Carver TFM-15CB problem ... on a Friday night!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by johnnyb1964, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please! Thread Starter

OK ... not expecting a diagnosis and maybe I’m just venting ... but I came home and turned on my amp and there is a steady hum coming out of my speakers! If the preamp isn’t on, it still hums, so it is a problem with the Carver. I moved the interconnects around, but the hum is still there. I know the amp is pretty old and of a somewhat unique design, but I am very disappointed that I can’t play any music on a Friday night. Does anyone have a wild guess as to what this can be, or what I can do further to diagnosis it? I have another higher power Carver amp I may switch out - a TFM-55. It’s a lot more power than I need for my speakers. I don’t know. Maybe I should sell the 55 and just buy a new amp. Any help or comments appreciated.

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm guessing the power supply capacitors are past their expiration date. A tech should be able to replace them and you'll be good to go.

3. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please! Thread Starter

Thanks. I’m going to look for a local tech tomorrow. The people I used to use closed last year. I don’t know anything about electronics. I would like to fix it. Don’t really want to buy a new amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.