Carver and Emotiva: SPLITSVILLE!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I was hoping for this to last. Oh well.

3. ServingTheMusic

Let's see what the PR sculpted reasons are..then maybe we can find out the real details.

4. triple

triple Senior Member

This reminds me of another much talked-about merger that just did not happen: Kondo and Marshall. I never realized how they thought it would work out.

5. ServingTheMusic

Yeh, like HP an Compaq. Manufactured for the purpose of paying out huge acquisition bonuses, banker and lawyer fees, and generally screwing everyone but the scumgbags in the inner circle.

Of course, in the Carver/Emotiva merger, none of this was at play since it was rather minuscule in the greater scheme of things.

My personal guess, again my guess, is that they pulled the rug out from Carver and decided they wanted to build in China which freaked
    him out.

6. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

So the prices will go up again?

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It seems like Emotiva has had some issues recently when trying different partners or ventures. Just recently they were going to offer TacT room correction on the yet to be released XMC-1. That didn't work out which wasn't a shock looking at TacT's history of not taking care of their customers. A short lived attempt at selling the Sherbourn line first to custom installers only then internet direct. All Sherbourn products were sold at close out pricing with only a few products left being sold. Now the end of a partnership with Carver. I have thought for quite awhile that Emotiva should have stayed small and focused on amps which are quite good and priced very well.

Bill

8. ServingTheMusic

Yup.

9. ServingTheMusic

As the saying goes...in reference to Emotiva, when they end one of their romances, they say.."it's me, NOT you."

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That could be true. But there has to be a hidden story somewhere as to why there have been so many failed "romances" ;).

Bill

11. ServingTheMusic

Maybe they are assholes? LOL.:D

KT88 likes this.
  12. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I bought a preamp during the GW birthday sale last year and talked to a technician. He couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Though I can't speak for upper management.

13. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Not surprised by this news in the least.

KT88 likes this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

I am sure they are the salt of the earth. I was more referring to the carnival barkers at the top of the food chain.

Misery_loves.. and gd0 like this.
  15. Bill Mina

Bill Mina New Member

Things are happening fast with Carver and Emotiva these days. I keep a close eye on both since I have Sunfire equipment (Bob Carver's equipment) and Emotiva because I am on the reservation list for the Emotiva XMC-1 which has a confirmed (finally) release date of 2-14-2014.
    I refer to the XMC-1 as the "Theater Grand 7!" because of Carvers short lived corroboration with Emotiva. I found out however the relationship goes back quite a few years. This came about by accident when I discovered that the Sherbourn processors were built by Sunfire (Carver outfit) and are identical to the Theater Grand virtually, if you look at them from the back, only with the Sherbourn front end on board. It was thru Ebay that I made the discovery when looking at some used gear.
    Why TG 7? Well there were the Sunfire processors 1 thru 4 and then the first unit to incorporate HDMI switching was the 5. Then the Chinese made TGP 401 that had mixed reviews and had been dropped a few years ago.
    So comes the 7..........not really........Dan Laufman refers to it (the XMC-1)at Emotiva as a "clean sheet design".
    Very excited about getting my paws on one, though my TG 2 is still performing nicely, just no lossless.

Bill Mina

16. ServingTheMusic

Things may be happening fast..but maybe not so much for Carver. His company website no longer exists.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bill,

You are right in that the Sherbourn PT 7010A and the Emotiva DMC-1 were based on the Sunfire Theater Grand IV. This link to a review on Audioholics shows the rear panel of all three units. But I doubt that Bob Carver had much if anything to do with the XMC-1. Wasn't Bob Carver involved with Emotiva just to build tube amps? The most recent Sunfire processor is the Theater Grand Processor TGP-401 from 2008. It looks like a company called Nortek now owns Sunfire. I would say that the XMC-1 is a "clean sheet design" by looking at all the specs. I can't think of any processor available now that has those specs or platform. I'll believe it when I see it as far as the 2/14/14 release date for the XMC-1 ;).

Bill

18. Bill Mina

Bill Mina New Member

You're right for sure........just took a look. Sunfire Corp. still refers to him at that site but who knows. I suppose Carver is in limbo at the moment with the quick in and out with Emotiva.
    Sounds like Emotiva is going to introduce their own line of tube amplifiers on their own.
    Personally, I have no interest there, I just hope nothing happens to delay the XMC-1 AGAIN!

BILL

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I sold Sherbourne whenthe werethe new kid on the block. Their 5x200 WPC amplifoer was a good value. I loved that fact tha it was a one man show with Ron answeing the phone. Is he back following the breakup?

20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

PS, I regret not buying one of his amps on employee pricing, but I was stretching to buy a newfangled Sherwood receiver with DTS and an analog 5.1 input. That receiver lasted 11 years before being gifted to a friend.

21. Bill Mina

Bill Mina New Member

22. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

"Let's get thesis things built in China" was my exact same thought, I can see Carver not being cool with that.

23. ServingTheMusic

Especially when the "Big Announcement" was made stressing they would build in the USA.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The original Sherbourn amps were absolute beasts :eek:. I had a 7-2100A in my system for a short while. It was 120lbs. and getting it into my rack caused some severe back pain :help:. But the 7-2100A with it's seven seperate torodial tranformers had serious hum issues (from the amp) even in stand by. I would say the issue was due more to the electrical system in my house than the amp itself. I sold the amp and the buyer never contacted me with any issues with the amp.

I recently bought a Sherbourn 7-150A when Emotiva closed out the Sherbourn line. It's a nice amp but not based on the original Sherbourn amps. It is based on the discontinued UPA-7 amp but with XLR inputs added. I highly doubt Ron Fone will be back running Sherbourn. It looks like Sherbourn as a company will no longer exsist unless Jade Designs (parent company of Emotiva) sells the name. Too bad as it was a pleasure to speak with Ron the few times I called Sherbourn about the 7-2100A.

Bill

25. Bill Mina

Bill Mina New Member

It seems like Emotiva has had some issues recently when trying different partners or ventures. Just recently they were going to offer TacT room correction on the yet to be released XMC-1. That didn't work out which wasn't a shock looking at TacT's history of not taking care of their customers.

This is the latest on the XMC-1
    They have stated a firm release date of 2/14/2014 and claim to have ordered all necessary components for mass production. Dirac is the room correction going into it.

Bill Mina
    http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.