Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

hypothetical
    Probably Snr...adopted( Gabe Jones kid).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just got back from seeing it in 3D Dolby and all that (after 15 mins you don't notice all that technology anymore and the experience feels just like a regular movie).
    Anyway. I was disappointed when I heard that Captain Marvel was being brought in the save the day in the Avengers saga. The character is unknown to me, having grown up with the original 60s gang of heroes and I just wanted them the thwart Thanos's plan on their own - but I thought I had to see this movie to correctly follow the lead-in to End Game. Over the last few months, I have closed my eyes whenever the trailer appeared so as not to give myself advance clues to the plot (something I do for every film that I know I have to see) - so I went in blank.
    I thought it was a good idea to jump into the character in space, rather than do the whole story of how she got there. That gave the film momentum.
    Jude Law and SLJ excellent (though the clever CGI made him look a little weird). Brie Larson is OK but an edgier character might've been more interesting.
    The all-too-often used soul-searching, leading to the ultimate realisation of one's powers, thing, (à la Matrix) was a yawn.
    I know this is comic book inspired science fiction but I found all the space tech just too easy, just too much (same applies to Tony Stark's ridiculous nano-techn helmets, gadgets and stuff in the other Marvel movies).
    Apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie! Mid-level Marvel and a fun.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thought this was a pretty poor movie. It was like a Star Trek episode. It was just... yuk. Same old cliche tropes, tropes that worked okay in comic books, but is just very tired cinematically. Wasn't convinced by central casting either.

Poor entertainment, imo.

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

What was written on the front page of the newspaper that Stan Lee was reading in the train? I have a feeling it's somehow relevant (or funny), but it went over my head.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The script to a little film called, "Mallrats"!

5th-beatle and rontoon like this.
  6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Wasn't it implied in the Guardians 2 cameo that he's some sort of time-traveling astronaut, and that all of the cameos were meant to be the same person?

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thanks. I just came here to ask: So was this any good? Next film I've scheduled is BlaxxKlansman (I think I spelled that right). I'll dutifully check it out. I was surprized by Infinity Wars. Now that was a comic book!!

8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Wife's a huge Marvel fan and was very disappointed with this one. Thankfully I didn't get dragged to it, she took a g/f.

9. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I really liked it. All those 1990ies references made me feel old and nostalgic. Those "The Future" (Leonard Cohen album) posters on the wall, when hacks the public telephone.

rontoon likes this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Stan Lee had a cameo in MALLRATS at the time of CAPTAIN MARVEL's setting, so Lee is rehearsing his lines to the '90s movie.

According to Kevin Smith, Lee was so frail by the time of this cameo, his CAPTAIN MARVEL lines were flown in from MALLRATS outtakes. Thus, he is hidden by the script until Marvel pulls it down.

For those who complained the Marvel character didn't smile much, her warm smile to Lee should have been a nice gesture. It worked really well for me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. Roland Stone

I felt . . . old? Hurt? That this film was set in some sort of distant past I could distinctly remember. Nine Inch Nails tees, they still sell those, right?

L.P. likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I remember the 60's, the 70's, the 80's, and yeah - the 90's. :D

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I completely missed that reference when I saw the movie. I'm ashamed of myself! :hide:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. vince

A couple of pages ago, I linked Kev's reaction to it!
    So, here it is again!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched that previously - thanks! :wave:

I still can't believe I missed it when I saw the film! :shake:

16. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I liked the movie a lot. Much better than Black Panther, which I thought was very overrated. Can't wait to see her go up against Thanos!

17. Roland Stone

She's in the end of the trailer for ENDGAME.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just hope it's not just setting us up for:

[SCENE]: Stark bent over in ship, gasping out his last breath, when suddenly there is a knock on the glass; he looks up.
    Captain Marvel, shouting through glass: "Hey! You all right in there?"
    Stark: "Wha-?"
    Captain Marvel: "I was just passing by, and saw your ship. Can I give you a ride anywhere...?"[/SCENE]
    :doh: OH! - Sorreee....*SPOILER ALERT*...:whistle:

19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Trouble with megapoweful characters like Captain Marvel and Superman is that audiences never feel they're really in death-threatening danger, and that can reduce the dramatic weight of the story.

Besides, a fight between her and Thanos would be really short. He wouldn't last 30 seconds against her.

20. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I'm not steeped in comic book lore (only watched the movies) but it seems to me that Cap'n Marvel got her mega-lightning ultra-babe powers from one infinity stone, but Thanos got his mad skillz from five (count 'em ... five) infinity stones, so Thanos can still wail on her, right? Something underhand must be afoot otherwise ...

--Geoff

21. Not a bad flick. A perfectly entertaining quest for a bright shiny thing. Nothing deep, but well paced and executed giving it a solid B rating from me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. vince

And, in the end, that's all I want from these movies, anyway.....
    This isn't Shakespeare!

mark renard likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a link to a terrific piece getting into a few details as to how they "de-aged" Samuel L. Jackson for his 1995 character in Captain Marvel...

Samuel L. Jackson's De-Aging on 'Captain Marvel' Cut Shooting in Half

And here's an extraordinary 8-minute behind-the-scenes documentary on the massive amount of visual effects on the film. I figured a bunch of the cat shots were CGI, but I had no idea it was this many...

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

My thought throughout was just what a well-crafted movie it is. No plot holes, very few questions left at the end (why is Yon-Rogg the only white-skinned Kree? y u no blue jude law) and a nice kick-ass ending :D

rontoon likes this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Mar-Vell/Lawson was also white

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.