"Cats" - The Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

My memory is half the cast were sitting in the aisle before the show, the lights went down and there's a long tape of sound effects (similar to Bowie's Diamond Dogs tour) and the cats walk from the audience onto the stage.

It's actually much better than you'll think it'll be.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The play begins with an empty stage, with no curtain. There is the sound of a car exhaust driving by.

Then you see Munkustrap and he starts to sing.

Jellicle Songs (Part 1) | Cats the Musical

You don't see the cats before the play begins and then they appear one at a time during the above song.

The performers from Hair interact with the audience.

Mylene likes this.
  3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I can't wait to see Idris Elba slink up to the counter in the milk bar and ask for a dish of whole milk.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Also, they already made a perfect movie about cats

sound chaser likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

seed_drill and beccabear67 like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

Here is where it comes from in the play.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How I wish that scene would be among famous "lost" scenes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I last saw it in 2015 so I might have some facts wrong but I swear there was at least one cat sitting in the aisle before the show, purring and rubbing herself against the seats

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

68 years old and looked 50! Did anyone ever age better than Paul Newman?

Capt. Cadillac likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you went to a strip joint by accident...

SandAndGlass and mrjinks like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

In general, I think it looks great. Not really understanding those put off by this trailer. "Cats" is fantasy-based musical theatre. If you don't buy into that basic concept up-front, then it's not for you (any more than the stage production would be). I think it will be an amazing experience when seen on a big screen with good sound. I suspect the "uproar" is more orchestrated publicity than anything else.

My main objection to these major studio adaptations is when they cast known box-office draws that constantly take me out of my suspension-of-disbelief. Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson, & James Corden shouldn't be here, because they do just that unfortunately, imo.

Thankfully they cast a real dancer as the principle dance lead. Francesca Hayward looks fantastic. I expect she & other cast performers with real musical theater chops will serve the production well. Dame Judi & Sir Ian, despite their fame, are amazingly capable of disappearing into a role & I welcome them here too.

Deesky likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

The entire movie was one of the most creative pre-starwars sci-fi movies made.

Mostly before CGI, just models and green screen.

The only CGI was the superimposed graphic in the carousel scene.

14. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I wasn't creeped out by the trailer at all. I saw it and was pretty ambivalent about it. Not saying it sparked my interest, but I certainly didn't have the visceral reaction that the rest of the internet seemed to have had. I just saw a story on MSNBC about it, and think it's insane that it's getting so much attention and hate. Sometimes I think in the age of everything going "viral" people just react the way the internet tells them to, so they don't feel out of step with "everyone".

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here's something I posted on Facebook yesterday.

By now, you've probably seen the trailer for Cats and thought "that's a weird idea for a musical." Well, need I remind you we've had musicals in the past about a flesh-eating Venus flytrap, glam aliens, a trans woman punk rock star of stage and screen, a barber and his baker accomplice, Sesame Street and La Bohéme transplanted to the Lower East Side, Romeo and Juliet where Lincoln Center now stands, a fat girl fighting for integration, a deaf dumb and blind pinball aficionado, a flying nanny, a comedy of errors set in Greece and fueled by one of the greatest pop music catalogs of the 70s, a singing nun, Mormons, two about our Founding Fathers, two about the Son of God, a libelous one about the spiritual leader of Argentina and a Cinderella story with toy trains played by actors on roller skates.

16. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't get it either. I actually loved the visuals in the trailer. This musical is not my cup of tea, but it sure isn't because of the way the characters look. If anything, that would make me want to see it more than say a more conventional adaptation.

agaraffa and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I another big bomb for Universal.. first Mortal Engines now this..
    What I can't figure out why is amblin, green lighting this and west side story?
    Is steven in charge ? it doesn't seem like he is.

19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

"And the award for unexpected misogyny in a musical thread goes to..." :laugh:

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw the trailer today right before the Lion King.

Wasn't creeped out about it at all.

Saw the play many years ago. Had some good songs but not much of a plot.

21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The play was well received at the time it came out, and while not my cup of tea, I can understand why it was a hit.

I think fans are more upset with the treatment it's appearing to get for the film, than they are with the original work.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

24. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I'm waiting for a new FaceApp "furry look" challenge.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I find corden and rebel Wilson eternally annoying but......I do love a musical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.