Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Would that be per person also?
    Agent Coulson features in the trailer [but not alongside Fury], but they will probably have a few scenes together.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there's a lot of "it depends" involved. Reportedly, replacing Paul Walker in Fast & Furious with a CGI replica cost about $30 million -- at least, that was the insurance claim. They did 300 shots, but some of those were just 5 seconds here and 2 seconds there.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The whole point is you can't really expect things to be like they are in that comic. That story is insane, Thanos fights everyone in that - Silver Surfer, Eternity, Galactus, every cosmic being. So I don't really see any need for someone to take Warlock's place as such as the resolution will be quite different. Captain Marvel could just perform some essential but small part of the overall plan to return things to normal.

I think Gunn was intending to introduce Adam Warlock in a much more scaled down way as part of the Guardians/Marvel cosmic universe going forward, but Disney have ruined that with their stupidity.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can dig it, I don't expect the films to follow the comic, I was just curious, as the tease of Adam Warlock didn't really lead to anything (yet), and the Infinity War would have been an ideal place for him to show up, since he figured in to the original story in such a big way.

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

New Trailer and Poster:

[​IMG]

Stormrider77 and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here I thought this was going to be a piece of crap. Apparently, I was wrong. I'm in. (And damn, Samuel L. Jackson looks great with $10M' worth of CGI!)

SandAndGlass, Michael Rose and neo123 like this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It looks like every other Marvel movie. They all just kind of blend together after awhile. It's all one giant CGI party, and all of the Marvel characters are invited.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, I think there's enough unique elements to make it interesting. Feel free to disagree: don't go see it.

Simon A likes this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I won’t. I watched this latest trailer and saw lots of pretty stuff on the screen, but it just looks like more of the same. The MCU movies and other CGI laden movies of their ilk are like a painter's canvas that has had handfuls of paint thrown at it. They’re a mixed mess of CGI and ridiculously over the top, frenetic action sequences. I considered seeing Captain Marvel because it featured a female superhero, but I’m pretty much done with the MCU at this point. I’ve given them a fair chance.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    johnsiddique and Deesky like this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Again I have to say I'm getting nothing off of this actress. Infinity War is the only one of the MCU movies that I've seen in the theater but while I skipped Ant Man and the WASP in theatres I remained spoiler free until I saw it on DVD. This Captain Marvel movie is one I'll go ahead and listen to spoiler reviews and podcasts because it seems totally uninteresting to me; I'll see it once it's on DVD and my library gets it but that's it.

These MCU movies are all at least watchable but the even the weakest of them stay afloat because of how good a job they've done of casting. I don't think I've ever seen a Brie Larson movie and nothing in these trailers makes me want to. It'll make a mint though because the people that like it will see it five times and the people that hate it will see it three times.

11. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I saw the new exclusive airing of the trailer during the Monday Night Football game, and to be honest...meh.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That's precisely what I said.
    "And I have never crawled into the mud by stating that a forum member looks like a 'jerk.'"

But it's a distinction without much of a difference, and more than a tad hypocritical, as Vidiot has been guilty, on multiple occasions, of doing what he attacked me for doing. But it's okay to "threadcrap," as he calls it, as long as he's the one doing it.

It's interesting. This is exactly the point that Bill Maher made about comic book and comic book movie fans. You make one relatively benign comment about comic books or comic book movies, and fans have a complete meltdown.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’m on the fence about the movie. I’ve not been too disappointed with the Marvel movies yet. I thought Black Panther was kinda boring but not terrible by any means. I’ve wasted more money on stupid things before, 2 hrs in a theater with a big tub of popcorn and a huge coke isn’t that bad.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Fury should have a film of his own.
    He still has both eyes unblemished in this one. It would be interesting to see his story and how his bad eye became so.
    But to try and go back 30 years with this expensive de-aging technology would make it improbable.
    I suppose if they are desperate enough they could just recast it.

15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I wasn't all that blown away by the trailers released thus far, but I'm still going to see it though. And was the with her tag transitioning into a hero line really necessary? There have been issues with Captain Marvel being riddled with SJW pandering but I will not raise that issue any further in here. In light of some of the complaints, I still hope this will be a good film.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I feel the same. I've enjoyed the Marvel stuff for the most part, but there is a sameness that creeped in and is wearing thin. The formula was great, but I'm ready for something else. Watched "Ant Man & The Wasp" recently, and halfway through I was ready for it to be over. Still had some decent parts, but I'm not excited about "Captain Marvel" at all. I really liked how Infinity War ended, though knowing they'll just wipe it out with a new hero and some time travel takes any oomph out of it. The overstuffed casts could use a harsh culling, at least for awhile. Actually my favorite part of AM&TW was the pose credit scene that tied it in to the end of Infinity War.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The movie will probably be fine, and perhaps one of Marvel Studio's better franchise features. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it unless someone drops the ball, which is unlikely given Marvel's track record.

My issue with Captain Marvel has to do with franchise usurping, not how this version of the character has changed from it's inception as part of the Marvel universe. My concept of Captain Marvel is bound to it's original creator C. C. Beck and Fawcett publications. The innocence of a teenager, Billy Batson, magically given super powers by an ancient to protect the world from evil will always be the original. THAT character is Captain Marvel, not the D.C. branded SHAZAM! which completely ignores the character's history.

Of coarse, now we're getting into the area of courtroom drama, licensed properties, product branding and marketing which have less to do with art and original concepts than sales and corporate identity.

So, am I happy about Marvel Studios introducing a new starring female super hero who kicks butt? YES! Will I shrug, leave my historical perspective at the ticket booth and just try to enjoy the movie? Probably. Am I happy about the devolving of a classic character into a corporate pawn? Absolutely NOT!

:cheers:
    Cat

Alan G. likes this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

"Nobody ever dies for real" is a staple of the genre and not likely to go anywhere as long as comic books are being adapted.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sure, I know that. But how cool and brave would it be if they killed some characters for real and actually left them dead? At least until the next re-boot 10 or ore years later when an entirely new cast starts over. I think that would be awesome.

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Is the general MCU storyline drawn from the Thanos/Adam Warlock story that jumped around a buncha comics in the late 70s? IIRC, that story was concluded confusingly (for fans in those newstand days) but convincingly (as a piece of space opera) across two irregular "Annual" issues. In the comics, an overmatched Spider-Man smashed the soul gem, releasing Adam Warlock to kill Thanos.

It was the best thing I'd read in comic books, although I thought most of the Adam Warlock story preceding that spectacular conclusion was hopelessly confused and preachy.

jpelg likes this.
  21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Should be a good flick. Think it’s a given she will be in End Game.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Show me where I called you a jerk anywhere on this forum. It's rare that I disintegrate into personal animosity. But my finger is poised on the "ignore" button.

All I said was, I think it's a little early to judge the Captain Marvel movie, since it's still six months away from release and all we have is a 3-minute trailer. The trailer surprised me and looked a lot better than I was expecting... and I had low expectations. I hope it's good and does well, because that's good for fans, good for the mass audience, good for theaters, and good for the studio.

Marvel is at a crossroads and they're going to have to go in some new directions, so from a creative point of view they have some real challenges in the years ahead. Out of the 20 Marvel Cinematic Universe films released so far, none of them have bombed and I'd say nine were massive successes, making over $900 million. That's a huge phenomena from any point of view. I like some of them better than others, but I do confess that they're in danger of hitting a "superhero burnout" factor where the audience gets tired of the same old crap. Can they keep it going? I hope they can, but ten years is a long time to keep juggling those balls up in the air.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

Yeah, I think that's the worst-kept secret in Hollywood at the moment. As always, the moment you introduce magic and/or time-travel into a plotline, the problem is that now, none of the characters has to die. BTW, word is that Avengers: End Game could be 3 hours long, which is a long, long film. And I think it may not make a lot of sense to audience members who didn't see Captain Marvel. There's always the danger of confusing the mass audience who may not be familiar with the entire Marvel entourage.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The post in which you stated that my recent posts add nothing to the discussion other than to make me look like a jerk has been deleted and rightfully so. But the clear evidence that you did use that word can be found upthread in my previous post. I quoted another member who stated as much. That member’s post has been deleted as well, but my post with the quote remains. Here it is.

MekkaGodzilla said:
    Vidiot NEVER called you a jerk.

He just said you look like one.

But this was four days ago. I don’t why you’re dredging this up now. I thought we’d moved on.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, two new ignored people on my list in one day! That's a record for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Has there ever been a initial theatrical release of 2 different edits/versions?
    It would be a way to milk fans of more money by having the usual 2 hour version alongside a 3 hour cut. I would imagine with this ploy it would smash the $2 Billion barrier.
    But no doubt the studio would come under major criticism ...…………. and i'm not sure this story/film would be comprehensible in a 2 hour version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.