Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I liked it as well and I agree, it is pretty solid throughout with regards to plot and the actions of the various people.

It's not top tier but very strong second tier in my ratings. Looking at reviews though on Youtube - blimey, some (white middle-aged men) people seem to have a big issue with this film and/or Brie Larson. The hatred and the number of different ways they have tried to attack her.

For the record, probably on this thread, I always thought from day 1 it was really good casting as she fits my idea of the character from the comics. I don't think she was miscast.

I also think she was excellent in this film, she brought real emotion and humour to the role.

My only issue with the script was the end - SPOILERS -where she destroys the ship. Would she really kill all those (I assume) Kree spaceship crew, many of whom were just following orders? Or is that justified to make a point as they were about to destroy the Earth? Marvel is funny like that as the heroes seem to have a 'no killing' type belief apart from when it comes to alien races where it seems to be ok to kill as many as you like (like in the first Avengers).

alan967tiger and rontoon like this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That seemed totally justified considering their attack on NYC.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Interesting to note, that the blame so often falls on middle aged white men?

I wonder if it is possible now days to simply not like someone or what someone said, without using adjectives like "hatred"?

When I heard about a controversy over a simple comment that Brie Larson said, I went and researched to find out the source of the controversy.

My impression was that it was about a simple comment that was about as meaningless as you can get, more of an observation on her part.

Yet these was an "explosion" in the press over this subject.

Note that I comment "in the press" because IMO, the press were the ones the fueled the flame and kept fanning the flames.

The only place that I heard about this is in the press.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

When I saw the attention that was initially being drawn to the cat and the cat's continued appearance in the movie, I figured that something was up with the cat.

The CG work with the cat is excellent!

Vidiot and vince like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Would love where the Avengers go through a time portal and meet up with the sixties Nick Fury ..that would be a eye opener.

Alan G. likes this.
  6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

(Potential spoilers, but it's been a couple weeks now...)

She absorbed her power from the Tesseract/Space Stone, which basically (in theory) gives her the ability to travel from one end of the universe to the other. That's why, in the post-credit sequence, she's able to basically show up instantly after she receives the pager signal (which, presumably, took awhile to get to her, since it was "only" traveling at the speed of light to wherever she was).

Thanos, on the other hand, has all six stones, which allow him nifty tricks like manipulating time and reality, among other things. Captain Marvel won't be able to just come at him with brute force. They're going to have to find some other way to separate him from his powers.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Are you sure his gauntlet is still working? Looked pretty broken to me. And it won't be Captain Marvel that takes him down, that would be too easy.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

very interesting video about some of the nonsense that has been written about the film.

9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Turns out The Internet is full of people who are idiots - and they reinforce each other's idiocy.

In the past you had to be an analysts in the industry before you could speak on the subject AND be taken seriously - and even then if you said things that weren't backed up by evidence then you got a bad reputation and likely lost your job.

Youtube videos are nearly 100% garbage - but kids are watching them ...

And the really bad news: The Children are our future.

ymizike, Jim B. and rontoon like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Yeah, they can easily just go to wherever Thanos is, knock the hell out of him, and job well done, universe avenged.

It's reversing the snap that's the hard part.

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Exactly!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They just need to get the time gem/stone and go back in time.

It remains to be seen what the challenge in getting the time stone will be.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Don't forget that Dr. Strange cast a spell on the Time Stone which will surely come into play in Endgame.

Luke The Drifter, Vidiot and The Hud like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's fairly certain that Endgame will involve time-travel, and the leaks have suggested several trips through time and alternate realities.

Ooooh! Say no more!

I wonder who's powerful enough to knock the hell out of Thanos? Wow, you'd have to be, I dunno, the size of the HULK or something to do that... :whistle:

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hello Fantastic Four, X-Men. :)

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's a fantastic article by VFX expert Mike Seymour on how they did the de-aging for Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg in Captain Marvel:

Captain Marvel De-Aging by LolaVFX

Short version: it's all done as painstaking composites in Flame and Nuke. Basically, it's frame-by-frame animation done by skilled artists -- it's not just a single program or some "magic" process. Here's a close-up of the real-life Gregg with dots on his face giving the VFX team a reference on how his face moved in the scene prior to "Youthening" by the Lola artists:

[​IMG]

While I still didn't like the film that much, the more I think about it, the more in awe I am at the visual effects work. I'm inclined to go see it again just to pay closer attention to Samuel L. Jackson and the fact that he's a 70-year-old actor playing a 40-year-old VFX character.

17. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

HULK SMASH PUNY PURPLE MAN!

;)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Just a big ol' cartoon pile-up of every remaining Avenger taking on Thanos. Like the Titan fight but dumber.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Damn! Needed a spoiler alert... :eek:

Exit Flagger and David Campbell like this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Thanos beats the Hulk really easily at the start of IW without even needing the Gauntlet. As a Titan he's stronger than the Hulk on his own.

pdenny, BeatleJWOL and rontoon like this.
  21. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Saw Captain Marvel for the second time over the weekend (admittedly for free this time) and enjoyed it just as much. What a fun movie. It's not perfect - some of the sappier "inspirational" dialogue between Carol and Maria still seemed forced to me - but I think it's actually better than Black Panther and on par with Thor:Ragnarok as far as recent MCU movies go.

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Somebody give us a heads-up when the Chase Calendar says it's "National Talk Like Hulk Day", m'kay? I don't wanna miss the morning visit to the Starbucks...

David Campbell and rontoon like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would go along with that assessment.

BTW, here's an interesting list from Buzzfeed on 23 "Easter Eggs" in the movie that I suspect few people caught the first time. I think the best one is back in Captain America: Winter Soldier, Nick Fury said, "the last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Which makes the events of Captain Marvel a little weirder...

23 "Captain Marvel" Details That'll Make You Say, "How Did I Not Notice That?!"

24. Time travel. Just as long as Haley Attwell is included :tiphat:

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wouldn't it be awful to find out, in order to purchase all that Fox property, they have to give her to them in trade...? :yikes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.