Cardigans vinyl remasters coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fortysomething, Dec 17, 2018.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I could have preordered and already got these all today, but instead I will wait for the reviews of the pressings and how they sound.
    So, then I will make my decision if I will buy these. But the first @Porkpie and others who are soon receiving these, let us know how do they sound?

2. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

First Band on the Moon was waiting for me when I got home from work and I totally agree with you. The packaging is phenomenal despite no poly lined sleeve and the presence of little white paper specks on the vinyl. After a quick cleaning I’m listening to side one and it sounds freakin’ amazing!! Can’t wait to get Emerdale, Life, and Grand Turismo from Amazon UK. Hopefully they arrive well before the expected date of 2/15.

Porkpie and Krzych like this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m currently finishing FBOTM. Sounds great and fault free!

landerstnkb likes this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Little details like this are really cool

[​IMG]

Now playing Gran Turismo.

Parkertown and landerstnkb like this.
  5. chromewaves

chromewaves Forum Resident

I am spinning Long Gone Before Daylight right now and it sounds fantastic. At this quality I may grab some more.

Krzych and Porkpie like this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve played First Band, Gran Turismo and Long Gone and now on to Super Extra Gravity. They all sound great, quality pressings and look awesome. They really knocked it out of the park with this reissue series.

I wasn’t going to go for the first two albums as I played the UK hybrid version to death when I was a student but listening to these albums and knowing the quality will be there, I’m very tempted.

[​IMG]

I hope they follow these up with a b-sides compilation like they did on CD a few years back. In particular I love the b-sides/bonus tracks for Super Extra Gravity.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha, seems that after your bad luck with the Kate Bush reissues you finally seem to have had a bit of good fortune!

Good to see these reviews. Still I'm on the fence if I need the first two and "Super Extra Gravity". I've got the 1995 hybrid "Life" and am not really familiar with "SEG". What say you?

Porkpie likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I thought Amazon was going to blacklist me after the number of times I had to return 50WFS. In the end I got of her albums without fault except that last one. Don’t really need to worry about til next winter now.

I’m debating the first two like you because I’m used to listening to Life with the Emmerdale singles on it. So if you go for one you need to go for the other one. I really like SEG, it’s probably closest to Gran Turismo in terms of sound. I say, stream/dl it first and if you like it, get it.

landerstnkb and Neonbeam like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Hot damn, looks like "Gran Turismo" is sold out in every store I visit! Grabbed "Super Extra Gravity" because for 19€ I thought it would be nice to complete the collection.

landerstnkb likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

"Super Extra Gravity" is a nice package, "Sterling" stamp with handcarved initials next to what I suspect is a GZ matrix. But apart from some paper from the cardboard inner - yes, they keep doing 'em in 2019! :righton: - there are no visible flaws. Won't be able to play it before tomorrow, I'm afraid.

From what I've seen so far, the band was able to avoid the usual pitfalls - blurry, substandard artwork - and even housed these reissues in solid gatefold sleeves. :goodie:

richbdd01 and landerstnkb like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Bump for this and any sound quality comparisons with origina lps/cds.

How do these sound?

Edit: Just realized most probably dont have these yet.

When you guys get them in please let us know how they sound.

Thanks

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Got my copies of Long Gone and Super Extra today. Only listened to Long Gone, but it sounds fantastic. And so nice to see what the front cover should look like rather than those ridiculous, tiny CD covers!

13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I caved and bought Life today and am listening to it now and am like “wtf?!” I played this album loads at uni when it came out (in the UK) and there are songs I’ve never heard before because of the hybrid version that was released at the time. It’s like discovering a whole new record. Really happy with this reissue series.

richbdd01 and landerstnkb like this.
  14. Neonbeam

The artwork is fantastic especially the textured paper.
    Should be three songs that weren't on the hybrid. How is "Closing Time"? That's a ten minute track, right? But I know that if I get the new "Life", I also need to get the debut.

landerstnkb likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I know. I’m now buying the debut, I miss Sick and Tired, that was the single that got me into them in the first place. Not got to “Closing Time” yet.

16. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Got SEG waiting for me at my local record shop, can’t wait to pick it up.
    Played the sacd of Long Gone again today and it sounds really good. Did anyone get a chance to compare it with the new vinyl reissue?

landerstnkb likes this.
  17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Closing Time is on now. It’s great! It’s a duet (I think it’s the only Cardigans duet - besides the Burning Down the House on the Tom Jones record). It’s trippy, but really cool.

Edit: BTW - the reason for the length is there’s a “hidden track” at the end of the record. Guitaf left channel, vocal right channel. Guessing it’s called “Life”. Only about a min long if that. It’s probably on the CD but I don’t remember it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Gran Turismo sounds absolutely awesome! Couldn’t be much better really...

GentleSenator and landerstnkb like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Just played "SEG", wow! Great album, great mastering and pressing! Seriously tempted to get more!

tin ears, DiBosco and landerstnkb like this.
  20. landerstnkb

All you people in the U.K. and Europe are so damn lucky!! We here in North America can only wet our whistles with First Band on the Moon until our imports arrive. I have never listened to Long Gone Before Daylight or Super Extra Gravity but now I am tempted to order them based solely on these great reviews. This is turning out to be an expensive month for vinyl.

Porkpie likes this.
  21. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

:eek: Never heard Long Gone Before Daylight?

For me, this is the greatest album of the 21st century.

Yes, yes, hyperbole much; overstating it etc etc. But, for me, there has been nothing like it this century. Do yourself a favour and get it. *

* I've completely oversold it now and you're going to be "Whaaat, it's OK, but..."

22. landerstnkb

You have sold me on it!! I love Nina’s voice so I don’t know why I won’t like it.

DiBosco likes this.
  23. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

‘Long Gone Before Daylight’ is my favourite Cardigans album. I gave in and have a copy of the new vinyl on the way.

bootbox, DiBosco and landerstnkb like this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

my favorite of theirs. can't wait to pick it up.

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. chromewaves

chromewaves Forum Resident

Their best album and I’m keeping my CD because it has a bonus track on it

hamicle likes this.