of the Lord: Roger Wagner Chorale
    ZD-10: Kenton in Hi-Fi
    ZD-11: Love is the Thing – Nat King Cole
    ZD-12: Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians in Hi-Fi
    ZC-13: Black Satin – George Shearing Quintet
    ZF-14: The Music of Christmas
    The Hollywood Symphony Orchestra, Carmen Dragon
    ZF-15: Joy to the World, Roger Wagner Chorale
    ZC-16: Wide Range, Johnny Richards
    ZD-17: Where Are You?, Frank Sinatra
    ZC-18: Stolen Hours, Gordon Jenkins
    ZD-19: Velvet Brass, Jackie Gleason
    ZC-20: Ports of Pleasure, Les Baxter
    ZD-21: The Stars in Stereo (Various artists, collects tracks missing on other tapes)
    ZF-22: Beethoven, Symphony No. 7 – Pittsburgh Symphony Orch, Steinberg
    ZF-23: Britten/Dohnanyi, Slatkin

ZF-24: Russkaya
    The Hollywood Bowl Symphony, Carmen Dragon
    ZF-25: Debussy: La Mer; Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe (Suite 2)
    Los Angeles Philharmonic, Erich Leinsdorf
    ZF-26: Dvorak Violin Concerto – Milstein
    ZF-27: Gliere Ilya Mourometz, Stokowski
    ZD-28: Just One of Those Things, Nat King Cole
    ZC-29: Wild About Harry, Harry James

ZC-30: Jimmie Lunceford in Hi-Fi – Billy May
    ZC-31: Stringtime, Pittsburgh Symphony Strings, Richard Jones
    ZC-32: Composer’s Holiday
    Les Brown & His Band of Renown
    ZD-33: Oooo, Jackie Gleason
    ZC-34: Young Ideas, Ray Anthony
    ZF-35: Landmarks of a Distinguished Career, Stokowski

ZF-36: Overture – Felix Slatkin, Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orch.
    ZF-37: The Sound of Wagner
    Erich Leinsdorf, Concert Arts Symphony Orchestra
    ZF-38: A World of Music, Carmen Dragon, Capitol Symphony Orchestra
    ZF-39: Starlight Chorale, Roger Wagner Chorale & Orchestra (tape distorts a lot in opening tracks (bad copy?), 4 track sounds better)
    ZF-40: Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1, Pennario
    ZF-41: The Music Man, Original Broadway Cast
    ZC-42: I Wish You Love, Keely Smith
    ZC-43: Rendezvous with Kenton, Stan Kenton (some copies have major drop out issues on each rotation, faulty master?)
    ZC-44: All Through The Night, Fred Waring
    ZC-46: Space Escapade, Les Baxter
    ZC-47: Sea of Dreams, Nelson Riddle
    ZF-49: Stravinsky Firebird/Petrushka – Stokowski, Berlin Philharmonic

ZF-50: Chopin By Starlight
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony, Carmen Dragon
    ZF-51: Fiesta
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony, Carmen Dragon
    ZF-52: Khachaturian Piano Concerto, Pennario/Slatkin
    ZF-53: Grand Canyon Suite/Mississippi Suite
    Hollywood Bowl Symphony, Felix Slatkin
    ZF-54: Offenbach Gaite Parisienne, Slatkin/Hollywood Bowl Symp.
    ZC-55: The Music Man, Fred Waring

ZD-57: The Torch With the Blue Flame, Jackie Gleason
    ZC-58: Concert Modern, Les Brown

ZC-61: Gordon MacRae In Concert

ZF-64: La Belle France, Dragon
    ZF-66: Tchaikovsky Swan Lake, Levine, Ballet Theater Orch.

ZF-67: Nutcracker Suite, Midsummer Night’s Dream, Hollywood Bowl Symp, Felix Slatkin
    75 – Holst, Planets (who?)

ZD-76: The King and I: Soundtrack

ZD-79: Sounds of the Great Bands, Glen Gray
    ZC-80: Medley Time, Don Baker at the Console (organ)

ZF-83: The Orchestra Sings, Carmen Dragon, Capitol Symphony Orchestra
    ZF-84: Virtuoso, Roger Wagner Chorale
    ZF-85: Grieg Concerto in a minor, Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Pennario/Leinsdorf, Los Angeles Philharmonic

ZD 88: The Military Band, Felix Slatkin
    ZD-91: Carousel, Film Soundtrack

Any more past 91?

smurfer likes this.
  10. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Sadly the 7 1/2 tape is Duophonic. I have a reel of it, duped on Scotch 150 polyester tape so it's not plagued with breaks.

Pelvis Ressley and MrRom92 like this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A bit of a tangent, but does anyone know the significance of "Z" regarding stereo? Capitol used it for these tapes, EMI used it to denote stereo mixes, Decca used it for stereo matrix info, etc.

12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

With the amount of times this title gets licensed for audiophile reissue, it's one of the ones I'd absolutely love to see get duped as 15ips title. Preferably full track mono if that's possible. Preferably from the tape Steve prepared in the 90's. and hey, if these Z-reel masters are all still extant - they should be used to run off new dupes of these titles too!

13. JKSoundman

JKSoundman Well-Known Member

The ZF-75 is Stokowski/LA Symphony

smurfer, SBC and Simon A like this.
  14. michael22

michael22 Forum Resident

The complete listing of Capitol "Z" tapes is available on the Yahoo reeltoreel group under
    Files with the title tapeindex15.xls

Yahoo! Groups »

SBC and Simon A like this.
  15. michael22

michael22 Forum Resident

My copy of ZD-11 Love is the Thing (Nat King Cole) is problematic, and I'm wondering how many others have experienced this. While the strings are stunning, Nat's voice has extreme sibilance. The s's are almost impossible to listen to. Is this typical of this title, or do I just have a bad copy?

smurfer likes this.
  16. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Mine is like that too. I think they are all like that as I've seen others comment on this problem as well, including Mr. Hoffman.

smurfer, McLover, SBC and 1 other person like this.
  17. michael22

michael22 Forum Resident

You may notice that my 'avatar' now contains the image of Capitol ZH-8, "The Orchestra" conducted by Stokowski. This is an unusual album as it is packaged in the same (13" x 13") box as the vinyl version of the same title. The tape itself is packaged in a smaller (7.5" x 7.5") box encased within. The idea, I supposed, was to provide the same program notes booklet that accompanied the record. The tape, unfortunately, is not the best-sounding Capitol 2-track, unfortunately. I'd give it a B or B+ sonic rating.

McLover, MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

The EMI CD from, IIRC, the early 90s is no stunner, either.

michael22 and Simon A like this.
  19. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

It says I need to be a member of the group to view it - is there a way you can add me?

20. michael22

michael22 Forum Resident

You need to join the group to access the files and photos. As you probably know, Yahoo is a mess. If you can get your email address to me, I might be able to 'invite' you ...

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

22. smurfer

smurfer Forum Resident

Guys, I just got into r2r last year. I rebuilt an RT-707. It sounds great and I'm enjoying it a lot. But the bug has bittten. I have on the bench now a Revox PR99 and a Technics RS-1500 on the post. The PR99 is rebuilt and I'm just doing last stages of calibration. I have only one of these Z series so far - the George Shearing, Black Satin. As another poster mentioned the mic setup changes around a bit between some of the tracks and it's a bit weird, but boy I now have a taste of what 2 track can do. And so I google search and come across this thread. I'm now collecting the series (and others) so I will post some of my experiences here as my adventure matures.

But I just wanted to get in now and say thank you to the many posts, especially from Matt and Steve. I'm new to r2r and recording practices from this era and this thread has given me an adrenaline rush due to high density of new info - I've been so lame as to make a little google doc for myself of some key interesting points. okay, I better get back to work now, so I can get home and finish of the PR99!

MLutthans, SBC, hoover537 and 3 others like this.
  23. smurfer

smurfer Forum Resident

The PR99 has been declared finished. You can see the details over on AK if interested - pic of PR99 and celebratory beer. I now have a small collection of maybe 10 z-series tapes. Sadly one (Stan Kenton) had been near a magnetic field at some point; all of the high frequency was erased. Other than that the tapes play great with just a couple of level fluctuations on a couple of the tapes. Much better experience than I had with the 4-tack tapes, but I suppose that extra track width does help! The shiny gold reel labels and the entire package just feel special!! Honestly, I have also been having, on average, a really good experience with 2-track in general, with some great sounding tapes I have now heard from Mercury, Columbia, RCA and a couple of others.

I promise to post some thoughts as a newcomer to r2r and share pics as my collection grows (and I hope that is interesting for people here). I do have one question and I apologize if it has been answered already, is what type of Scotch tape where they recorded on?

Daily Nightly and .crystalised. like this.
  24. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Probably Scotch 111, at least for Capitol. But don't quote me on that.

Welcome to the world of tape - it sounds great when conditions are ideal. I've got some four tracks that sound excellent, so I think the difference has to do more with duplication quality than it does track width. The wider tracks of an in-line tape do provide some benefit, and crosstalk is less of an issue. But I've got a Capitol four track of Sinatra's Nice 'n Easy that sounds 90% as good as my best half tracks, and ditto for some Reprise titles. But I've noticed that four tracks seem more susceptible to problems, since the quality of the pre-recorded tapes is less consistent, especially between labels and vintage.

smurfer likes this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Thinner tape, at least one more tape-copy step prior to the actual duplication process, higher dubbing speeds -- it's amazing that ANY 4-track tapes sound any good!

MMM, smurfer and .crystalised. like this.