Cartridge for Rega Planar 6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RD_57, Aug 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD_57

RD_57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all (first time user here), I will be buying my first turntable and have decided on the Planar 6 but I'm not sure on the cartridge. I have heard that the Rega Exact MM has a good amount of warmth but is not as good as the Ania in terms of midrange and highs but the Ania from what I've read doesn't have a huge amount of warmth to it, and so I want something that is as detailed as the Ania but as good in warmth as the Exact. After researching, it seems that the Nagaoka MP-200 is the sweet spot that I'm looking for but I'd like to know what others think, since I won't be able to demo a Planar 6 with MP-200. Any other cartridge recommendations are also appreciated.

The cartridge budget is max £400 (you can get the MP-200 here in the UK for around £340).

Thanks.

2. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

The Nagaoka is a great cart. Ask it’s cousin, the Well Tempered TLC—based on a Nagaoka but tweaked in some way. Very smooth and detailed.

I got my P6 with the Ania and didn’t like the cart. An AT150SA sounded much better to my ear. I’ve had a retipped Apheta 1, a Dynavector 20x2l, a Denon DL-103 on the 6 as well and all were better than the Ania. Some are more money than the Ania, some less.

I’d also consider the Dynavector 10x5 mk 2 high output MC. It has a shibata profile diamond and sounds very good for the money.

Cyclone Ranger and RD_57 like this.
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

I've had AT 44MLa's, Denon 110, Denon 103 and an Exact on the 6 and prefer the Exact.

I'd like to try a Hana at some point.

Ivand, Lucca90 and RD_57 like this.
  4. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

I liked the sound of the Exact on my RP6 as well as on the Planar 6 as I did a swap when I got the Planar 6 with Ania cart just to try the Exact on it. Not a ton of difference between the sound of the Exact on either tables.

No fuss with either carts for installing.

Ania is more technical and refined than the Exact but the Exact is no slouch either. I really enjoy the Ania and cannot recommend anything else as I have not needed to. I do have a new Benz Micro Glider sitting here but have not installed yet. Using Rega cartridges is just so darn easy... :)

What Phono stage are you going to use with the carts you are looking at? Do you have a MC stage or a combo MC/MM?

RD_57 likes this.
  5. RD_57

Thanks, I'll have to do some research into those you mentioned.

6. RD_57

The amp I use is a vintage Hitachi HA-6 (1983) with a built-in MM/ MC pre-amp. The ease of the Rega cart installation is a plus for me (as I've never done cartridge alignment before), whereas if I decide on a non-Rega cart, I'll have to do the alignment myself and probably use some spacers for the VTA.

7. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

I started with the Ania before switching to a Hana SL around a year ago. Better tracking, less surface noise and a very balanced sound to my ears. That said, I sorta miss the whole Rega synergy thing given that I also have the Fono MC preamp. I'm interested to start seeing more first-hand accounts of the new Ania Pro.

RD_57 likes this.
  8. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I'm very happy with an Ortophon 2M Bronze on my Planar 6.

Albireo and RD_57 like this.
  9. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

I also use the Hana SL on my P6. I had a Nagaoka MP150 which I loved, it was leaps and bounds better than the Exact, to my ears. I really dig the Hana, just as “warm” as the Nagaoka with better tracking and more detail....and it is only about 1mm taller than Rega carts I believe, so no spacers needed.

RD_57 and jheyesen like this.
  10. RD_57

Yes, I've heard a lot of good things about Hana cartridges on the Planar 6 but unfortunately the SL is out of my price range. How about the EL on the Planar 6?

11. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

I haven’t heard it, but I would imagine it’s a nice cartridge.

12. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

I have also ordered a Planar 6, albeit, it's not my first turntable. I did opt for the Ania cartridge and would be happy to share how it sounds once I get it... I am making a considerable upgrade as I'm moving up from a Rega RP1 with the stock Carbon MM cartridge, so I'm expecting a significant improvement.

james and Lucca90 like this.
  13. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I am one of the crazy people that believe a manufacturer does their best to design a cartridge that works flawlessly with their turntables. In your case either the Exact at $1,995.00 or the Ania at $2,195.00 .

Let me just say that I recently purchased my first Rega table, and this is the first turntable that I have truly heard a significant difference with my record collection. If you have not seen the Rega factory tour, take a few minutes to look at it, the design
    experience is just so evident. This company appears to really know how to design a turntable, from the least expensive to the most expensive. The factory tour has (4) parts. I enjoyed every video, so much that I bought the Planar 8 with Apheta III.

If I was purchasing the Planar 6, it would be with the Ania cartridge, you will NOT be disappointed. You will immediately notice the absolute precision in manufacturing every product, especially the cartridges, it's exacting to the point my eyes got tired. The alignment precision, it's just very convincing!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    IRG and Toneboner like this.
  14. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

These are great videos and I especially love how Rega has painted all of their office trim the same color as my RP6! :D

[​IMG]

cut-out, Litejazz53 and Bryan T like this.
  15. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

Just received my new Planar 6/Ania Cart. Wow! I didn't realize that going from an RP1/Carbon MM cart to this would be such a noticeable difference. Granted, I'm obviously in the honeymoon stage, but my whole setup sounds different. I'm setting up my RP1 with my secondary system, but I can't imagine I'll be using it much.

16. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

That's quite an upgrade and one I've been thinking of making myself, except I have a RP1/Bias and am considering the P6/Exact combo.

What differences are you finding so far?

Toneboner likes this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Hana EL will pair well with the Rega. It's one of the few carts that can be aligned to a Lofgren (B) geometry on a Rega table, which results in much better overall performance than the standard Rega geometry in my experience.

The Hana carts have styli that are so well-aligned with the cantilever and body that Rega's lack of Azimuth adjustability is a non-issue. The real value in Hana carts is the care taken in their construction. It's why the EL can compete with carts twice its price, despite having an unremarkable aluminum cantilever and elliptical stylus. I recently purchased a $600 Sumiko cartridge (also made by Excel corp) and I can't get it to sound as good as what I know the ELs are capable of, even though the Sumiko has a more advanced stylus cut.

18. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

So far I'm finding the sound to be more "accurate" if that makes sense. The bass is tight and responsive, the treble and mid-range are more detailed. Ear candy!

VinylCountdown and luckyno13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.