Cartridge Sale? Best time to buy?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by bmusic, Jul 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

When is the best time to buy a cartridge? Do these ever go on sale? Can anybody recommend any retailers with reasonable prices? I was looking to get a Hana MC (or other high end cartridge) that normally goes for way less than $1000. Under $500 would be ideal.

2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

What I like tk so to get the best bang for the buck is buy a used cartridge that either has quite a few hours on it or is damaged and then send it in to get fixed to soundsmith for example. Got a 20x2L for $500 completely rebuilt with a better stylus than comes with it. Better than the $1200 new

ggergm and bmusic like this.
  3. Fred Dender

Fred Dender Forum Resident

That sounds complicated and unlawful,

4. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

totally not unlawful - he's just buying a used cartridge and having the stylus/cantilever replaced. Why would that be unlawful?

5. Fred Dender

Fred Dender Forum Resident

I dunno, it’s not the way I would consider to resolve the issue.

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

person buys used Cartridge , sends it in to be rebuilt/Repaired ........... Sounds like a great idea to me if it saves someone some $$$

Swordsandchains and Twinsfan007 like this.
  7. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

You're saying it's against the law to buy a used cartridge then get it repaired? :cop: :crazy:

I would also like to know if there's ever any discounts available? Maybe Black Friday? I'm looking to replace my current cartridge.

Twinsfan007 and Davidmk5 like this.
  8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Buying a non-functioning cartridge and having it rebuilt is a great way to save money. I've done it. The problem is you aren't getting what the original manufacturer intended.

Take the example upthread of having a Dynavector 20x2 cartridge rebuilt by Soundsmith. There's nothing wrong with that. I owned and loved the 20x2. I've been using a Soundsmith cartridge on one of my turntables for over a decade. But you aren't getting a Dynavector 20x2 when it's rebuilt. You're getting one that's a Dynavector/Soundsmith hybrid. You're getting parts and labor from both companies. It's not the same as having a small block Chevy V-8 dropped into your classic Ford but that's the idea.

Whenever possible, I like sticking with a cartridge that only has the manufacturer's fingers into it. You know what you are buying. By reading reviews, here or on the Web, you can get an idea of what you'll hear. With a rebuilt one, you have to accept a lot on faith.

@bmusic, do you have a relationship with a store now, either on the Internet or a brick and mortar one? That's the way you get a deal. Ask them for it. It's OK to ask, especially if you've done business with them in the past. Don't expect the world. They aren't making that much money. But somewhere between 10-20% off is not unreasonable. The more exclusive the cartridge, the less of a discount should be expected.

chazz101s and bmusic like this.
  9. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks! I’ll have to check with Hi Fi Heaven.

ggergm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.