Cartridge or phono pre?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by olschl, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

No, you would not have to. The Tavish can handle MC carts as well. However, you could if you wanted to do so. Just don't change the setting to MC on the Tavish if you use a step up

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Your question is perfectly OK! :)

No, their products will handle both MM and Low Voltage MC carts.

You won't need to spend any additional money to purchase an external SUT.

3. olschl

olschl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw a MS Phonomena II on the Bay and bid. Eventually got it for $295. I think that's a pretty good deal. So the answer to the original question "Cartridge or Phono Pre?" turned out to be 'Both.'
    I'll have to wait a while for the tonearm. One barrier is that unless I can find one with the same geometry as the Sumiko MMT; I'll have to add $230 for a new armboard.
    The Sumiko has a pivot to spindle of 221.7 and a 3/4" cut out, if anyone know of a good candidate. A search of the Vinyl Engine database turned up no real matches with removable headshells.

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Congratulations.

I don't know anything about armboards, but can't you just buy a fancy wood plank from Home Depot for a lot less? :)

5. olschl

Actually, MDF might be a good material for an Oracle armboard, but the armboard has to slip into a 3.5" round hole with a lot of precisely located cuts and holes and a certain weight and I'm not that skilled. Nor do I have the proper tools. I think I'd need a drill press. I'm the kind of carpenter who has to cut a board 3 times and it's still too short. ;^)

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I know what you mean. For most of my life my tool kit consisted of a hammer, two screwdrivers and a vise-grip. Well, good luck. :)

7. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

This is an interesting unit. My question is can you buy the classic version and then roll the tubes to anything you may want to buy aftermarket?
    Steve

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes, you can roll tubes in any of Tavish's products.

At the time of purchase, you have the opportunity to purchase upgraded tubes, if you wish.

Since the manufacturer is familiar with their units, you may want to take some of their tube recommendations into consideration.

9. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

This is what Tavish says about replacement tubes on their Vintage model:

Vacuum tubes last much longer than most people realize, and although the lifetime of any particular tube is impossible to predict, hopefully it should be many years before any tube replacement is necessary. Replace tubes with the same type: only 6SL7GT tubes can be used in the phono stage. In particular, many people confuse the 6SL7 with the 6SN7. Unfortunately, the 6SN7 cannot be used in any position in the phono stage.

The unit is normally supplied with either Sovtek 6H9C/6SL7GT or Tung Sol Reissue 6SL7GT tubes. It is also OK to use new, old-stock (NOS) 6SL7GT tubes in the phono stage, although they do tend to be noisier, so you should be aware of potentially higher noise if you do use them. Noise is primarily an issue with the input tube (the right front tube). The noise levels in the electronics are well below the surface noise on vinyl LPs, so you may wish to choose the input tube by other criteria as well.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

@SandAndGlass I am taking the plunge with a Tavish Vintage. I will take notes and hope to post my findings in a few weeks.

11. olschl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.