Cartridge Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Crush87, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All
    I know these threads pop up constantly, apologies...

I have a Music Hall mmf2.2 table with an AT440MLA cart. Stylus needs replacing but these carts are discontinued now unfortunately. I'm between AT VM95ML or the Ortofon 2M Blue. Would the latter be overkill for my table (which I'm not really looking to upgrade right now)?

Also, what tools do I need to install on my own? In the past I've brought to a hi-fi shop but that's not an option right now.

Open to all suggestions. Thank you!

2. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

First off: Ortofon 2M Blue Versus Audio Technica AT-VM95ML

Listen to the files and decide which you like. The answer is on the same blog a few posts later.
    Having recently done a side-by-side comparison on my Technics, I felt confident which was which (I was right), and it reinforced my decisions that the AT sounds better to my ears, in my system. Look into capacitance before you make a snap decision on which to buy.
    I think the AT sounds better, and it will last quite a bit longer than the Ortofon. Having said that, the Ortofon is still very good, and depending on the rest of your system, it could end up souding better to you. I can sell you mine (less than 20 hours on it) if you still want a 2M Blue. PM me.

Installation requires a protractor (you can print a decent one for free), good light, 20 minutes, and some patience. It is not rocket science :)

waaguirr and Floyd Crazy like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Regardless of price I prefer the Audio Technica, the fact it's a fair bit cheaper than the Ortofon is a bonus.

Schwinnparamount and Floyd Crazy like this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

5. Crush87

Hi there, I actually did this blind test myself on my digital system and preferred the Ortofon, go figure. Curious, why would the AT last longer?

6. Crush87

7. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

the ML stylus has a narrower profile and a different shape that lets it ride lower in the groove and reduces contact between the stylus and the vinyl, ultimately resulting in reduced wear on both the records and the stylus. AT claims a 1000 hr life on the ML, which is close to double that of non ML stylii.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  8. Crush87

Thanks for the explanation @Mmmark

9. Davey

Yes. Of course, for a few bucks more you get a whole new VM540ML cartridge, but that's the way the business works. There are lower cost options, and the VMN40ML isn't an exact replacement, but that's all covered in thread I linked.

Crush87 likes this.
  10. Crush87

Any thoughts how the 540 compares to the 95?

11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Actually, the microline stylus INCREASES the contact area. That spreads out the force over a larger surface, which is why they last longer.

beat_truck likes this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You can put the new VM540ML stylus($199) on your 440 body. It would outperform the VM95ml if you are used to the 440's performance. That's what I'm going to do when my 120e stylus needs replacing.

Stanton56 likes this.
  13. Davey

There's huge threads on both here, and a ton of people use them, probably the two most popular new cartridges around here so lots of comments from users (look for comments from @patient_ot in particular). I haven't used either, so no thoughts from me, I've been only using LOMC carts for a long time.

Crush87 likes this.
  14. Crush87

Thanks. For the extra 50 bucks I think it would be wise to just go for the VM540ML cart, no?

15. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

That is 100% incorrect.

16. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Depends on capacitance. Most people seem to think the improvement is slight, and only under the best circumstances.

17. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  18. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Probably so, but then you will have to install and dial it in again, as opposd to just swapping the sylus and spinning a rcord less than a minute later

Besides, you can look for better deals on styli from reputable ebay sellers in Hong Kong, like 2juki, they often have better deals

19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Sure if it's in your budget. The generators are very similar and both superior to the VM95 line. But folks will tell you the 540ml is for a lighter arm/more compliant. If the 440 has worked well for you you're good to go. The 540 tracks heavier than the 440 at 1.8-2.2g.

20. Crush87

Interesting. So you wouldn't check your alignment if you replace just the stylus?

21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Of course I would but I'm always checking that stuff when I switch cartridges on removable headshells anyway. The 540 stylus probably has the same overhang as the 440 I'm guessing. Alignment is important with a microline stylus though.

22. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

I stand very much corrected, and I apologize for doubting you. It didn't seem intuitively logical, but the information in that document was crystal clear. Thanks for sharing the link.

Coltrane811, MCM_Fan and snorker like this.
  23. Crush87

I saw on another forum someone say regarding the at-vm540ml: "Keep in mind that this cartridge (like most from AT) wants to see a very low capacitance load of 100-200pF"

From the Music Hall mmf 2.2 manual it says: Load Capacitance: 150 – 400pF

So where does that leave me? @Mmmark @MCM_Fan

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Load capacitance on your phono must be adjustable. Adjust it to the lowest position, which is usually 100 pF. You interconnect cables add some capacitance too, so you will have the required minimum of about 150 pF that way.

25. Crush87

How do you adjust capacitance? Sorry for my ignorance? I only know how to adjust alignment and tracking force

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.