Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Civil War was enjoyable for what it was,but it wasn't a Captain America movie in the way Winter Soldier (which is my personal fave of that trilogy) was. It was basically Avengers 3 and should have been sold as such. Plus it was hugely over hyped. The only function that movie served was just setting up Infinity War and introducing Spidey 3.0. I wanted to see a real honest to God follow up to Winter Soldier. So that's where my disapointment lies. It's not a bad film but the biggest let down for me personally.

Ragnarok IMO to steal a phrase from Vidiot, was haarrable. I know im in the minority here on that one. It made a crap ton of money and everybody seemed to like it. On it's own merits its entertaining in a turn your brain off kind of way, but it's biggest sin and why I dislike it so much is that aside from Odin's death, it literally takes nothing that happens seriously. At all.

I understand not going too dark or grim... nothing wrong with humor, But the film is basically about the end of Asgard and the fall of Gods. A story that has on the surface has huge stakes and should feel epic and big with some sense of drama and a feeling our hero and his friends are in deep ****... And instead we are treated to anus jokes.

Its like they took a Guardians of the Galaxy script, ripped out it's earnest beating heart ( which is why those two films have worked so well, particularly the first one) swapped out characters and slapped a Thor logo on it. Thor acts more like Starlord than the guy from the other Thor and Avengers appearances and even Hulk/Banner are off. The only character to feel true to the previous films is Loki, but even there are times where he felt off.

The whole film feels like Marvel was trying to conter program to Snyder's Justice League by making a candy colored over the top farce that pandered to what would make the most money at the expense of telling a good story with stakes and drama and any pretense of at least attempting to continue or conclude the story began in the first Thor. As much as I dislike The Dark World, at least it felt like a Thor movie. A mediocre and pointless Thor movie, but a Thor movie none the less. Ragnarok wasn't even a Thor movie, but a blatant Guardians of the Galaxy rip off sans the emotional underpinning of those movies that grounded them. I know basically all of these movies are deep down,blatant cash grabs,but Ragnarok doesn't attempt to even hide it.

It's telling that Infinity War does more in two scenes (the opening and the scene between Thor and Rocket later on) to make you feel the enormity and sadness of what occurred to Asgard and Thor's people in Ragnarok than that film itself. It was a missed opportunity. Ragnarok could have been great. All the ingredients were there...and for me it just comes out all wrong.

But again...it made a ton of money,so I guess it worked. I know I'm in the minority. I liked (and still like) Man of Steel and Batman v Superman ultimate cut and prefer both of those to Ragnarok in spite of the issues those movies have, so there's that.

Maybe my feelings will change when I rewatch Ragnarok in a couple weeks. I'm currently doing an MCU rewatch in continuity order counting down to Endgame. We will see.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This just sounds unfair whenever I hear it. These are film adaptations of another art form. Do you think comic books are blatant cash grabs too?

SandAndGlass and rontoon like this.
  4. David Campbell

Perhaps I worded it wrong, but the primary function of these movies for the studio is to make a ton of money. That's why after the original Superman and Batman movies every studio decided to jump on the band wagon And theres nothing wrong with that on it's own. Lets be honest,Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy aside,these are not high art. There are some comics that approach high art and there are some superhero movies that approach such,but by and large they are popcorn entertainment designed to pull in big ticket sales. Nothing wrong with that and by and large Marvel has mastered that aspect well.

It just felt like with Ragnarok, instead of asking themselves " ok, The Dark World didn't quite work. What can we do better and how can we tell a compelling story that makes sense for what we've previously established and how to conclude Thor's initial arc going into Infinity War?" The people in charge asked themselves " how can we beat Justice League (which at the time everyone thought would be the movie to beat that fall prior to The last Jedi) at the box office and pander as much as we can to the target audience?" , then proceeded to make a checklist based off focus groups and made a movie to tick off each box and maximise profits, good storytelling that fits with the already established characters and lore be damned.

However, its just my opinion. I understand I am in the minority on Ragnarok. I'm glad people liked it, and I'm glad it's success probably means we will see the character of Thor stick around a bit more after we lose Tony and Steve. It just didn't work for me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Just got back, I thought it was a pretty good flick overall.

vince and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I was thinking about getting this for nieces. They force us to watch the previews over and over.

One detail I didn't catch the first couple dozen times I saw the trailers: the word "hero" gets used just as Marvel clobbers the smiling old woman on the bus. Of course, the preview audience doesn't yet know she's actually a Skrull, so it's just Marvel beating up a random senior on public transportation. What a hero! It's funny when you watch for it.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Finally got around to seeing this last week. It was alright, by no means a top tier Marvel movie. The best parts were the Stan Lee tributes!

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love it! watched it a second time...

rontoon and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought your take was pretty spot-on myself. I've "assigned" myself to catch Ragnarok tonight before preceeding on to Marvel films I haven't availed myself to yet. I saw it the first time with a couple of "fans" who were really more like people who read-up on their films ahead of time, and tend to telegraph to their buddies, why "they're supposed to like it" or not. Thanks for reminding me why I didn't drink that Kool-Aid the first time around.

But that said, I full-well expect to enjoy this "Captain Marvel"/"Mar-Vell"/"Carol Danvers" film...so long as I resign myself to not expecting anything "Starlinesque" in it, which is where my interest here still lies anyway.

See, there are facets of Marvel that "know" who these charactars are, and why older fans have an affinity with them...and then there are facets of Marvel that "know" a percentage of their consumer base have, and always will be, Marvel zombies.

12. David Campbell

Captain Marvel was perfectly fine. Not great by any means but it was not the train wreck or SJW screed the loud YouTube detractors and blogosphere would lead you to believe. It was a fun time at the movies.

I will also say that I actually sort of enjoyed Raganarok more this rewatch before I went to see Endgame. I still think it was a bit off the rails as far as being a credible follow up to the previous Thor films and was more Guardians of the Galaxy inspired than anything,but on its own it's a pretty fun movie and I understand given how dark Infinity War was going to be, why they leaned so far into comedy.

Still, overall I still think Ragnarok could have been so much more than what we ultimately got. I just hope that for Thor IV we get back to the more bad ass Thor.

rontoon likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Have they announced plans for a "Thor IV"? There seemed to be this assumption he might be in the next "GotG" - unsure if anything's been actually announced either way!

PTgraphics likes this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Soooo.....now that Evans & Downey are "retired", I wonder if this makes Hemsworth the highest paid actor in Marvelworld?;)

15. Michael

well now we know the story behind the eye patch! DAMN!

16. Roland Stone

The rumor is that the CAPTAIN MARVEL sequel will also precede ENDGAME, detailing her story in the Kree-Skrull war.

Michael and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bored with Captain Marvel now. Wasn’t quite enraptured in the first place.

18. Roland Stone

I liked that it was something mundane!

In general, I liked that CAPTAIN MARVEL tended to reverse some expected plotlines and details, including Fury's eyepatch and the new take (to longtime comic book readers) on the Skrull-Kree war.

With Captain Marvel and the Guardians-With-Special-Guest-Star-Thor, the MCU seems to be prepared to enter STAR WARS style space opera.

19. Michael

I enjoy the entire franchise...

SandAndGlass and rontoon like this.
  20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Looking forward to getting Captain Marvel on Tuesday and watching it again!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What? As John Lennon said: Captain Marvel shot him right between the eyes?

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

John's version is more romantic...LOL.

23. Michael

looking forward to that!

rontoon likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Finally got my blu-ray. First time seeing it. Overall, I wasn't knocked out by it. Kind of convoluted and hard to follow. I didn't feel any sort of connection with the character (though this might be because she doesn't know herself). Enjoyed the Stan tribute and cameo. Sam Jackson supposed to be a younger man but seemed to lumber around in a way that gave away his age, but cool digital effects. Action sequences were action-y, as expected. Skrull character was the most likeable of the whole bunch. I'll have to watch it again to get a true grip on it, but first reaction is... just okay. Lower tier MCU.

shmuckler and GregM like this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I pretty much agree with eveything you wrote

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.