Captain Beefheart Album by Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

The banter is mostly good natured on this release but the Captain does get a bit thrown during "Well" ("cut it out man, this isn't in 4/4 time!"). "You Know You're A Man" is absolutely killer here.

Pants Party, vinyl diehard and lou like this.
  2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I'm not a hardcore vinyl guy, but I do like to get LP versions of my favorite albums. Never managed to get an original Trout Mask but I did get a clean mid 70's pressing. Truth is, I mostly just wanted the lyric insert, which obviously my copy did not have.

One day at ebay, there was a TMR insert for sale - just the lyric sheet, no LP or cover - and the story was that it was from the estate of Herb Cohen. I slept on it and the next day POOF it was sold. I believe it was only around $40-$50.

Anyway, if anyone is like me and you also lack the LP lyric sheet and want one:
    Rare inserts: CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Trout Mask Replica

Save those images and resize them in microsoft word - print them yourself. Not perfect but it's as close as this rabbit will get to a diamond. I don't even think the new ThirdMan reissue comes with a lyric sheet? Dunno, maybe it does.

3. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Thanks so much for the link! And I'm 99% sure the ThirdMan release will NOT have the insert. I myself also want one but still on the hunt for an original pressing at a decent price (and I did sign up for the TM release too)

Here's a quick blurb from the Radar Station I’m Going To Do What I Wanna Do: Live At My Father’s Place, 1978 with some nice additions. This site is awesome for anything CB related IMO.

asdf35 likes this.
  4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Luckily I have an original pressing with lyric sheet!!

And I agree Don seems in a good mood on I'm Gonna Do What I'm Gonns Do. Very different than on the Doc tour where he is very confrontational with the audience and seems quite angry at a lot of the concerts.

asdf35 likes this.
  5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Sorry for the side-rant - but how hard is it for them print up some more of those damn things? I find it an essential roadmap for the album....and if you feel like selling the insert (you can keep the rest)

6. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Did you also see him on the 1980 tour? He did do a keyboard solo in Boston on that tour. I don't think he did in 1978, at least not on a recording I was listening to earlier.

( I read your post earlier and wanted to hear it, so I pulled out some recordings . . . )

7. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

See, I'd assumed a bootlegger would have used the Rhino cd as their source, but why do that when you can just download mp3s and create a 'product' that is both shady and poor.

8. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I see I'm Going to Do is on Itunes. I will need to get a copy downloaded as any available CD seems to be ridiculously priced.

9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

It was a long time ago so you may be right, I may be confusing the two concerts.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

12. mcchocchoc

Cool, I know what you mean. Here are set lists for the '78 and '80 shows as I transferred and tracked them when I shared the recordings at dime and zappateers
    a bunch of years ago.

11-11-78 Paradise Club, Boston, Mass.

01. Tropical Hot Dog Night
    02. Nowaday's A Woman's Gotta Hit A Man
    03. Owed T' Alex
    04. crowd & Don
    05. Drop Out Boogie
    06. Harry Irene
    07. Abba Zaba
    08. Old Fart At Play
    09. Well
    10. crowd & Don
    11. Ice Rose
    12. Moonlight On Vermont
    13. crowd & Don
    14. Bat Chain Puller
    15. When I See Mommy I Feel Like A Mummy
    16. Safe As Milk > Band Intros >
    17. Intro's cont'd
    18. Suction Prints

12-06-80 Paradise Club, Boston, Mass.

01. Hair Pie Bake III
    02. crowd
    03. Nowaday's A Woman's Gotta Hit A Man
    04. Abba Zaba
    05. Hot Head
    06. Ashtray Heart
    07. Dirty Blue Gene
    08. Best Batch Yet - Intros
    09. Safe As Milk
    10. Flavor Bud Living
    11. Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles
    12. One Red Rose That I Mean
    13. One Man Sentence
    14. The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back
    15. Doctor Dark
    16. Bat Chain Puller
    17. Keyboard Solo
    18. crowd
    19. My Human Gets Me Blues
    20. Sugar 'N Spikes
    21. Veteran's Day Poppy
    22. Sheriff Of Hong Kong
    23. Kandy Korn
    24. Suction Prints
    25. Big Eyed Beans From Venus

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    RandelPink and Scope J like this.
  13. vinyl diehard

Next up: (Text from wiki)

The Legendary A&M Sessions is an extended play featuring five songs by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, recorded early in their career for their original record label A&M Records. The EP was released by the company in 1984 after Captain Beefheart had gone into retirement.

The Legendary A&M Sessions
    [​IMG]
    EP by Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
    Released
    October 1984
    Recorded early 1966
    Genre Experimental rock, blues rock
    Length 11:46
    Label A&M
    Producer David Gates

Production

The EP is compiled from two singles originally released through A&M in 1966. The first of these paired the Bo Diddley cover "Diddy Wah Diddy" with a track written by Don Van Vliet (Beefheart) called "Who Do You Think You're Fooling?"

The second, "Moonchild", was written by producer David Gates (later of the band Bread), and was backed with Van Vliet's "Frying Pan".

The fifth song, "Here I Am I Always Am", was a rejected B-side which was initially planned as the B Side of "Moonchild" (and appears as such on a test pressing) but was passed over in favor of "Frying Pan". It was first officially released on this EP.

Track listing

All tracks written by Don Van Vliet, except where noted.

Side one

1. "Diddy Wah Diddy" (Willie Dixon, Ellas McDaniel) 2:28
    2. "Who Do You Think You're Fooling?" 2:10

Side two

1. "Moonchild" (David Gates) 2:30
    2. "Frying Pan" 2:05
    3. "Here I Am I Always Am" 2:33

Personnel

Don van Vliet (Captain Beefheart) – vocals, harmonica
    Doug Moon – guitar
    Richard Hepner – guitar
    Jerry Handley – bass
    Alex St. Clair Snouffer – drums (track 1–4)
    PG Blakely – drums (track 5)

Scope J likes this.
  14. mcchocchoc

I like these tracks. Early Beefheart is pretty great stuff. I pulled out a vinyl copy when I saw the post above today. Diddy Wah Diddy sounds excellent.
    That shoulda been a hit. I forget who, but I recall another act at the same time released it as a single and Don's version kinda slipped through the cracks.

I have 2 copies of this one on record, here's the one I spun earlier . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

((a bit off topic) . . right now I am listening to a live show from the Roxy 1975. It's really great! The double drums of John Drumbo French and
    Jimmy Carl Black are swell. Bruce Fowler's air bass is also pretty sweet. In addition to those two ex-Zappa members, it also features Elliott
    Ingber on guitar (Greg Davidson is the second guitarist here). Neat to hear Don recite "The Blimp". I also like the duet that Bruce and Drumbo
    do. It's a call and response, Bruce blowing his trombone and Drumbo tap dancing. Really great set-list, some great TMR pieces . . . Beatle Bones 'N Smokin' Stones just ended and they just went into Gimmie Dat Harp Boy . . . .)

15. vinyl diehard

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

This is the only official release I don't have by Captain Beefheart. I originally assumed these 5 tracks were covered between the Dust Blows Forward anthology and the Grow Fins box. So I never sought it out. So I can't really comment on this release other than to say I really dig early Beefheart and should probably at some point pick up the remaining tracks -- which I guess would be "Who Do You Think You're Fooling?" and "Moonchild."

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love these early tracks

Scope J and Platterpus like this.
  18. mcchocchoc

Hollywood, Palladium, Vox Battle Of The Bands. April 10, 1965.

[​IMG]

19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Who Do You Think You're Fooling is IMO the best early Beefheart track - I prefer it to Diddy Wah Diddy! Moonchild isn't as strong as it is written and arranged by David Gates, but it's rewarding for a couple of listens. And Don was playing some mean harmonica back then!

20. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The Rhino sounds perfect, and has the complete show from the Warner Brothers master tape.

Bootlegs are off-speed, edited and poor sounding broadcasts.

21. vinyl diehard

Bumpity.

Scope J likes this.
  22. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

We're coming to the end of the albums, right? So maybe we can stimulate some discussion on the studio albums by ranking them in your preference, greatest to least great. Here's my list:

1. Trout Mask
    2. Lick My Decals
    3. Clear Spot
    4. Doc at the Radar Station
    5. Strictly Personal
    6. Brown Wrapper Sessions including Mirror Man
    7. Shiny Beast
    8. Safe as Milk
    9. Ice Cream for Crow
    10. Spotlight Kid
    11. Blue jeans & Moonbeams
    12. Unconditionally Guaranteed

I forgot to rank the original Bat Chain Puller, it would go after Safe as Milk"

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Got that Live in London 74 one still to come. Not sure when it was released. Some other live stuff and Dust Blows Forward comp too.

Blue Note likes this.
  24. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

1. Trout Mask Replica
    2. Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
    3. Doc at the Radar Station
    4. Safe as Milk
    5. Ice Cream for Crow
    6. Lick My Decals Off, Baby
    7. Mirror Man
    8. Bat Chain Puller
    9. Strictly Personal
    10. Clear Spot
    11. The Spotlight Kid
    12. Unconditionally Guaranteed
    13. Bluejeans and Moonbeams

25. Amsterdam ‘80 is also an official release, and a good one.