‘Career Decline’ Indicators

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Creating huge spectacles for the press that decry your current label and claim they are holding your career and ability to produce music hostage (Taylor Swift and Prince; as problematic as their issues with their respective labels were, there is no denying that they lashed out at times when they were both seen as being on the wane).

Canceling a world tour at the 11th hour after desperately trying to get asses in seats via BoGo deals (Chance the Rapper)

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think overall, Bryan Ferry could be my favourite artist for cover versions. The Byrds my favourite band for them. I even like Bryan Ferry covering himself with those Roxy Music ones you mention. Very shrewd thinking from him.

jo66hn and DHamilton like this.
  3. Or wearing bad hairpiece.

4. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Kiss and tell memoirs

5. This one begs to differ...

[​IMG]

6. Not necessarily.

7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Some artists might say, well if I'm not getting rich anymore I might as well make the music I want to make, and that usually is more artistic.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Of course not, but usually. It's not often labels want to let successful artists go and unless they are being ripped off, artists don't generally want to leave a label that's made them big. They sometimes get vanity labels like Maverick and Paisley Park, but it's still Warner's really.

Neil Young may have been cantankerous and deliberately have given Geffen bad albums, but his last couple on Reprise before that weren't exactly smash hits.

9. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

"I mean, we're really sounding like a band on this one"

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Re-recording your hits with an orchestra. This has been particularly successful for the literally dead over the last few years, including Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison, but has also been attempted by the artistically dead, like Metallica.

11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Feels like the whole industry and (popular) culture generally are in decline.

See also: Hollywood.

EG.

12. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Touring to celebrate the 30th anniversary of an album two years after the 30th anniversary has already passed.

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My red flags for concern were always....

1. Cut long hair off.
    2. Added keyboards (we're expanding our sound).
    3. Recently getting out of rehab.

Back in the day any combo of these was usually not a good sign for the new album.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This reminds me of two things. The first is that I've had a couple conversations recently with people wishing Talking Heads would reform and tour (something I'd not want to see). The second was an interview I read with Elton John (sorry, didn't save the link) where he says he doesn't enjoy touring as much anymore, because the audience aren't interested in new music, they only want the hits.

Which leads me to the conclusion that actually, it's the audience that's changed. There seems to be an awful lot of people who want to either relive their past, or want to experience something great they missed from another era. I mean, look at live shows today - all choreographed, ridiculous light shows, and ticket prices that make you wallet bleed. Man... I prefer the old days where you went to local venue and caught big acts in smaller settings - playing a blend of new and old......

There's also the "no-one makes any money from record sales anymore, the money is in touring" thing, which frankly makes me gag. That might be great when you're in your 20's, but the classic artists aren't robots. Time waits for no man (as they say). Robert Plant today can't do the Robert Plant of the 1970's. Elton John can't sound the same, and so on.

The one band that has hit every damn red flag is Jethro Tull. Hell, Anderson can't sing all the songs anymore, so he does parts of songs, with the rest sung by a young guy. Or worse - as Kate Bush did for a segment of her concerts - show a video of someone singing (even if, in Kates case, it was Kate herself). Just horrendous. Thick as a Brick 2 - what the hell was all that about?!?!?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    D.B., PyroMessiah, Snefuk and 6 others like this.
  15. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

You make a good and valid point here about the audience. It’s rare where the audience changes with the artist. Just look at this forum in general. You’d think the Beatles and Stones, and all the way through into 80’s stuff, was when the only good music came out. It seems more often than not the artists grow, or at least attempt to do so, while the audience remains locked into one time-zone musically.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I wonder if artists ARE actually making more money from touring, to compensate from the shortfall from record sales?

We’re told this is why ticket prices have shot up - but is it true? It’s probably more expensive to tour now, because of greater health and safety requirements, etc. An industry insider recently told me that what tends to happen is that the artist specifies how much they need to make on a tour and then management looks into how practicable that is before coming back to them, usually with disappointing news.

17. Siegmund

I remember when Rush did the first two, just after they’d gone really mega.

51IS, Comet01 and clhboa like this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Are Simple Minds still around? That's the real sign of career decline: thinking you have already disbanded.

bekayne, Dudley Morris and IanM007 like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Any time a band who used to write their own songs brings in outside writers.

20. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I agree.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

:D

You know, I was reminded of this while reading another thread today. The thread was about Jethro Tull, and in particular the Under Wraps album. Under Wraps has issues due to electronic drums - but the number of people who think the writing isn't up to snuff just amazes me. The albums great! However, Tull had a run in the 70's, and the way it's often told, everything else is "Meh". Madness I tell you.

I might have passed it by if I didn't then read an Aerosmith thread where people were saying the first four Aerosmith albums were the best. After that, I came upon a thread on Graham Parker, with talk of his new song (which I don't really like - but it's not important in this context). Someone stated that they didn't like the new song, so would be playing Stick to Me to cleanse the palette - of all the great albums Parker has done, the reference was to an old live album that hasn't represented what Parker does for multiple decades (not criticizing the poster individually, of course).

Seems to me there are tons of people who are very much locked into a time period for an artist. I don't think we admit that these choices say more about us than it does the music/artist. You could pretty much say it about any artist on the board. The only reason the likes of Led Zep aren't affected to the same degree is because they had a short run, and broke up a long time ago. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  22. Crazysteve

Brittney cut off her hair. But I think the writing was on the wall there from the get-go.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The first warning sign is often when a white guitar band records a ballad with vocal backing from a black gospel choir. Nothing good ever happens after that.

24. Siegmund

Noting like the sound of old people with disposable incomes chasing after their lost youth.

NudieSuitNezHead and carlwm like this.
  25. Crazysteve

It’s devastating to people who treasure sheer artistry to lose an artist early, but it certainly stops time on the artist and keeps them great forever, if they were in fact great. Since time stops for so many listeners as well, almost without question, it becomes a perfect storm of nostalgia and being stuck in time. It’s also a reason for dudes to buy their 7th copy of the same album.