Cartidge questions.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ian, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

I know you guys will be able to help on this. I'm looking to get a new cartridge. The Shure V15VxMR seems to grab my attention, but I'd like to hear what your take is on that model and/or other brands.
    Although I doubt if I'll be able to afford one, but what would be the advantage of a moving coil as opposed to a moving magnet cart?
    I'm not sure if I am going to replace my turntable or not. My old Pioneer PL400 still works like a dream, though it is 22 years old and very susceptible to vibration and I do wonder if the Shure would be wasted on that one. I do like the looks of Music Hall turntables as well (I like the idea of not having to use shims to level it).

My father wants me to take some of his old vinyl and burn them to CD. To that end I am looking at either a Grado or a Stanton. Due to the poor condition of the records I need something that will be able to handle the abuse and I figure either one will suffice.

Your input would be appreciated.
    Thanx.
    Ian.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That Shure cart, according to Steve and everyone else who uses one, it razor flat! It is honest and accurate. Steve says it's all the pros will use, and it's what he uses for transfers.

I have heard a few moving coil carts in recent weeks, and I don't like them. The ones I have heard sound very bright and "euphoric". They sound 3D, though.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I think there is nothing harder in audio these days than selecting a cartridge. They are table/arm dependent and as transducers vary widely in sonic characteristics. It is hard to make general comparisons between a specific MM cartridge and all MC cartridges. The one area where most MCs will better the Shure is in transparency. Most of them are quicker. clearer and and more detailed. No cartriddge is flat. not even the Shure. It is flatter than any other cartridge I know of but even it isn't flat. Further more no stereo in a real room is flat either. synergy between cartridges with the rest of the playback system will be system dependent. and that doesn't even take the cartridge/arm/ table synergy into consideration. I have this feeling I'm not helping..... Oh, Grant mentioned brightness in MCs. It is a problem with most MCs but not all.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My short reply: get the Shure. ;-) I've tried others, but still haven't found anything that can track this well. IMHO, transparency isn't worth a hill of MFSL vinyl when it's accompanied by tracking distortion (which I am very sensitive to). With all the "hot" vinyl I own, and a handful of 45's, the Shure tracks 'em all, especially the inner grooves. Can't say that for the Dynavector I own! Even my cheap Grado out-tracks the Dyna, which is about as compliant as a brick wall. ;-)

If your turntable is vibration-sensitive, Shure's cartridge tends to dampen it somewhat when you use the brush/stabilizer mechanism, and also helps counteract an arm that's perhaps not ideally matched. (I've never heard any degradation from using the stabilizer, having tried it with and without.) I'm using my Shure in a Grace G707II arm...19 years, and still no complaints! And for the other end of the spectrum, I'd had the Shure in a Radio Shlock direct-drive turntable and it worked just about as well. (The arm was a bit heavy, but the stabilizer minimized it.)

5. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Hi Ian,
    You may wish to do a search using V15VxMR as your search parameter. Have a look at Shure separately too.
    You'll find some more useful feedback on the subject.
    Happy hunting.
    John

6. -=Rudy=-

I"m curious to know if the recent V15V's are any better than mine, which was purchased in 1983 or 1984, but has a had a few stylus changes since. (Oops. ;-) ) Actually, the original V15V dind't have a MicroRidge stylus--it had the HyperElliptical. When the MR stylus came out, I bought the appropriate replacement. Noticed a difference!

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I use a Stanton cartridge on my Gemini turntable with great results.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It is said that the newer one is much better, and that the original had many flaws.

9. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I wouldn't worry about the stylus playing beat up records (unless you're talking about shellac 78's, in which case you need a special 78 rpm stylus anyway); just clean it off when you're done.

The Audio Technica ATML-440 is currently widely available for $100 and I think it's a tremendous bargain. Audio Advisor's page:
    http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=AT440ML

It track sibilance almost as well as the Shure!

10. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I've used Ortofon OM-20, Grado Blue, Audio-Technica AT330LP, and the Shure V15VxMR. The Shure wins hands down. Not as much sparkle as the others, but much less distortion, and the stabilizer brush helps it track warped records too. I've got a couple of warped LPs that were impossible to play with the Grado; the arm would simply fly off the record. Not a problem with the Shure.

Many of my records are 12" singles that are cut really hot, so good tracking is a high priority for me. It can handle anything I throw at it, and still sound great.

This cart is frowned upon by the moving-coil crowd, but unless you've got $1000 and a good step-up transformer, there's no need to be concerned about that. :)

11. -=Rudy=-

So THAT's what the stabilizer brush is for! I thought you just taped a couple of quarters to the top of the tone arm. ;-) (I actually know someone who does that with their 45s...I still cringe at the thought!)

The stabilizer does cut down on excess woofer movement on slightly warped vinyl as well. I've always thought, though, that a softer carbon-fiber brush would actually work a little better, rather than the stiffer one they use.

My biggest concern about any cartridge: if it can't track the vinyl I play, it doesn't do me any good. :) (And the lukewarm experience with my own Dynavector certainly doesn't have me running out to get another MC cartridge anyway!) I've had some good comments about vinyl-to-CD transfers I've done. A lot of them never realized that vinyl could sound so good. But then again, back when I put this rig together, the turntable/arm/cartridge system probably cost more than most peoples' entire audio systems!

12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I've only had my V15VxMR for a couple of months, and it replaced a Grado Silver. I haven't had much experience with others so take this with a grain of salt but what I noticed most was the increased detail. With that detail comes a lack of forgiveness. On a clean, well kept or new LP it can be amazing and on a poor LP it will show you every every blemish.

I look back at some of the Lp's that I enjoyed with the Grado vs what was gained with the Shure and wonder why I waited so long.

Rating:
    Grado :) :thumbsup:
    Shure :love: :eek: :love:

13. -=Rudy=-

I really do like the sound of Grado cartridges! I only wish they'd track better. On LPs that aren't as stressful, my Grado does an admirable job until getting to the inner grooves, where it sounds a bit strained at times. I had the same reaction as you did when I got my Shure way back in the 80's. I found myself pulling out LP after LP, not believing it sounded that much improved! I've had nearly 20 years to spoil myself on the sound of it!

Curious: my V15V shipped with quite an impressive setup kit:

1. A set of rubber wedges to stick under the turntable platter;

2. A "protractor" that actually fit the body of the cartridge;

3. A plastic stand-in for the stylus that allowed you to make certain the cartridge was squarely mounted;

4. An assortment of mounting screws and nuts, all plastic, in a vial.

I also remember getting a mail-in coupon for Shure's Audio Obstacle Course LP. Can't recall if it had a small bubble level or not--that may have been from my Dennesen Soundtractor. It was an impressive little kit, though...setup was a breeze, and very accurate.

14. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

The V15 still comes with most of those goodies :)

15. Ian

Well I think my minds made up on this one. After reading your responses and looking at a couple sites I am definitely checking one of these out for myself. Still not sure about the turntable situation (If I end up getting an adjustible rack I may forgo the Music Hall, but I dunno... Tax return time is comin'). Gonna look into a Grado for the "less than perfect" vinyl.

Again thank you for your input. I found it very helpful.
    Ian

16. akshobhyavajra

akshobhyavajra New Member

I've used a Shure V15VxMR for awhile and it's a decent cart for the money. I replaced it with a DV 20 XH, which I find to be more revealing in terms of extracting detail as well as presenting a fuller soundstage and instrument separation. In this instance you're also moving from a 3.5 mV to a 2.5 mV cart, so the phono gain settings need to be adjusted accordingly.

The V15VxMR certainly is a fine cart and worth it's money. If you have an extra couple of hundred bucks I'd opt for a DV, though.

Regards,

~Michael~

17. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Ian,

I have a Music Hall MMF-2.1 and I recommend it highly. It has an excellent tonearm and sounds great for an "entry level" turntable. The only major problem it has is that the supplied Goldring Elan cartridge is pretty bad. However, if you put a Shure V15 on there, it would be a killer combination. I've lusted after that cartridge myself. I have two cartridges that I'm really happy with, an Audio Technica AT-440ML (which really is an incredible bargain) and a Stanton 681eee. The Stanton is used but in excellent condition. I just added a new $29.99 replacement stylus from Radio Shack (with the brush) and it sounds remarkably good. Very full sound, with excellent bass. The AT is a little lacking in that area.

18. Ian

Jeff,

Thanks for the reccomendation. I have been eyeing the MMF 5, but I am going to try to get it without the Goldring cart (can't remember what model) and hopefully knock the price down a little. If not I'll go for the MMF 2.1... Heck I may just go for it anyway. Glass platter and record clamp be damned.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.