Captain Beefheart Album by Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Jan 18, 2018.

1. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Those liner notes are difficult, but were one of the main reasons I bought the physical set. I have the iTunes digital copy and was satisfied with that for a while, but finally pulled the trigger on the CD set and I'm glad I did.

I have the TMR sessions on vinyl (Volume 2 of the 3 part series) but I haven't read the booklet that comes with it. Very nice vinyl set too, but rarely gets spins as I prefer TMR with lyrics.

Grow Fins: Rarities 1965-1982 discography For anyone who is OCD about researching before purchasing (or even post purchase), that link on the Radar Station has pretty much every tid-bit of info you could want along with several user reviews. A lot of the reviews are fun to read too IMO. I am one of the OCD's that I mention above. Even if it's someone's completely biased opinion, I usually give it a full read and sometimes more then once. I'm with the group in thinking this is ESSENTIAL for anyone who's more then a casual CB fan.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I will give this box set the weekend then move on.

3. vinyl diehard

Finally found TMR on CD today while out to RSD.

ToneLa, subtr, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  4. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Nice. Was it a newly-released version?

5. vinyl diehard

Nope. The U.S. Reprise, 2027-2, released in 1989.

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The boxset. Growing Fins. I realise today that I made mistake back then (when I bought it). I hated getting the CDs out of the scratchy brown card sleeves. And yet hated the idea of housing them in some sleeves to be kept outside of the book-box. So, I took the advice of the the booklet and burnt a CD of the tracks from the House Sessions that made up the TMR album (CD3) – in the correct order of the TMR album. As a result I now realise that I deprived myself of much of the interest of CD3, which is all the 'untitled' ambient sound and voice tracks that interleave the material, plus the false starts and try-outs. I think CD3 is much more interesting as a whole and now I think I missed that. And that's the end of my sorry tale. But it has a happy ending.

subtr and Blue Note like this.
  7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

But you still have the original CDs, right? My Grow Fins story is that CD 4 did not want to come out of the cardboard sleeve and when I did force it the cardboard ripped and was still attached to the cd. Some kind of adhesive or glue was on the CD rendering it useless. So I had to get a replacement CD from the seller which took a couple of months but I finally got it. Needless to say I have all the CDs in jewel cases now.

Jack Keck and mr.datsun like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes - on my shelf next to the CD-R of the re-sequenced house sessions. It's a lovely set but those sleeves ! As it is I never opened it since. :)

Revenent did the same thing with the Doc Boggs CD.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

For anyone here who does not own the OOP Grow Fins box but wants the TMR house sessions, it was reissued as a separate CD from Gonzo records last year.

mr.datsun likes this.
  10. vinyl diehard

Listened to TMR for the first time today. I think all the discussion here eased me into it and I could appreciate it better. Definitely needs multiple listenings.

11. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

Just picked up a Red Buddah Label first press of Safe As Milk- songs are super solid from first to last!

vinyl diehard and WonkyWilly like this.
  12. Fast and bulbous!

ToneLa, Jack Keck and vinyl diehard like this.
  13. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...and a tin tear drop :D

Blue Note likes this.
  14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I'm amazed that anyone on this forum hasn't listened at some point to at least some of TMR - I envy you that first listen! Like many pivotal moments in our lives, I will always remember my first time hearing TMR!!

vinyl diehard likes this.
  15. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I only play Trout Mask Replica occasionally, because it's so dense a long break can help me notice something new every time. This works with most music - you can't miss what doesn't leave! - but it's really enriching to have that album never outstay its welcome and every dive back in uncover new patterns, which is usually how it goes (the rhythm on that record is a fun element to ponder)

16. vinyl diehard

Next, a live album!

I"m Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978

I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do is a live album from Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band. In support of the US release of his album Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), Beefheart and the band undertook a promotional club tour. On Saturday 18 November 1978 they performed at My Father's Place in Roslyn, New York. My Father's Place was located under a motorway bridge, held about 200 people and the patrons sat at long tables and could dine whilst listening if they wished. The show was recorded and mixed directly to two-track tape. Rhino Records made the album available for download, after a limited release on CD.

I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do
    [​IMG]
    Live album by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
    Released
    Recorded 1978
    Genre Blues rock, proto-punk
    Length 83:27
    Label Rhino
    Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band chronology
    Grow Fins
    (1999) I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978
    (2000) An Ashtray Heart

Track listing
    All songs written by Don Van Vliet

Disc One: Main Show

1. "Tropical Hot Dog Night" 4:36
    2. "Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man" 5:07
    3. "Owed t'Alex" 5:20
    4. "Dropout Boogie" 3:13
    5. "Harry Irene" 3:46
    6. "Abba Zaba" 3:44
    7. "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles" 4:12
    8. "Old Fart at Play" 2:26
    9. "Well" 3:35
    10. "Ice Rose" 3:56
    11. "Moonlight on Vermont" 3:52
    12. "The Floppy Boot Stomp" 4:18
    13. "You Know You're a Man" 3:26
    14. "Bat Chain Puller" 5:55
    15. "Apes-Ma" 0:46
    16. "When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy" 6:04
    17. "Veteran's Day Poppy" 9:11

Disc Two: Encores

1. "Safe as Milk" 5:19
    2. "Suction Prints" 4:41

Personnel

Richard Redus – guitar, slide guitar, accordion
    Jeff Moris Tepper – guitar, slide guitar
    Bruce Fowler – trombone
    Eric Drew Feldman – bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizer
    Robert Williams – drums, percussionDon Van Vliet – vocals, tenor sax, soprano sax, harmonica
    Mary Jane Eisenberg – shake bouque

Blue Note, zobalob and RandelPink like this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Awesome album. One of my favs of his.

Jack Keck and zobalob like this.
  18. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I was so happy when this was released. Before, all we had was a crappy, slowed-down "New York Hot Dog Night" boot!

19. Awesome album. Really a shame it's not more widely available on CD.

20. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I've never heard it or was even aware of it. If I've ever seen a copy, I probably assumed it was a bootleg.

21. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

There are other versions of it apart from the Rhino release (albeit one is a single cd that misses out Moonlight on Vermont, Bat Chain Puller and Apes Ma). Not sure what either are like, or that they're legit, but they're a lot cheaper than the Rhino is now.

Jack Keck likes this.
  22. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Muy excellente live Beef, from one of his greatest bands and in great form throughout. I got this immediately when it came out, I remember you had to order directly from Rhino or something? It was a super-small batch so it was buy now or starve! I don't think it was ever made available outside of that initial run -- though I now see there's downloads available.

I'm playing the album now, and have to admit I sort of forgot about this one for awhile, for some reason. So its good to play it again! Always dug it. Love the setlist. Great sound. I always wished they used a different cover though -- Captain Beefheart was a painter, dang it! There's gotta be a painting we could use. But oh well.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I bought one such shady release out of desperation because I missed the boat on the Rhino and it's such a great show. But this CD has some sort of mp3 artifacting noise thing going on through the whole disc, which is drag. Surely the Rhino doesn't sound like this, does it?

24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

No, the Rhino sounds great. Damn, this is a hot show!!

"I'm gonna do what I wanna do!!"

25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I saw the Nov 11 Boston performance on this tour - it was incredible but the crowd was rowdy and obnoxious. He gave up half way through "Well" - but his voice was in great form and he did an "interesting" synthesizer solo - free form jazz style.

RandelPink likes this.