Car audio getting better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Time Is On My Side, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I thought the new Genesis sedans supposed to have excellent audio system.

2. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

My 2012 Genesis 4.6 sedan has a pretty kick azz Lexicon surround system.

3. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

Most manufactures have partnered up with at least one big brand to do the audio but it's a crap shoot to model to model of car. For ex. my Uber driver that I sometimes take to work has a Toyota Minivan that is JBL Synthesis enabled, but it defintely does not even touch JBL Synthesis speaker sound. Compare that to a top of the line Lexus sedan I rode in 5 or 6 years ago... my mind still reels in shock when I remember how good that system sounded.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My 2012 Range Rover has the standard 710 watt Harman/ kardon system with a 6 CD changer and connections for portable audio devices. Lots of speakers-14? maybe? Sounds great. I don’t like the lack of CD players in many new vehicles. I love to load up the changer for long trips and get excellent sound quality. As we know satellite radio has choice but lousy sound quality.

clhboa and Xabby like this.
  5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

At least in my 2013 BMW with comfort access, it will read wav files from USB drive.

6. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

Almost every OEM high end audio system in a car is made my Harman International (now Harman, A Samsung Company).
    JBL, Harman/Kardon, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Infinity... they are all from Harman.

7. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Wife has a 2016 Ford Edge. Sound is pretty good in it. I just bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado. The sound in it is the best I have ever had in a vehicle

8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

In order to get the system I want (Meridian) in a car, I'm going to need to buy Jaguar :).

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Just traded the wife's Range Rover Sport. The Meridian in it was nothing special. I'll take the Harmon built (regardless of what name it says on the dash) system in any of my Mopars (Charger Hellcat, Jeep GC, Ram2500) over what the RR had any day. Although to be honest, all of them are pretty loud vehicles.

10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Conversely, my JBL (UK, Harman US) sourced audio needs some serious smiley faced adjustment to sound passable, the mids are far too screechy. (You would think that in a car it would be easier to tune up a decent audio system).

11. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a '16 Toyota Camry SE. The sound system is just okay. I like that it has Bluetooth.

pocofan likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

The factory Kicker system in my Challenger never sounded great, I replaced it completely with a Pioneer/JL/Memphis system and after tow tried from two shops, never got it to be very good. One other shop told me that they had had no success getting great sound in a Challenger. Fortunately, Rarely listening to music in that car anyway! :D

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have a 2016 Jaguar XF with the 825 watt Meridian system. It's good, but I had to do a work around to play my FLAC files. I don't understand why a system that is considered "high end" would choose not to play files that bring out the best in the music?

sound chaser likes this.
  14. BayouTiger

Cars and formats are always screwy. I was able to play 256AAC in the wife's 2015 RR, but MP3 always seemed to load, index, and generally perform faster. I generally keep an extra copy of my collection in 320MP3 just for the cars, though I usually just stick an old ipod in them most of the the time, or use BT from the phone. FLAC is not nearly as ubiquitous as many would think.

500Homeruns likes this.
  15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

When I decided to retire my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with 240K miles on it. I purchased a 2017 Jeep GC.

I always try to upgrade to the best available sound system, as I spend close to 2 hrs a day commuting back and forth to work and do most of my music listening in the Jeep.

Jeep offers a 19 speaker w/ 10" subwoofer Harmon Kardon system, which I demoed and sounded excellent, but only in the Overland and above models. I was going to go for an Overland, just to get the upgraded HK System, but I did not want the standard air suspension as I have read there can be issues with them that owners reported they could never get fixed right.

I ended up settling for the Limited model with an upgraded Alpine 9 speaker w/ subwoofer which IMO sounds pretty good but certainly not audiophile quality. This is my 4th Jeep GC since the first model year in 1993 and can honestly say the sound systems have improved with each of the 4 Jeeps I have owned.

16. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

17. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Every car that has pulled up next to me sounds like a constipated donkey trying to take a poopy. The day cars stop touching the road, it may get better, until then spending $2K to "upgrade" a car stereo at the dealer is burning cash.

19. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Aiii

Catcher10 likes this.
  20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

21. BayouTiger

The wife's MB ML550 had a Bose system, certainly nothing special, but I have heard some that seemed OK.

22. Mobs

Mobs Forum Resident

My 2019 MB C Class has a wonderful Burmeister system. Sounds great even with the top down.

23. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

i've got a 2017 GTI with the base sound system, and it sounds pretty good to me. I don't really have high expectations for car audio, but the GTI is MILES better than the upgraded systems I had in my old 1998 M3 or even older 944 turbo.

24. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I recently got a 2017 Honda Accord (Touring V6). It has the "premium" sound system that Honda offered at the time. I think it sounds great but I am curious who manufactured the speakers, etc.

Anyone know?

25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The basic stereo in my 2014 Challenger isn't that great but at moderate volume it works out alright. I usually am listening to Sirius in it anyway.

BayouTiger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.