CBS gives “Murphy Brown” revival a 13-episode order; Candice Bergen, creator Diane English to return

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

So are you against this out of principle or because it's not any good...I can't tell.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The show has gotten better as the season progressed. I agree with the politics, but the first five or so episodes were terrible and made me want to drop it entirely. The first episode I enjoyed was the awards one.

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Probably both........

4. I've enjoyed seeing these characters again although they seem to have muzzled Murphy Brown a bit this time around. One season is the right thing to do because the writing hasn't been that great.
    To me this season was like a Rolling Stones concert in recent years. Nothing ground shaking but it's nice to see them again and nice to know they can still do it even if it's less intense of an experience these days.

dirwuf likes this.
  5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Certainly the former. The dismissive and unsolicited argumentative tone gives him away.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's got a .9 rating and several above-the-line people who are making more than $250,000 a week. I bet it's at least $3 million an episode. You don't pay that kind of money for .9 ratings.

We watched the first three episodes, said "eh" and killed the season pass. Not worth my time.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It was brought back for a reason. It succeeded and failed in the same stroke. There’s no point to this crap. Later.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The show wasn't crap. I believe the reason was to send a political message, but the reason it didn't work, the reason enough people just didn't watch the show, is because the audience that would agree with the messages just don't watch prime-time TV anymore.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. nano nano

nano nano Forum Resident

I'm glad I tuned into this thread. I learned that TV reboots are not creatively lazy. I also learned that "broadcast networks are producing more original programming than ever before." So, as you flip through your TV channels in the coming years and see nothing but retreads, remember you are incorrect to perceive this as an ignoble trend. Instead, these reboots are simply evidence that there's more new programs than ever!

(And if anyone really believes these things, I have a brand new script about a poor family living on a mountain in Depression-era Virginia to sell you...)

arley, Grant and unclefred like this.
  10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Last night's episode was absolutely brilliant.

darkmass and Grant like this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

Those were by far the worst. Later ones have ranged from mediocre to amusing. Current events were much more entertaining during the initial run of the show.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Does he barely keep his family fed...? Does he shoot at some crude one day? Because I'm sure that would test pretty well with a focus group.

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

He was referring to The Waltons...

Grant likes this.
  14. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

The first episode I actually enjoyed was the Thanksgiving episode last week, and last night's episode was pretty good, too.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And the difference matters becauuusssse...?
    Iit's the same relevant point, different examples.
    (Unless, of course somebody in a roundtable meeting pitches it as, "It's like The Waltons meets This Is Us..." :rolleyes: )
    (And the intern in the corner says, "Oh, so we're off retreads again, now we're back to mashups?"; then the guy in the suit says, "SSHHH! You're not supposed to TALK ABOUT IT-!")

16. AKA

17. DreadPikathulhu

Not a surprise. I think it said what it had to say, it’s just too bad they wasted so much of the early part of the season saying it poorly.

AKA likes this.
  18. AKA

Yeah, most of it was really bad — and I’m someone who shares the show’s politics. I can only think of one episode of the revival I thought was good.

19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I thought it was half as good as the original but still better that almost any comedy on the air now. Perhaps it failed because it didn't have the two requisite types of relationships every modern show is required to have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.