Cartridge alignment is driving me insane

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Knicknack, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If this is frustrating you as much as it seems, why not take it to your local dealer and ask them to set it up for you. I did this once when i lived in the uk. The dealer not only did for me but showed me how to do it in the future. I gave him a bottle of wine as a thank you

Leonthepro and Gavinyl like this.
  2. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I struggled with the process using paper and mirrored guides. Then I got the Feikert and some cheap magnified reading glasses from WalMart.

Not my favorite yet but dont dread it and have complete confidence that I can get it right now.

3. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

My method: wiggle it around ‘til it sounds okay.

4. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I would use the overhang gauge first, fine-tune the alignment/secure with a Heybrook protractor (download for free and print it to scale) and complete the process by using a tiny spirit level "bubble" to check the tracking angle is correct.

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The Technics diagram is misleading. Plug the headshell into the overhang gauge, square the cartridge with the top of the headshell, then align the centre of the stylus with the triangle of the gauge (look at it front on and push the headshell down to ensure the stylus is centred.

6. Knicknack

Knicknack Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I think I’ve got it, now all I’m dealing with is inner groove distortion with my Grado Prestige Green1. I’m guessing this is normal with this cartridge and won’t be fixed until I upgrade?

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You might be able to improve things with a test disc and correct vtf/as

8. Knicknack

Knicknack Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I had the cartridge professionally aligned and I still get distortion at times. I’m happy overall though as I feel confident that it’s right now. One day I’ll upgrade to a different cart. Thank you all for your help though. It’s appreciated.

patient_ot and Shak Cohen like this.
  9. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

If it's that much trouble, maybe just buy a cartridge that has a conical/spherical stylus instead?? As the stylus shape is round, precision alignment is not really necessary. It's not really that hard to install a cartridge accurately (I get practically zero IGD/sibilance from my ATS11e elliptical/12xe fine line/12s shibata).
    Also I believe your Technics is 52mm overhang which means you could buy an Ortofon Concorde and use not only PRO S/ DJ S/OM1S etc. stylus, but also high end 10, 20, 30, 40 styli in this plug-and-play format. The 30 is certainly comparable to your AT, if not better/nicer to listen to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.