Cartridge Alignment Protractors: Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

I was once as enthusiastic about printed protractors as you. I tried many different carts on my Pro-ject Perspex. Never, ever got great results from a printed protractor. Then I got the Feickert, and was able to finally align things properly.

SandAndGlass and Gibsonian like this.
  2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

6 in. Digital Caliper

Problem solved. This is also useful for many other things, for $20 its a no brainer.

3. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

Hopefully the printer output will be crisp enough to calibrate to sub-millimeter accuracy.

4. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I just order an Accutrak arc protractor for the specific arms I use. Very easy to use.

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

For me the Conrad Hoffman program and print out gives the exact same results as the Feickert, so I sold the Feickert and bought more music.

John K.

plastico, BrilliantBob and patient_ot like this.
  6. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

The tools are relatively inexpensive if you want to get the best out of that $3500 cartridge.

Daddy Dom likes this.
  7. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Thank you, @patient_ot. Valuable info!

"Arc Template Generator 1.16" * Great personalized protractor (the arc alignment and overhang differ from cartridge to cartridge, from tonearm to tonearm). I just verified my cart is perfectly aligned.

10 minutes to build this true protractor for my TT/cart with zero costs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    patient_ot likes this.
  8. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

All things (comments, advice, caveats, budget, opinions - thanks everyone!) considered, I'm getting inclined towards either:

i) a suitable plastic ruler cartridge calibration gauge (like this one?) or
    ii) a suitable overhang gauge (like this one?)

This is on the assumption I've read somewhere that overhang gauges are good for s-shaped tonearms (which is the case) and provide as good results as rulers.

Question on i), is there a method/ruler that is more suitable for my Technics SL.D303 s-shaped tonearm and my Shure M75ED Type 2?

Question on ii), I can't seem to find an overhang listing the SL-D303 (only SL-D202, SL-1200 and other models). I can't use that does not list the SL-D303, right?

Many thanks!
    Floyd

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have a VPI Classic that came with the stock VPI alignment gauge. But this one gets me so much closer that I never use the stock VPI anymore.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The overhang gauge is suitable for most Technics turntables with an S-shaped arm. I would not buy that protractor (what you call a ruler) mainly because it's probably a Baerwald or Lofgren protractor like 99% of the plastic or mirror type two point protractors that are for sale online. Technics TTs were designed to use a proprietary alignment based on Stevenson, which is what the gauge will give you if you use it properly. There are many threads here and on other boards that explain how to use the Technics overhang gauge.

Re: your Shure cart, it has not been made in decades so I'm going to ask - when was the last time the stylus was replaced?

11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

This! ^ absolutely right. In most cases, the overhang gauge will be sufficient. If it is missing, then look up the overhang spec, and construct one from paper, or plastic. Move the cartridge fore or aft in the slots, and just make sure the cartridge body is parallel to the headshell, and you're set. The Shure M75 ED is an elliptical stylus, so accurate alignment is important but not critical enough to absolutely require a protractor. (always best, but there is a little wiggle room with an elliptical)

Before the setup, inspect the stylus and cantilever. The cantilever should be centered, not leaning to one side. The stylus azimuth must be perpendicular looking from the front. If the stylus does not meet this criteria, it needs to be replaced.

When using a protractor, set the anti-skate to zero, since there are no skating forces on a stationary protractor. Having the anti-skate engaged while lining up will cause the cantilever to bend in toward the spindle... which completely throws off your careful alignment job.

Thirdly after the setup, the cantilever should remain centered while playing a record. Adjust the anti-skate until the cantilever remains perfectly centered. This can be seen easily as the stylus just settles into the groove, and the deflection of the cantilever (if any) will be immediately apparent. Do the anti-skate adjustment on the second band of a record, apprx 20 to 30mm from the rim.

If the cantilever bends outward toward to record edge, apply MORE anti-skate
    If the cantilever bends inward toward the spindle, apply LESS anti-skate

33na3rd and Big Blue like this.
  12. The FRiNgE

Exactly!

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I bought one and it's the best tool I've found.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Second this, having mounted a cartridge multiple times in the last week on headshells for a Technics turntable. That protractor will not do you any favors due to Technics’ unique alignment geometry. I did print a free paper protractor based on the Technics alignment, just to confirm what the gauge gave me, and it’s been right on the arc and square with the null points every time (I agree with what some have said about needing to take measures to print precisely, but since I am not really using mine to align, just for rough confirmation, I think it’s fine for now). So I think you can skip a protractor if you use the gauge and make sure the cartridge is mounted square in the headshell (I use digital calipers to make sure the left and right edges of the cartridge are the same distance from the back of the headshell, then make sure the stylus is still at the right position and that the cantilever appears to actually be straight).

I will say, also, about those ruler-style protractors in general, I own two of them and I’m not sure they are worth having. They can be frustrating to use, and I don’t trust they are that precise because of how you have to move them to reach both null points. If you’re going to use a platter-top protractor, one that stays in place and shows the arc is much better.

15. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

The very best deal is the Turntable Basics. Tune Up Your Turntable With Our Supplies and Advice protractor. It's a point-to-the-pivot* device. It is mirrored (very important) and if used carefully will give exactly the same result as the most expensive ones you can buy. A no-brainer at $20. I have no connection. I use a very similar device no longer available.

*There are many simply ways to make pointing to the pivot very easy.

Tlay and The FRiNgE like this.
  16. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see what you getting at. Distortion not necessarily due to misalignment and rather due to worn stylus.
    Have to confess, I've bought this TT a year ago, came with the Sure cart and am not sure whether the stylus was new or used (facepalm!).
    Guess I also need to get digital microscope to see what the thing looks like.

Anyway: overhang gauge is the way to go. On this, in the meantime, I've checked and I think I'm safe in using the SL-D202, as the overhang is the same looks like being the same 15mm (or those 52mm) showed in the picture.

[​IMG]

patient_ot and The FRiNgE like this.
  17. The FRiNgE

Excellent! An easy to use protractor and deadly accurate! The arc types are also accurate, but the arc does not necessarily agree with the designed arcs of various turntable arms.. ie: slightly different arm lengths and pivot point distances.

18. The FRiNgE

Please see my post on stylus/ cantilever inspection, or simply replace the stylus! :cool::pleased:
    BTW the original stylus is a gem diamond (passes light through it) and superior to all generic replacements. If going with a new stylus, I would go with a Jico, considered to be the highest quality obtainable for your cartridge.

patient_ot and FloydVivino like this.
  19. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

The point-to-the-pivot style protractor has no arc to follow and is dead accurate for ANY arm/cartridge. The mirror helps avoid a parallax error when setting the stylus angle.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'll check this out, seems like a good route for arms that have concealed bearings.

Seafinch likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just get a new stylus. Not all those digital microscopes will work for stylus wear inspection as they vary widely in quality. The classic microscope for inspecting styli is a lab type microscope and if you read the various threads on how to use them to inspect wear, it's not something you are going to learn overnight. Jico makes the highest quality aftermarket styli for old Shure carts, as Shure is no longer in the cart business and your cart is several decades old anyway. You can try NOS, those don't be surprised if you get one with a hardened suspension that is unusable - always a risk with NOS styli that are 30-40+ years old. If you are on a tight budget, check Thakker or Pickupnalden in Europe. They may have an unbranded generic stylus for your cart sourced from Japan or Switzerland. It won't be as good as the Jico stuff, but will be cheaper.

zombiemodernist and The FRiNgE like this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

You nailed it in your Number ii option above.

Some of the recs could end up costing more than your turntable --- the SL-D303 has a 52mm overhang (like most Technics - look at your manual it is in there) -- do your wallet and sanity a favor and buy the $5 Technics overhang gauge on Ebay or Amazon and it will be all you need.

I have a few older Technics (SL-1200's, 1600's, 1700) and it is a known fact the 52mm measurement gets you right where you need to be for Technics. Don't let anyone tell you it is not an accurate measurement. Plus it is easy, don't have to worry about the "scale" if you print an alignment gauge, don't have to wonder why alignment gauge A or guage B give a different result, etc.

Do a little googling on the topic, you'll see the number of folks who opt for the simplistic, inexpensive but more importantly accurate method for the Technics line...... sometimes we can over-complicate things in the vinyl realm -- and alignment tools have their place for some platforms -- but for Technics they did the heavy lifting for you and provided a simple gauge (that works) when they sent you the TT (which probably has long since been lost, but you can buy them still in a 100 different places -- there is a reason they are so popular and so readily available). They work with Technics. Period.

Again, go do a little searching on the topic and believe the 100's of affirmative results........

OldSoul and Big Blue like this.
  23. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Could you point out one of them? I always wanted to use the point to pivot protractor that came with my Nottingham, but I am having difficulty lining up the protractor arrow point to the pivot.

24. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I have Accutrak arc protractors for both my VPI JMW Memorial and a vintage Empire 598. Just ordered one for a Magnapan Unitrac also. Reasonable cost, fast service, good quality and easy to use. No affiliation.

Alan G and Seafinch like this.
  25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Just bought one from http://www.accutrak.us/index.html as the owner sent me a sample PDF to check my current table alignment. It matched perfectly and since I had it professionally setup, was very happy it was correct. I just don't want to pay someone again as I have a pivot point that is impossible to align. These ones do not require a pivot point for alignment.

Alan G and Seafinch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.