‘Career Decline’ Indicators

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Dec 16, 2019.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

"We hope you like our new direction."

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

Yes, I remember that, now. He didn’t have an easy 90s: maybe payback for his directionless 80s.

3. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Promising a new record for years and failing to deliver it (Dr. Dre, The Stone Roses, Guns N’ Roses, etc.)

4. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Promotional photos with all band members wearing sunglasses has always indicated this to me for some reason lol

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd be surprised if Bowie was the opener. I don't think NIN would do that, but I can definitely see that young people would have been more interested in NIN than Bowie.

Now Bowie is rightfully regarded as one of the greatest and most influential artists in rock, it's easy to forget how little interest there was in his current music and how little credibility it had between the mid 80s and mid 90s. He was ridiculed a lot by the music press. I was in my mid - late teens in the early 90s and current Bowie wasn't credible to people my age. His old stuff always was.

D.B., goodiesguy, Hiraeth and 4 others like this.
  6. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

“We’re all sober now!”

7. Siegmund

The Earthling album wasn’t liked at all at the time and his excursion into drum n’ Bass was widely ridiculed.

nytechy, phillyal1, Hiraeth and 2 others like this.
  8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

We can safely assume that Dionne Warwick's and Frankie Valli's careers were in decline much sooner though. :agree:

9. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Turning 30

NudieSuitNezHead and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Siegmund

‘Jimmy Page: I’ll be releasing new music next year.’

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I remember laughing at that album. I liked Little Wonder but then the second track was woeful. Having said that, I hated drum n' bass!

Edit:. I've just remembered that how we had the album was that someone I knew had gone to buy the Little Wonder CD single, but was mistakenly given the CD album instead. She felt short changed!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  12. Three words: Psychic Friends Network.

13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

The acoustic blues cover album.

14. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Garth was declining so rapidly he added his own steps. How about change your name, look and genre, and then release the first album as your Greatest Hits. Exhibit A for sales figures don’t equal greatness.
    [​IMG]

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

But I loved it.

supernaut, Jimmy Jam, xeplica and 6 others like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Commercial decline or artistic decline? In some cases, there is a big difference.

17. Disagree about re-recordings. That’s just an attempt to own the copyright to their own masters..
    Touring to celebrate an older album likewise is just fan service.

Chris DeVoe, Comet01, nytechy and 4 others like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought 'Who's that? He looks like a dick!'. Then went to Wikipedia.

There are times when you can judge a book (or CD) by it's cover and you should trust your first impressions. This is both.

19. Siegmund

There is, and the points are weighted towards ‘commercial decline’. If an artist is running short of an income stream, they don’t have the luxury of making ‘artistic decisions’. Unless they’re Lous Reed (and even then....)

20. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

If you release a Christmas album you were never to be taken seriously in the first place.

mtracy64, PyroMessiah and Vinny123 like this.
  21. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

I'm (half) serious about this by the way. IMO most rock/pop artists (with some obvious exceptions, like Leonard Cohen) do their best work before they turn 30. Look at their album ratings (and sales, indicative but not definitive). I use it as a rule of thumb, to encourage myself to listen to newer artists rather continuing to buy the latest releases from artists I used to like which, while okay, aren't as good, even if each new release is billed as 'a real return to form'. I can't listen to everything, so I think I'm better off trying to find something new that's good, rather than settling for okay.

On a similar subject, there's an interesting paper on the subject of creativity in music and age on the NBER website: Innovators: Songwriters

nytechy likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The thing with re-recording hits for a new label is that usually when an artist leaves the label their biggest successes were on, that career decline is well underway.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  23. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Christmas albums...

Is it a matter of career decline or jumping the shark? Or maybe they are the same thing.

Scott

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

In was fine in the 1950s!

Dusty_Sommers, action pact and MielR like this.
  25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

It certainly wasn't writer's block anyway. Bowie was consistently putting out one album a year in that era, and Pinups wasn't one of those. It was an extra album released midway between two album which were themselves about a year apart.

Ferry did solo covers albums while Roxy Music were active since they got all his originals. Sure some writers are prolific enough to write two full albums of originals per year, but its pretty rare. He did cheat a bit though, in sometimes putting Roxy Music "covers" on the b-sides of his singles, to get some publishing money for himself on solo singles sales.

phillyal1 and Man at C&A like this.