Cat Stevens - Mona Bone Jakon & Tea for the Tillerman super deluxe editions coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Sep 18, 2020.

1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member Thread Starter

I was reading the latest issue of Goldmine last night (Nov 2020), with Cat Stevens on the cover, and apparently there are super deluxe editions of Mona Bone Jakon & Tea for the Tillerman coming. It didn't say when. There's a lengthy interview with Cat/Yusuf which discusses the reissues in some detail. I assumed the interview was going to be about the new Tea 2 release, which is does touch on, but it's primarily about the other 2. Have not seen this info posted anywhere yet so thought I'd share the (potentially) good news!

2. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

can't believe I don't own Tea for the Tillerman in any format! (used it have it on cassette).
    So, yeah, I'd be up for a SDE of that album.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I tried to listen to the new version of Tea this morning and lasted two songs. Just made me miss the original.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

5.1's of the original albums may be good.

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I would purchase these, as long as they're not priced as ridiculously high as the 'Back To Earth' deluxe re-issue.

bluerondo, Mike McMann, g.z. and 2 others like this.
  6. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

This... this is the correct answer to everything :D

g.z. likes this.
  7. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

From Amazon U.K.:

Tea For The Tillerman (Super Deluxe Edition)

“Following his spiritual and artistic rebirth, and hot on the heels of his incredibly well received release, ‘Mona Bone Jakon’, Cat Stevens unveiled his second album of the year in November 1970 … and it was to become one of the defining musical statements of the new decade. ‘Tea For The Tillerman’, not only consolidated Cat’s success in the UK and forged him a glittering new career in the USA, it also set him on the road to global superstardom and gave the world songs like ‘Wild World’, ‘Father & Son’, ‘Where Do The Children Play?’ and many more.

To commemorate the album’s 50th anniversary comes this definitive super deluxe box set of Tea For The Tillerman’. With the songs’ messages as powerfully relevant today as they were in 1970, the original album is represented here on CD by a brand new 2020 remaster at Abbey Road Studios by Geoff Pesche, overseen by original producer Paul Samwell-Smith, as well as a new 2020 Mix on CD by David Hefti. It also includes, in full, Yusuf’s September 2020 reimagined ‘Tea For The Tillerman 2’ album featuring new interpretations of the classic originals. The box also includes an exclusive fourth CD of outtakes, alternate versions and demos, and a fifth featuring 25 live performances from 1971 including some recorded at the legendary LA music venue The Troubadour.

Alongside the 5CDs and gatefold vinyl LP the box also comes with a live 12” vinyl E.P. of the Troubadour recordings and, on BluRay, the original promo video of ‘Father & Son’, plus live performances, and the HD audio of the new ‘Tea For The Tillerman’ 2020 Mix. Also included is a 98-page beautifully illustrated hardcover book with extensive new sleevenotes. Finally housed in a card envelope within the box is a ‘Pick Up A Good Book’ bookmark, a Yusuf / Cat Stevens designed ‘Miles From Nowhere’ print, a reproduction handwritten lyric sheet for ‘Miles From Nowhere’, a fold-out ‘Live From The Troubadour 1970’ poster, and a ‘Tea For The Tillerman’ sticker.”

Mona Bone Jakon (Super Deluxe Edition)

“Back in 1970 and following a period of illness and recuperation, singer-songwriting troubadour Cat Stevens re-emerged with a new record deal with Island Records and a spiritual and artistic rebirth. ‘Mona Bone Jakon’, his first album for Island, showcased a markedly different change in direction for Cat, unveiling with it a remarkable set of new compositions that included classics like ‘Trouble’, ‘Maybe You’re Right’ and the UK hit single ‘Lady D’Arbanville’.

To commemorate the album’s 50th anniversary comes this definitive super deluxe box set of ‘Mona Bone Jakon’. Sounding as fresh as the day it was recorded, the original album is represented here by a brand new 2020 remaster of ‘Mona Bone Jakon’ by Geoff Pesche at Abbey Road, overseen by original producer Paul Samwell-Smith 2020 on CD, as well as a new 2020 Mix by David Hefti on both CD and LP. The set also includes an exclusive third CD of previously unreleased demos, and a fourth featuring 18 live performances from 1970/71.

This box is rounded out with a live 12” etched vinyl E.P. of a rare audience recording of ‘Live At Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival’ from August 1970, and with a BluRay disc featuring the original promo video of ‘Lady D’Arbanville’, plus eight live TV performances, and the HD audio of the new Mona Bone Jakon 2020 Mix. Also included is a 98-page beautifully illustrated hardcover book with extensive new sleevenotes. Finally there’s also a selection of memorabilia including Island Records press kit, two Island press photos, a replica 1970 Plumpton Jaxx and Blues flyer, a Cat Stevens tour sticker and ‘dustbin’ greetings card and pop art print in a card envelope.”

Hep Alien, g.z., deadbirdie and 2 others like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Another disappointing release. Abbey Road the kings of lousy digital transfers and masterings of nicely recorded all analog titles. I will not waste my money on this. I already learned my lesson.

9. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Released date 12/4, $180 each:
    Yusuf / Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman Super Deluxe Edition – uDiscover Music

Yusuf / Cat Stevens - Mona Bone Jakon Super Deluxe Edition – uDiscover Music

I wonder if there will be lesser-priced versions without all the vinyl and printed stuff?

Hep Alien, Starwanderer and g.z. like this.
  10. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:agree: I hope so. This release is priced way beyond my reach.
    I would love to have the live stuff.

Hep Alien, JasonA and Jerryb like this.
  11. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Joe N, Hep Alien and JasonA like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I will say that Mona Bone Jakon continues to be seriously underappreciated as an album. If it just had a different picture on the cover, it would be regarded as part of the trilogy of masterworks. Book it.

Sneaky Pete, A6mzero, Ludger and 8 others like this.
  13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, those are nice looking sets. Unfortunately this fall has become so expensive that these two are likely out of my budget at this point. I will pick up the 2cd sets though, and maybe hope the box sets come down in price.

DmitriKaramazov, Ludger and g.z. like this.
  14. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: I regard it.

Fitter Stoke, lucan_g and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

$$$$$$$$

g.z. likes this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

savemenow, g.z. and JasonA like this.
  17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I suspect these two will be a lot cheaper to buy not long after release.

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Each box is an interesting 2cd set of demos and live stuff surrounded by money grab bloat.

I hope the demos are better than what we got on Down to Earth.

19. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I guess there's also a Deluxe of Teaser ready to go.

"Changes IV (Demo Version)" - Cat Stevens

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

There's Deluxe Cat all over YT.

"Bitterblue (Royal Albert Hall 1972)" - Cat Stevens

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

As with all such boxes, make the vinyl and CDs separate releases!!! I don’t want to pay for vinyl I’m never going to play! I’ll wait and see if it gets a big price drop, otherwise no thanks.

coepc, agentalbert, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The same **** as Back to earth. And I won't buy it for exact the same reason.
    Why am I forced to buy crappy vinyl when I don't listen to this sort of crap ?
    I just want a digital version with all of the content.

agentalbert, Mr-Beagle and Peter_R like this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

These are from the deluxe edition that came out in 2008.

I’m sure they’re preparing a super deluxe edition, though.

Hep Alien and g.z. like this.
  24. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: My mistake. And I have it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  25. belardd

belardd Senior Member

agree completely - no interest in vinyl
    may buy the 2cd package

Bill007, Mr-Beagle and g.z. like this.