Cardigans vinyl remasters coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fortysomething, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I just noticed that Tidal has a few of the remasters - I'll have to listen to these soon.

And I finally caved on the SEG import, care of Amazon UK. It's an old favorite so hopefully worth it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

If you don’t mind me asking, when did you order these, when did they arrive, and who were they shipped by? I ordered Emmerdale, Life, and Gran Turismo from Amazon UK back in early January and Emmerdale and Gran Turismo arrived a few days after the release date. I’m still waiting for Life which is the one album I’m most excited about. The two which I’ve received were sent via Royal Mail and Life for some reason was shipped via Asendia.

3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I placed my order after release date. Feb 3rd. about a day after i got a notice that they shipped. I was surprised because amazon is never that fast. All four arrived together today. UPS brought it. i placed my order as standard global shipping which was 6 pounds.

landerstnkb likes this.
  4. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Life arrived today and it looks and sounds great!! I am so happy with these releases, job well done!!

Gaslight likes this.
  5. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Following up on my post from before itemizing 7digital as a vendor for the lossless 2019 remasters 16bit/44kHz.

Qobuz also has them for $12.99/each; just have to be sure to select the versions that are ©2019:

cardigans for albums to download in True CD Quality (Lossless), 24-Bit Hi-Res

I still lust for the vinyl counterparts, but when it comes to The Cardigans, the music is more important to me than the medium, and I want to take their music w/me on-the-go.

6. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

The guitar (line) towards the end of 'Feathers and Down' on LGBD...ugh. Sends shivers, each and every time.

tin ears, Neonbeam and DiBosco like this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just got "LGBD" - those acronyms, man! - because it was 17,30€ and have to say this is probably the first reissue of a more recent album that makes the original look like the reissue! The artwork on this one is better than on my Stockholm original. Probably has to do with the textured paper stock - that both have - but the new one is sharper and more vibrant. Like being in that room and not looking through a slightly smudgy window. If it does also sound like it looks: Yeah!

I probably should finish the set and get "Gran Turismo" and - here we go again - "FBOTM" as well. I mean... these are some extremely well made reissues. :righton::righton::righton::righton:

pinkrudy, landerstnkb and Porkpie like this.
  8. Neonbeam

The new - I'm going to write it out now - "Long Gone Before Daylight" is gorgeous. It's engaging, nocturnal, goosebump-y (is that actually a word?), it's everything you want this album to be.

I've yet to compare it to the Swedish single disc but taken on it's own, it's fantastic! If you are on the fence: Buy it! You are going to love it!

(The only thing I'm missing are those lovely groove notations: "I hold a record for being patient" // "The little hole in your veins")

sortvinyl and tin ears like this.
  9. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to ‘Long Gone Before Daylight’ a lot recently, it’s a fantastic album. I liked it when it came out but I love it now.

10. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

One thing that strikes me reading through The Cardigans threads is that I must be one of a limited number of people that love Gran Turismo and LGBD equally, but for very different reasons

pinkrudy likes this.
  11. sortvinyl

sortvinyl Forum Resident

I bought my two favourite Cardigans albums: Long Gone Before Daylight and Super Extra Gravity.
    I conjure they sound great and the covers are beautifully printed, I need to get some more poly lined inner, so the stiff inners don't end up hurting the records.
    I wish all re releases had this high standard.

pinkrudy and landerstnkb like this.
  12. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Without a doubt, some of the best quality re-issues I've ever heard on wax.

** But you definitely need to clean these before spinning

13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Just finished Long Gone Before Daylight and it sounded wonderful until I got to side three. Terrible distortion and so bad at one point that the music all but disappeared. Side 4 was better but still had a good bit. My first thought was a very badly pressed record but I have never heard one sound like that, it sounded more like something went wrong in the cutting process since it was consistent for long periods of time but since no one has complained about that thus far it seems unlikely but it sure didn't sound like pressing problems. Not sure. Ordered from Amazon UK and was given a refund, will have to decide if I want to chance buying another copy.

14. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Agreed on both counts. These are some of the dirtiest records I've ever seen fresh out of the package. Thankfully all that white paper speck fluffy stuff on the record came off easily with one cycle through the Loricraft, and what came out the other side is a wonderful sounding pressing of a fantastic album (First Band On The Moon). Hope the others are this good!

15. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident Thread Starter

Guess I'm going to break down and order from Amazon.

None of our local stores seem to have anything other than FBOTM in stock. This may be a case where ordering from Amazon UK will be cheaper, even with shipping, than Amazon US (where Gran Turismo is almost $40).

16. JorgeSmitty

JorgeSmitty Forum Resident

Do what I did...order from Juno: Search Juno

I ordered Gran Turismo and LGBD. Paid 56.42 total including shipping. I received them in about 10 days.

Edit: Sorry. Looks like they are sold out of GT.

17. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just finished listening to GT with my new Hana SL.
    What a great remaster, those sound full and dynamic.
    I guess I'll have to order all the ones I did not purchase to encourage this kind of treatment when albums are remastered...
    Hopefully us buying those will trigger record companies to remaster correctly 90's albums (did someone say oasis?)

pinkrudy and Neonbeam like this.
  18. Neonbeam

After a local store had a campaign I bought the two last missing titles "GT" and "FBOTM" for 15€ each. A no-brainer. Now I've got a full set. Plus: It's amazing to have two copies of "GT" because it's been such a sought after title for easily 15 years now that it's hilarious to finally have it twice. :cheers:

19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I just ordered the 2 I missed, they were already all sold out in France, had to order online from Germany.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

At last I got the full set of 6 remasters and these are just wonderful sounding pressings. Of course I had read the comments from here and other places but still it amazed me.
    For so many years I kept on listening to the great Cardigans on cd but now this is just so different beast, dynamics are present and sound is so full and you can even turn the volume a bit, even the covers are done with care.
    So, it was just what Cardigans deserved these to be, wonderfully done remasters at last. Im fully satisfied with the purchase and if anybody is still thinking, I would strongly recommend in getting these.

GentleSenator and Neonbeam like this.
  21. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

Considering ordering “Life”, which is my favorite of the bunch. Will be nice to have the artist’s originally intended track listing on vinyl at last.

Does “Closing Time” have the full two minutes of silence between it and the hidden track? Or has that been shortened? The back of the album still says the track is 10 minutes.

22. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The silence is there.

23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

What copy of gran turismo sounds better? Of the four i bought,life/emmerdale/first band/gran turismo, I think gran turismo is the slightly less impressive of the 4. I find the bass slightly overpowering. Also not very life-like. A bit cold sounding.

24. Neonbeam

Haven't had time to play the new one. The one I already have was (is) one of the very best releases on the much maligned Simply Vinyl label. :righton:

pinkrudy likes this.
  25. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

These reissues (I'm listening on vinyl) sound exquisite. The one I haven't heard yet is Gran Turismo, but I should have it in my hands soon.

A real pleasure to revisit some of these albums. I've only ever heard these on the old CDs. The music really opens up on these pressings.

Neonbeam likes this.