CBS is apparently looking to sell historic Television City complex. SOLD!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

What I especially wonder is if CBS is going to toss out all the taping schedules that they had kept there over every program shot there since 1952? Someone was able to gain access from them and find 24 months worth of taping schedules of The Price Is Right (August 1972-July 1974).

2. Matt W.

Matt W. Forum Resident

Does CBS store any of its archive in television city? I wonder where those films and tapes are going.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

All Goodson-Todman shows that were taped there are archived at Fremantle's headquarters in London, England.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, studio done been sold for $750,000,000:

CBS Corp. (CBS) to Sell CBS Television City for $750 Million

CBS will now just be a "tenant" for the time being, since "Hackman Capital Partners" has bought the entire building and all the real estate. It'll probably be similar to what happened with NBC Burbank, where the building still stands but most of the corporate offices get moved to other buildings the network owns.

Yes, there is a massive vault underneath the parking lot that goes across Beverly Blvd. at Fairfax. I was down there once and saw the original negatives and mag tracks for Amos & Andy, behind locked gates and wire mesh screen. Tons of stuff, old and new.

MarkTheShark, SRC and Dan C like this.
  5. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

It all boils down to the current owner and who produced it originally. CBS produced the program @Vidiot mentioned as well as The Carol Burnett Show using another example, so said massive vault underneath the parking lot has the episodes of those two shows.

Goodson-Todman shows were acquired by All-American Television, which later transferred to Pearson Television and lastly to Fremantlemedia, and the tapes now sit across the pond in a vault in London, England. I believe that's where Press Your Luck and Let's Make a Deal (all surviving 70's episodes, the 1984-1986 run, and the current 2009-Present run) are also archived at.

Dan C likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And in a sad development, noted VO actor/author Randy West notes the following on Facebook today:

"The sadness begins... The magnificent CBS headquarters, Television City, was sold last month and the dismantling has begun. All CBS signage is being removed. The guard shack at Fairfax and Genesse was first to lose its eye, the rest will follow in the coming weeks.

The sale included the name "Television City;" the facility's new name: Television City Studios. The CBS shows presently being produced there will continue through a rental agreement for the foreseeable future.

Speechless. The happiest days of my career were there."

[​IMG]

:cry:

MLutthans likes this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Ouch. :cry:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And now the "Eye" and the word "CBS" has been removed from the entire Television City complex at Beverly Boulevard & Fairfax as of today...
    [​IMG]

Dan C likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's those pictures again of the CBS Eye removed from the building...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Man, I considered that sign a landmark for both navigation and media.

Hope those get put in a museum and not tossed in the garbage (like the CBS Letterman set was.)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

This is very sad. I worked there every day for 10 years, next to the helipad. (Yes, there's a helipad.)

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Working mornings at a station in Bakersfield, my promotions director and I had occasions to drive down for various events. He drove me past it once, he seemed a lot more stoked about it than I was. Not the passion for the local landmark flavor, I guess. But I do understand in the television-history scheme of things how this must hit a lot of you pretty hard. It's an iconic location you thought would survive WWIII, probably. I suppose in L.A, lots of people must get sick of landmarks getting swept-off their landscape.

Where I come from in the midwest, losing just one more K-Mart to make way for a Hobby Lobby simply doesn't have the same earth-shattering effect.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What’s going up.? Probably condos.

14. Dan C

Articles posted earlier here indicate the building is safe, but there’s a lot of unused land around it that can be utilized for more studio and mixed use projects.

The new owners do have a good track record of adapting historic properties with decent sensitivity to preservation.

It’s sad to see the CBS logos go and this storied era end, but I don’t think it’s quite time to plan for the building’s funeral just yet.

I hope. :sweating:

dan c

15. Dan C

I highly doubt that’s the original signage, but it would be cool it it ended up at one of the new CBS properties as kind of a symbolic link to the past.

dan c

16. That place was dump. I worked on a project there. I'm all about living in the past, but that place was way past it's prime and it's usefulness.

17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

How so?

18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Dan C likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.