CCR drummer Doug Clifford says band's full Woodstock performance is expected to be released in 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arisinwind, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

When I got the Monterey box, I was amazed at how great some of the performances were. Hendrix of course was the star, but The Byrds set was great fun. Even someone like The Association rocked much harder than I expected.

2. Who else did Zaentz rip off? I only ever heard about Fogerty.

Anyway, the issue with Fogerty isn't that he was a "young kid" - even though I think he was in his 20s when he signed the deal - but that he seems to think he's the smartest guy in the room and is more capable than he is. I mean, this was hardly the only bad decision he made that ended up costing him - and in some instances, his bandmates - millions over the years.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed!...a rare deal or us...

Sidetracked and Kim Olesen like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Unless there is an official promotional announcement, I would not get my hopes up. Perhaps there have been some discussions between the CCR and Fogerty camps, but until it is official, Fogerty could pull out of the deal at any time.

Dave Armstrong and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

The Zaentz story is more complicated than Fogerty allegedly just getting screwed by an entertainment executive. IIRC, Fogerty and the band were offered a piece of Zaentz's business early on and declined, a move that costed them millions and millions of dollars. Fogerty made some bad decisions along the way, and he has been pissed off at the world about it for 5 decades.

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I still consider being in your early 20’s young. Definitely most people are not hip to the ways of the World at that age. He was hard-headed and he did harm himself by refusing to play his own tunes.

However he had the right to terminate his business partnership with his band mates at anytime. He exercised that right. They backed the wrong party in the dispute, by siding with Saul. They also killed the goose that laid the golden egg by insisting that their songs be included on the albums. They cost themselves tons of money. Now they have spent decades playing songs written by John to pay their bills.

Dave Brubeck signed a contract with Saul before John. He was very excited about the deal and thought it would be very profitable and allow him to discover new talent and sign artists. He thought he had an interest in the company and the possibility of starting his own imprint. He had legal representation. He soon realized that all the promises were empty and he had signed a very bad Contract. All he had was a 50% share of his own work. I believe he got out of it when Columbia bought his contract.

Look at it objectively John Fogerty’s songs were the engine that pulled the Fantasy Records train. Too many piggies were feeding at his trough. The record company, it’s owner and the employees, the band and the whole crew, management everyone was getting paid, Saul was getting rich, and John was busting his hump. Arguably, the money to produce the movies Saul invested in was generated by John’s songs. I don’t blame him for taking his ball and going home.

In my experience you get enraged when somebody else has their hands in your pockets. He was also most likely suffering from exhaustion and he was having to fight on multiple fronts. He was betrayed by his own brother it’s like a Shakespearean drama.

I think he acted in his own self interest to save his health and his sanity. He needed to separate himself from the situation and regroup. When he came back he was triumphant, and Saul still had to sue him one last time. Think about that. What a dirt bag.

7. Sneaky Pete

That’s funny Brubeck thought he was offered 50% of the company too. It turned out he wasn’t.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

True, I think it still would be an expensive idea nowadays. But what about releasing the whole festival recordings in a couple volumes? Like, day 1, 2 and 3 in separate sets? And the rainstorm on a free bonus disc?

9. PacificOceanBlue

I am hazy on the specifics (haven't read about it in years), but if CCR was actually offered a piece of Zaentz's company, and actually received their shares, it would have been a valuable asset, likely more lucrative than album royalties in the end. I think Fogerty ultimately gave up somewhere around $40 million by turning down that deal.

What happened with Brubeck? Did he actually enter into a deal, only to discover he did not have ownership shares?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

whoever owns the fantasy catalog now righted john fogerty more than a decade ago so don't worry if there is some clash still with the label.

john is working on a new solo album per his most recent contract he signed

11. arisinwind

arisinwind Visitor Thread Starter

Can you expound on this?

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Shvartze Shabbos and arisinwind like this.
  13. Michael

will we see another BD box set for the Woodstock 5oth Anniversary?

14. Michael

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

Concord (who bought Fantasy) reinstated his performance royalties on CCR recordings, but they did not give him back his publishing.

Sneaky Pete and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. mark winstanley

me too. I got the live album on sacd too and it fits in there perfectly :)

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

me too...was a nice bonus.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Well, 50 years on, I guess it’s not gonna damage Creedence’s career any more, like John Fogerty thought a movie and audio release would, at the time (rightly or wrongly). It’s always been kind of ironic since CCR were I think the first (major) band signed up for Woodstock; lots of folk never realised they had played it; and it ended up (deservedly) helping making the likes of Sly, Santana, and Hendrix, not that CCR needed any help in 69.

19. mark winstanley

I would love a good video of them doing their stuff at Woodstock or wherever ... The Premonition (?) dvd was good but one back in the day would be better

Dave Armstrong and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Fogerty's one fire!

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Yes he signed a contract thinking he was going to get a 50% share of the company and later found out he signed a deal that only gave him 50% of his own works. It must have been some tricky language in that contract.

Even sophisticated business people have been duped by some of these record company contracts. The industy lawyers have had decades to hone the contracts and make them more arcane and complex.

Look at Monster Cable. Noel Lee was notoriously litigious and he had high-powered counsel. He entered into a deal with Dre to help design and then manufacture Beats headphones. He thought he owned a share in Beats. It was only when Apple paid Billions for the Beats brand that he found out he didn’t own squat. He merely had a contract to manufacture the headphones.

I don’t doubt John is a difficult person but I can’t fault him for being duped, at a young age, by a seasoned shark like Saul.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

23. Sneaky Pete

Just do some research it’s out there.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Based on what I've read....On one hand, they never should have signed that contract, or at least gotten advice beyond Stu's dad. On the other, unsure record companies were all lining up to sign them. Though I think it might have been hard to be a Bay Area musician those days and not be signed. For better and worse they had a career. Sure they got ripped off, but they had a career and have a legacy. No small thing.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

All John does the entire show is complain about the sound. Seems like the monitors were useless
    I'm surprised he'd ok this, maybe he after all this time, he just thought F this, I don't care

Dave Armstrong and Sneaky Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.