Carole King/TAPESTRY: Original mix SACD is wonderful!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 11, 2004.

1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

It's not. The redbook Legacy CD (with bonus tracks) features the same 1994 remastering that was done for the Ode Collection set. Taken from the original two-track mixdown, you'll know this immediately if you listen on headphones thanks to the copious hiss. :)

2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

What do forum members think of the original CBS CD?

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I checked the Sony Music website for SACD-only of Carole King's Tapestry and found out that the catalog no. is indeed ES 65850.

4. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I grabbed the Stereo version of this a couple of months ago, and have not seen another since- although I have seen the MC version a few times.

This is without a doubt another fine 2 channel release from SONY. Carole is indeed signing right next to me!

There are some REAL gems out there by Sony- you gotta get em while they are still around.

SRV
    BST
    Carole King
    Santana Abraxas

Chris

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Grabbed this little gem earlier this year and when I gave it its' first spin, WOW!

It sounded better than I even hoped for and it was the first time I ever heard Tapestry sound good. The Mastersound gold CD from '95 sounded crappy IMO.

The two bonus tracks although not essential are a nice touch. Good job there Uncle Vic.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Just to confirm - the preferred SACD is the silver one (pictured here), not the "gold" one, correct? (it's easier for me to identify by color rather than trying to read the tiny credits on the back of the CD without my glasses)

Attached Files:

7. John Carsell

That's the right one. :righton:

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks, John. I've been dragging my feet on this one, I'lll keep my eyes open.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

All four in stock over here!

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Anyone have the 4 LP 45rpm Tapestry? If so, have you compared that to the original SACD? Just curious, as I do have the 45s, but I have yet to open it.

11. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Just snagged a copy on ebay have been wanting a copy for a while and this thread gave me the final push..

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm very glad Steve finally got a copy of this SACD. Donno how many times I've talked about this disc, how absolutely amazing it is. Can I gloat??

Told ya. ;)

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

OK - I have the stereo/MCH version of this SACD, and I keep hearing talk of how good the stereo only SACD is, but I am having trouble finding a copy (I haven't tried ebay yet - not so sure I want to).

My question is - How much better is the stereo only SACD vs. the stereo layer on the stereo/MCH SACD. I know the version I have has been re-mixed, but I have also read many times that some people can't hear much difference between the re-mixed stereo SACD and the stereo only SACD.

Is it really worth it for me to search out the stereo only SACD???

14. cvila

cvila Senior Member

I thought that the stereo only version was one of the SACDs that suffered from a polarity-reversed transfer?

15. I purchased a redbook remaster CD this morning. Tons 'o' tape hiss. A bit distracting.

Also I've put a bid on the stereo SACD on eBay. Stay away! :) eBay handle = beasley564.

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

This is another SACD that I own two copies of...both are essential.

17. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I need to see if I can find a copy of the original SACD for this release. But in the meantime, I have another question about Tapestry. I know this was covered in a previous thread about this album but I wanted to be sure. Is this the vinyl pressing of the album that is said to be the best? Just found a very nice copy of this for a couple of bucks.

Attached Files:

18. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I've only recorded vinyl so far, but own a bunch of single layer Sony SACDs I would love to record (including Tapestry) to CD-R for the car. Is the process as simple as substituting my SACD player for the TT and record into CoolEdit - or is there more involved in recording for from SACD?

Feel free to remove this post if it violates rules. Thanks.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Exactly. If you are already accomplished at recording from your turntable, recording your SACDs through analogue outputs is a doddle. Watch the levels though - you would not want to overload the DAC on the sound card.

20. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Thanks Geoff, I'll have to give it a try this weekend.

I'll move the TT to the main system and enjoy some vinyl there and bring the SACD player to the computer and try to record a SACD. Sounds like fun.

21. Guess I won't be getting one anytime soon. :( Wonder if the eBay seller hangs out here or was tipped off, all of a sudden that he has a hot, collectable SACD. He pulled the auction yesterday, sighting an error and has not returned my E-mails. :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4051804873&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:CA:1

:(

22. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

I haven't heard either SACD, but I have the Legacy remaster and it sounds absolutely terrific--full of the breath of life--and it commands my full attention at each listening.

hi_watt likes this.
  23. John Carsell

There shouldn't be tons of hiss. A little bit yes, but this seems to me like this remaster was made from copy tapes and not the originals.

Good luck with your ebay bid. :)

24. markl

markl Senior Member

No, I bet the problem was that it wasn't an SACD, but a regular CD. ebay's new listing software stinks.

25. I dunno. The seller has re-listed the Carole King title as a CD. The auction now has a photo of the CD w/ a yellow Sony Legacy sticker on the outside. The other auction showed a silver SACD.

:confused: