Cartridge Alignment - The Technics way SL1200 SL1210

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, Feb 18, 2020.

1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Not that I can tell. It seems that matt thickness makes a difference (I'm using the heavy duty one), and as pointed out earlier, some newer models beyond the MKII seem to change the height numbers in the manual to lesser values than the MKII

2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Right. If you have the thick mat it is around 6mm. The later mats were 2mm. The goal is to have the proper tracing angle/vta. Most of the time, the cartridge being parallel to the LP surface.

3. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Were you still able to use the stock headshell with the Cadenza Blue with the MintLP alignment?

4. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I used the Technics overhang gauge to set up a Shure M97xE cartridge on one of my turntables. After carefully aligning the overhang I checked the set up with the alignment protractor that was supplied with the cart. The contact points were bang on.

Sterling1 likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yes but I added a 1/2mm 1 Gram shim plate to keep the mounting surface of the cartridge parallel with the underside of the headshell. The Cadenza cartridges have a raised ridge top center of the cartridge to act as a means to adjust azimuth. The shim plate keeps that ridge from falling into a recess on the underside of the Technics headshell.

6. avanti1960

yes, the first half of the side sounds better with the mint alignment, the rest of the side sounds identical mint vs stock.
    my cartridge's stylus is revealing and demands exact alignment. the distortion using the technics gauge was slight but noticeable.

7. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, I tried the Technics Baerwald, and the magic vanished. Went back to the Technics standard gauge, and the magic came back.

Sterling1 likes this.
  8. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Tonearm Alignment Calculator Pro - Vinyl Engine
    Here's a calculation from Vinylengine which shows there is a relatively small amount of divergence between the Stevenson and Technics tracking error schemes, which would mean the schemes are similar but not the same. On another note, I like that Ortofon produces PNP cartridges which honor the Technics tracking error scheme. That makes cartridge mounting and alignment moot, nice for someone like me who has just about lost all vision.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  9. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

That's what I did with one of mine years ago to accommodate a Sumiko HS-12. Even with my current A-T carts and their Microline styli never a hint of IGD after painstaking alignment with the jig.

SeeDeeFirth and Sterling1 like this.
  10. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have had some trouble with M97xE alignment, too much over thinking on my part perhaps. The cart has been interchanged between a Technics SL-1210GR using Technics headshell and a Sony PS-4750 using SH-135 headshell. It seemed the cart responded best to the Technics scheme so when I put it back on the Sony I used the Sony tracking error scheme rather than others I had experimented with. My thinking was perhaps Sony, just like Technics, knows what's best. At any rate, I set the stylus to headshell tail distance to 49mm and squared the cart per Sony's instructions and now the cart is getting me very satisfying results. In comparison of it and a Shure V15V/SAS which I now have mounted to my Technics Turntable both carts deliver a sound so similar I question the need for the V15V.

11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Regarding VTA, I second the idea of setting it by ear. I'm running my VM540ML tail down, VTA is 1.3mm off with a thicker mat, and I like it much better.

Sterling1 likes this.
  12. englishbob

Word to the wise: Don't take these for granted that they measure to 52mm - Mine does not, its more like 57mm!

A friend of mine was asking about TT setup advice and I sent him a doc and some video links of how to do it. That got me wondering again about my really high antiskate setting (was near 3 when my downforce was 2.0g)

I went back to re-review everything. Dug the manual out, check the overhang again - yep 52mm - that is what the manual says. Put it in the gauge, yep everything checks out perfectly. Let me just measure the actual length of the gauge....

Hang on a minute...

[​IMG]

...the overhang gauge is measuring more 56/57mm!

Ditched the gauge and did it the old school way. Lessons learnt and all that. Reset everything, and now the anti-skate is nearer 2 than 3 these days (about 2.1)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Sterling1 likes this.
  13. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have three Technics gauges and all measure 52mm at center of groove at gauge tip. Nevertheless I also confirmed via a combination square jigged to cart adjusted to a dial caliper setting at 52mm.

Wngnt90 and englishbob like this.
  14. englishbob

Yeah no idea what has gone on with mine. It was a recent purchase, everything seems legit with it - all except the length of it, the most important bit!

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Where on the gage do you start your measure? Where is zero?

16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

zero would be at headshell tail where is secured to the gauge

englishbob likes this.
  17. avanti1960

fyi i press on the headshell slightly when it is in the gauge to fully seat the headshell and washer against the back of the gauge.
    i always fine tune the alignment on the table with the mint lp protractor. the gauge sometimes gets it very close but never perfect for either alignment or overhang.

18. englishbob

See fig. 5-1 in the first post of this thread.

My gauge measures between 56/57 mm to the end, when it should be 52

19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I use the same technique with the same visible results you show it ... and very similar AS force .... for the vm540 and 2 gr of VTF it's more or less 2.4 AS.

The better imaging and channel balance i can get.

20. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

One big mistake people make is assuming all is well with the Technics headshell. In fact, many of them, when in stalled, have an azimuth problem. In other words, they have a lean. In fact when you are tightening the headshell up, you can feel slop between the groove and the pin. Perhaps some of the headshells are counterfeit as well.

I have filed down the pin on the side opposite the lean, so I can lock it into place when it is in straight. How do I know its in straight? I use an aluminum angle (3/4" x 3/4") and set a semi-loose cartridge/headshell assembly on the edge of it (careful of the stylus) and then make sure there is contact all the way across the front, before the final tightening.

Also - turntable needs to be level.

Another thought is that by now, the stylus has plenty of uneven wear and no amount of fix will correct its behavior.

On the Stevenson alignment. it really is old fashioned (IMO), I have my Technics 1200MK2 in a Baerwald and the SL1210MK5 in a Lofgren B (had to file the slots in the headshell out a little to get the stylus out farther. Lofgren B has the lowest averaged tracking error of the 3 and is my favorite if the arm will let me get there.

BTW, I use the blank disc to set my AS. It works great. It will reduce or eliminate IGD, reduce stylus wear and reduce record wear. Win, win and more win.

ConradH's program is pretty nifty and its free! Conrad's Free Stuff its the 3rd one down.

21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I only have experience with one Technics headshell which was included with my SL-1210GR. Azimuth appears to be perfect as gauged by the devices I have to measure it. On the other hand my Sony PS-4750’s headshell locking collar was recently adjusted when gauging revealed azimuth was not correct. I now perceive better sound in all manner that better can be discerned.

22. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Headshell mis-alignment could be widespread or not as bad as I think it is. But, it pays to be suspicious of it. Good to at least check it out.

Sterling1 likes this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The headshell included with the GR has azimuth adjustment, anyway, so not a huge problem if it is off out of the box.

englishbob likes this.
  24. englishbob

Did not know that! Would that GR headshell fit an old SL1200/1210 MKII (and variants) I wonder....

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It should. Kind of pricey, though, unless you need azimuth adjustment on a specifically Technics headshell (like if you need the low weight, or just really like that look).