Cartridge suggestion/thoughts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romero, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romero

Romero Forum Resident Thread Starter

so through much patience from members, I understand that my mishubishi lt 30 TT has a low mass tone are which means I need a high compliance cart for it. a local shop suggested a grado blue. do you think that would be a good fit? or any other suggestions for a cart to match? my price range is 150ish.

2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

The Ortofon OM 10 is likely a good fit and you can later upgrade to a 20 or 30 nude stylus.

3. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

It depends, the Grado blue should be (at least in theory) an excellent match for your tonearm but Grado cartridges have a mellow warm sound which goes well with some genres but at the expense of detail and speed.

4. Romero

well just some background. I have Marantz 1200b and ads l1290 speakers and generally just listen to jazz and nice female vocals. so clarity and smooth are two words that come to mind when I think about what my ideal sound would be from my system. with those details, does that lead you to suggesting another cart or would the blue fit that?

thanks!!

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Along with compliance, consider gain? How much gain does you phono preamp supply or add to what the cartridge will produce?

6. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

If you enjoy listening to jazz and female vocals I think you will love Grado cartridges but just to be sure listen to these samples and tell me which one do you like more:

Grado gold

Audio Technica AT95ML (min 3:00)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL472A8M8_A

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  7. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I don't buy into the "this cartridge is good for Jazz" sort of thing.

Good cartridges have a wide, flat response (they're uncolored), and they track superbly.

They'll play any groove accurately.

I'd run from any cartridge said to play any one genre best.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

There is no perfect cartridge and no perfectly flat cartridge. Grado cartridges are not neutral but they are very euphonic and it's not a myth that they shine with jazz.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Other question will be Hum issues. Grado cartridges work well on some turntables, but not on others. Ortofon OM 10's a safer bet.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Romero

I have heard about that hum issue for grado, idk how real that is, but I have read that before

11. Romero

I hear you on that, but I do think some carts sound better with the sounds that jazz usually produces. so maybe its less a genre thing as it is the type of instruments used.

12. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Grado Hum Database
    grado hum

Mitsubishi LT-20 (very similar model) Grado Green No Hum, G2 No Hum.

McLover likes this.
  13. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Grado prestige cartridges hum because they are unshielded. (In most cases, the hum is so low that it won't be a deal-breaker). The Grado Hum Database will help you.
    Grado Hum Database- Vinyl Engine

McLover likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed. I have a wide variety of genres here and need my main cart to be able to play everything well.

15. Romero

That's awesome theres a database with all that information. looks like im getting a grado green for my mishubishi lt 30. thanks so much

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Vinyl Engine Grado hum database says you'll be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.