Captain Beefheart Album by Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Even though I'm guilty of it myself, it's probably not fair to compare Shiny Beast and Bat Chain Puller, since Bat Chain Puller is really the artistic genesis and creative core that exploded into becoming his final three albums -- not just Shiny Beast. And taking that into consideration is one of the reasons I think I enjoy BCP the most. It has pieces of all of those rolled into a singular musical statement.

But essentially, I see BCP as his final master-masterpiece, that had enough creative mojo crammed into it that he could bite off pieces and expand it into three unique albums. And I don't think the "children of Bat Chain Puller" (if you will) are lesser. As you mentioned, some great stuff was newly created when that all happened.

2. Finally snagged a physical copy of Grow Fins; $80 used in great condition. The book looks fantastic.

3. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

4. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

For those times when the dust blows forward and the dust blows back...

kendo, Spadeygrove and Blue Note like this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Didn't Don once sell vacuums? Makes you think...

jacethecrowl likes this.
  6. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

There's just been an update at the Radar Station about Rockette Morton selling off some art due to health issues. The top item is an original DVV painting that was given to RM during the TMR days. No price listed as it says to inquire to RM email address but may be a good opportunity if anybody's been looking for an original from Don. I can imagine it would be 5 figures though :faint:

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I was able to purchase an original Canadian vinyl version of Strictly Personal. I bought it for 30 bucks Cdn in a local shop. I knew my chances of seeing it locally again was nil. A solid VG+ all around. The jacket has very little wear. The vinyl has a couple of non audible marks. I love this album however the effects that were added kind of detract from the tunes. But, I still love this album.

Pants Party and Scope J like this.
  8. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Just in case nobody else has posted this, here's an uncensored version.
    I've never seen this movie so I can't verify it's authenticity as it's slightly different from my 45.

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Sounds like somebody Frankensteined in just the original lines heard in the movie that weren't on the record (with lesser sound quality) over the released version.

Platterpus likes this.
  10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

:agree:

11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I don't believe a 45 rpm was ever cut for the uncensored version. It was only used in the movie.

12. Recent audio interview with Jeff Cotton:

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  13. vinyl diehard

I tracked down a copy of The Legendary A&M Sessions and love it. Wish it had of been longer!

14. RandelPink

bzfgt and asdf35 like this.
  15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

It's hard for me to make a top 10, though my two faves are easily "Trout Mask Replica" and "Shiny Beast". The former for its hypnotically weird soundscape and variety and the latter for its very tropical sound.

Certainly that was just what A&M had access to in the mid-80s - though if you add the '65-'66 demo recordings on Grow Fins and the 9 Avalon live recordings that came out a few years ago, you can get a pretty decent compilation out of it. It's never been quite clear how much the group actually recorded in the A&M period.

16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I keep two copies of Lick my decals off baby. A 70s version and a recent reissue

vinyl diehard likes this.
  17. vinyl diehard

That's one title I'm still missing.

Sear likes this.
  18. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident

I've seen The Magic Band a couple of times and they are magnificent!

Sear and vinyl diehard like this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Arguably his/their best album!

RandelPink and Sear like this.
  20. RandelPink

I used to put this at the bottom of my list of favorites, but since I've been re-listening several times (A must for TMR also) it's now in my top 3 CB albums. It's amazing how repeated listens can open up your ears to hear and appreciate more.

Trout
    Mirror Man
    Decals

kendo, Blue Note, sharedon and 2 others like this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Safe as milk to me

bzfgt likes this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Man, I hope Rockette is okay. Love that guy man, great player and great guy by most accounts.

vinyl diehard and RandelPink like this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I didn't know there was a TV ad

bzfgt likes this.
  24. RandelPink

Yep, that's Don's directorial debut!

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No Funeral Hill, what the hell were they thinking?!

Blue Note and bzfgt like this.